    I have heard that "goToMyPc" can do this, but it also costs $25 a month!
    Any other ones?

    Cheers!

    hellrazor, Oct 11, 2005

  2. hellrazor

    John Holmes Guest

    hellrazor blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi,
    >
    > is there a remote desktop software package which allows the client to
    > initiate the remote session? (instead of "me" trying to connect to the
    > client's computer to control it)
    >
    > I have heard that "goToMyPc" can do this, but it also costs $25 a

    month!
    > Any other ones?
    >
    > Cheers!

    pcAnywhere

    --
    Your mother was a hellish moron who befriended apes down a drain.

    John Holmes, Oct 11, 2005

  3. hellrazor

    hellrazor Guest

    John Holmes <> wrote in news:20051011173239.4001944EA8
    @smtp4.wanadoo.nl:

    > hellrazor blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> is there a remote desktop software package which allows the client to
    >> initiate the remote session? (instead of "me" trying to connect to the
    >> client's computer to control it)
    >>
    >> I have heard that "goToMyPc" can do this, but it also costs $25 a

    > month!
    >> Any other ones?
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>

    > pcAnywhere

    Yes, I have PCAnywhere, but it does not seem to support the feature I am
    looking for.

    1. I want to client to initiate the session, so they would be controlling
    my desktop.

    2. I want to be able to "flip" control, that is, I want to be able to
    control *their* desktop.

    cheers.

    hellrazor, Oct 11, 2005
  4. hellrazor

    John Holmes Guest

    hellrazor blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes <> wrote in
    > news:20051011173239.4001944EA8 @smtp4.wanadoo.nl:
    >
    >> hellrazor blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> is there a remote desktop software package which allows the client
    >>> to initiate the remote session? (instead of "me" trying to connect
    >>> to the client's computer to control it)
    >>>
    >>> I have heard that "goToMyPc" can do this, but it also costs $25 a

    >> month!
    >>> Any other ones?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers!
    >>>

    >> pcAnywhere
    >>

    > Yes, I have PCAnywhere, but it does not seem to support the feature I
    > am looking for.
    >
    > 1. I want to client to initiate the session, so they would be
    > controlling my desktop.
    >
    > 2. I want to be able to "flip" control, that is, I want to be able to
    > control *their* desktop.
    >
    > cheers.

    You can do that with version 10.5 and up. Only thing, to "flip" the
    control, you'll need to disconnect from the session and establish a new
    connection, either from *their* or *your* side.

    --
    Your mother was an uncultured chicken farmer who was so incompetent she
    had to be kept in petrol stations.

    John Holmes, Oct 11, 2005
  5. hellrazor

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:19:43 GMT, hellrazor wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >is there a remote desktop software package which allows the client to
    >initiate the remote session? (instead of "me" trying to connect to the
    >client's computer to control it)
    >
    >I have heard that "goToMyPc" can do this, but it also costs $25 a month!

    Did you try it, if it works it seems a small price.

    >Any other ones?

    That's just swapping aroung the client / server end, or do you mean
    during a single session?

    Why not PCA, with the software on both ends.

    Have you looked at RealVNC, it's free and you can have the client /
    server on each PC.

    >Cheers!

    Me

    why?, Oct 11, 2005
  6. hellrazor

    hellrazor Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:19:43 GMT, hellrazor wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>is there a remote desktop software package which allows the client to
    >>initiate the remote session? (instead of "me" trying to connect to the
    >>client's computer to control it)
    >>
    >>I have heard that "goToMyPc" can do this, but it also costs $25 a month!

    > Did you try it, if it works it seems a small price.
    >
    >>Any other ones?

    > That's just swapping aroung the client / server end, or do you mean
    > during a single session?
    >
    > Why not PCA, with the software on both ends.
    >
    > Have you looked at RealVNC, it's free and you can have the client /
    > server on each PC.
    >
    >>Cheers!

    > Me

    Problem arises when people are behind firewalls, routers, and such and I
    have to talk them through: 1. finding / accessing their router settings,
    2.finding the right settings page, 3. entering the port info to forward,
    etc...

    I have found a solution that lets me bypass firewall / router
    configurations.

    -Install UltraVNC (or any other VNC Server) in the client's machine
    -Install EchoVNC. This lets the client connect to a 3rd party "echo" site.

    http://echovnc.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/1.html

    it works very well, although there's still some talking through the setup
    steps (i.e., not completely idiotproof!). It's pretty straight forward to
    document the steps though.

    hellrazor, Oct 11, 2005
  7. hellrazor

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:39:24 GMT, hellrazor wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >

    >> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:19:43 GMT, hellrazor wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>is there a remote desktop software package which allows the client to
    >>>initiate the remote session? (instead of "me" trying to connect to the
    >>>client's computer to control it)
    >>>
    >>>I have heard that "goToMyPc" can do this, but it also costs $25 a month!

