Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?emVwbGluMTE=?=, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. Hi,
    Hope someone will be kind enough to answer:

    I have XP Media Center on two computers that work great with Remote Desktop
    between each other. I have three other computers in the house (Linksys net)
    running XP Home edition. All three of these can "see" the two computers
    running Media Center with remote desktop; however, the two running Media
    Center cannot see any of the Home Edition's, nor can the three running Home
    Edition see each other.

    MS help is terrible on this matter. The one thing I noted is that with my
    XP MedCen, under properties in "My Computer," under the tab "remote," there
    is an option to allow remote desktop computers, but there is no such option
    under the Home Edition version of XP. Why is this?

    I have tried without my firewalls running, I've messed with the settings
    more times than I can account. I suspect a port is not open or something,
    but everytime I experiment I screw up the network settings.

    Hope that makes sense and I appreciate any suggestions.

    Thanks,
    --
    Barry

    =?Utf-8?B?emVwbGluMTE=?=, Jan 2, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?emVwbGluMTE=?=

    Sooner Al Guest

    XP Home can *NOT* act as a Remote Desktop host, only as a client.

    Look at using VNC as a free alternative...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Thanks Al. I appreciate it.

    I don't understand why the Windows help info doesn't just say that.

    I will try the link you provided. Thanks again.

    Barry

    =?Utf-8?B?emVwbGluMTE=?=, Jan 3, 2005