    tried installing it as mentioned in the microsoft website, but it's still not
    there. If I put my install CD in and go to other tasks there is not one for
    creating a remote connection, so how can i install it ?

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RlcGhlbg==?=, Aug 7, 2006

  2. stephen wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > I cant find my remote desktop function in my communications folder. i have
    > tried installing it as mentioned in the microsoft website, but it's still not
    > there. If I put my install CD in and go to other tasks there is not one for
    > creating a remote connection, so how can i install it ?

    It comes preinstalled with your XP Pro. You should be able to create a
    shortcut to

    %SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe

    execute in

    %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

    HTH

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Aug 7, 2006

  3. Robert has pointed you to what and where it is, but one further comment - if
    you've accidentally posted this question in the 64bit newsgroup, but are
    actually running Windows XP Home Edition - there is no remote desktop on
    Home Edition. This is an XP Pro function only.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RlcGhlbg==?=, Aug 7, 2006
  5. Remote Desktop Support is installed by default. You should be able to access
    it by:
    Right Click on My Computer
    Left Click on Properties on the context menu
    Left Click on the Remote tab on the System Properties menu
    Left Click one time the check box under Remote Desktop "Allow users to
    connect..."
    If you are not going to be sending Remote Assistance invitations uncheck the
    check box under Remote Assistance labled "Allow Remote Assistance..."

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 7, 2006
  6. The exact executable used to open a connection to a client running remote
    desktop is:
    %SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe

    There are seval command line switchs to this which can be obtained by using
    the /? switch. If you are tring to connect to a Windows 2003 server and wish
    to use the logon console session you will need to use the following:

    /v:[host name:[port address]] /console /f

    Example:

    /v:OemServer:4096 /console /f

    The port address is only required if using a non-default port on the server
    otherwise the default of 3389 is used without expression.

    The /f will cause the Remote Desktop session to begin in Full Screen mode.

    Have fun!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 8, 2006