    >> Did you try it, if it works it seems a small price.
    >>
    >>>Any other ones?

    >> That's just swapping aroung the client / server end, or do you mean
    >> during a single session?
    >>
    >> Why not PCA, with the software on both ends.
    >>
    >> Have you looked at RealVNC, it's free and you can have the client /
    >> server on each PC.
    >>
    >>>Cheers!

    >> Me
    >>

    >Problem arises when people are behind firewalls, routers, and such and I

    I should hope so.

    >have to talk them through: 1. finding / accessing their router settings,

    Screen shots as a slide show.

    >2.finding the right settings page, 3. entering the port info to forward,
    >etc...

    Really, that sounds more like a call out fee to configure the
    'security' appliance :)

    >I have found a solution that lets me bypass firewall / router
    >configurations.

    >-Install UltraVNC (or any other VNC Server) in the client's machine
    >-Install EchoVNC. This lets the client connect to a 3rd party "echo" site.

    Interesting, didn't know about them. 3rd party is safe?

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 11, 2005
  8. hellrazor

    > On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:39:24 GMT, hellrazor wrote:
    >
    >>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    >>> Did you try it, if it works it seems a small price.

    >>> That's just swapping aroung the client / server end, or do you mean
    >>> during a single session?
    >>>
    >>> Why not PCA, with the software on both ends.
    >>>
    >>> Have you looked at RealVNC, it's free and you can have the client /
    >>> server on each PC.

    >>> Me
    >>>

    >>Problem arises when people are behind firewalls, routers, and such and

    > I should hope so.
    >
    >>have to talk them through: 1. finding / accessing their router
    >>settings,

    > Screen shots as a slide show.

    >>2.finding the right settings page, 3. entering the port info to
    >>forward, etc...

    > Really, that sounds more like a call out fee to configure the
    > 'security' appliance :)
    >

    >>I have found a solution that lets me bypass firewall / router
    >>configurations.

    >>-Install UltraVNC (or any other VNC Server) in the client's machine
    >>-Install EchoVNC. This lets the client connect to a 3rd party "echo"
    >>site.

    > Interesting, didn't know about them. 3rd party is safe?
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    You can also set up your own "echo" site, as per the documentation, but I
    haven't looked into it... also, you can encrypt the communications it
    says.. this is to be used in-house for now, and later on, for some
    clients.

    hellrazor, Oct 11, 2005
  9. hellrazor

    >>have to talk them through: 1. finding / accessing their router settings,

    > Screen shots as a slide show.
    >
    >>2.finding the right settings page, 3. entering the port info to forward,
    >>etc...

    > Really, that sounds more like a call out fee to configure the
    > 'security' appliance :)

    That is a big hassle, considering the amount of firewall software, router
    configurations out there. With My EchoVNC way, they just have to install
    the software, enter a user ID and run it!

    hellrazor, Oct 12, 2005
  10. hellrazor

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:16:33 GMT, hellrazor wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >
    >>>have to talk them through: 1. finding / accessing their router settings,

    >> Screen shots as a slide show.
    >>
    >>>2.finding the right settings page, 3. entering the port info to forward,
    >>>etc...

    >> Really, that sounds more like a call out fee to configure the
    >> 'security' appliance :)
    >>

    >That is a big hassle, considering the amount of firewall software, router
    >configurations out there. With My EchoVNC way, they just have to install

    Sounds worth a try then.

    >the software, enter a user ID and run it!

    I suppose it all depends on your point of view, the last FW I setup
    Cisco PIX 501 , has 4 simple rules

    allow dns
    allow vpn-server1
    allow vpn-server2
    deny everything else.

    Until the clients kick off the VPN connection on the PC, nothing except
    DNS works.

    Of course the VPNs have authentication, a huge FW, proxy servers etc. So
    nothing is required locally.

    Me

    why?, Oct 12, 2005
  11. hellrazor

    Guest

    You may want to check out our software at www.plethoratech.com. It
    provides PC and server remote control across firewalls and NAT
    configurations without any user configuration, with complete encryption
    (256-bit FIPS 140-2 validated
    AES) and centralized control. Also includes messaging, file transfer,
    and tunneling to enable third-party admin tools you may have. Let me
    know if you'd like more info.

    Thanks,
    Joel Haspel
    Plethora Technology