    personally, hence I need this clarification.

    Cheers,
    Dany.

    Dany P. Wu, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Dany P. Wu

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Dany P. Wu" wrote
    > CompA runs a Win 2K Server with Terminal Services and Application X.
    > CompB is on the same network and has a printer attached to it.
    > The big question is:
    > Can CompB run Application X on CompA Remote Desktop and print locally?

    yes, we have this scenario at work.

    T.N.O., Oct 18, 2003

  3. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Dany P. Wu" wrote
    > > CompA runs a Win 2K Server with Terminal Services and Application X.
    > > CompB is on the same network and has a printer attached to it.
    > > The big question is:
    > > Can CompB run Application X on CompA Remote Desktop and print locally?

    > yes, we have this scenario at work.

    Awesome! Does this mean CompA's Remote Desktop session running on CompB will
    recognise the USB ports on CompB?

    Warning: I'm as likely to confuse myself as I can potentially confuse other
    people with my questions!

    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Oct 18, 2003
  4. Dany P. Wu

    Matt B Guest

    In news:,
    Dany P. Wu <> wrote:
    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >> "Dany P. Wu" wrote
    >>> CompA runs a Win 2K Server with Terminal Services and Application X.
    >>> CompB is on the same network and has a printer attached to it.
    >>> The big question is:
    >>> Can CompB run Application X on CompA Remote Desktop and print
    >>> locally?

    >> yes, we have this scenario at work.

    > Awesome! Does this mean CompA's Remote Desktop session running on
    > CompB will recognise the USB ports on CompB?
    >
    > Warning: I'm as likely to confuse myself as I can potentially confuse
    > other people with my questions!
    >
    > D.

    Not as such - but that's not what you asked. Here's how...

    <quote from http://tinyurl.com/7gyn>

    How do I make the USB printer on my client PC work in a Terminal Server
    Session?

    WARNING - HIGH RISK PROCEDURE. NON-MICROSOFT PRINTER DRIVERS ON TERMINAL
    SERVERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MOST TERMINAL SERVER CRASHES.

    Nevertheless, sometimes OEM drivers do work. Here's the quick-and-dirty
    approach Bill Sanderson used to get his HP USB printer at home to work in a
    Terminal Server session.

    1. Install the printer on the server - the printer does not need to be
    present.

    2. Tell the server the printer is on the local LPT1 when it asks for the
    port.

    3. Once the printer is installed, delete it immediately. During the deletion
    process, tell it to NOT delete the files.

    4. If everything goes right and this is one of the drivers dwhich does not
    produce BSODs on Windows 2000 Terminal Server, it should work fine. It will
    only appear while you are connected to the Terminal Server.

    </quote>

    You also need to set the RDP connection for the TS to allow connection to
    client printers, and also allow in the user's TS profile (in AD).

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people.
    Those who get binary...
    And those who don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Matt B, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "Matt B" <> wrote in message

    > Not as such - but that's not what you asked. Here's how...
    >
    > <quote from http://tinyurl.com/7gyn>

    <SNIP>

    > </quote>
    >
    > You also need to set the RDP connection for the TS to allow connection to
    > client printers, and also allow in the user's TS profile (in AD).

    Thank you for all that - very useful info.

    The printer and USB questions are two separate things, actually. I was
    thinking of connecting a digital camera's USB cable to the client PC.

    Is this possible?

    Cheers,
    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Dany P. Wu

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Dany P. Wu" wrote
    > Awesome! Does this mean CompA's Remote Desktop session running on CompB

    will
    > recognise the USB ports on CompB?

    What is plugged into the USB ports...

    T.N.O., Oct 18, 2003
  7. Dany P. Wu

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Dany P. Wu" wrote
    > The printer and USB questions are two separate things, actually. I was
    > thinking of connecting a digital camera's USB cable to the client PC.
    > Is this possible?

    not that I know of, but I must say that I havent played with it that much...
    only briefly at work when the usual guy who deals with it was away on leave.

    I'll have a look on monday.

    T.N.O., Oct 18, 2003
  8. "Dany P. Wu" <> wrote in message
    > > You also need to set the RDP connection for the TS to allow connection

    > > client printers, and also allow in the user's TS profile (in AD).

    > Thank you for all that - very useful info.
    >
    > The printer and USB questions are two separate things, actually. I was
    > thinking of connecting a digital camera's USB cable to the client PC.
    >
    > Is this possible?

    No, USB printers will work but not other USB devices...

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 18, 2003
  9. Dany P. Wu

    Matt B Guest

    In news:,
    Dany P. Wu <> wrote:
    > "Matt B" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Not as such - but that's not what you asked. Here's how...
    >>
    >> <quote from http://tinyurl.com/7gyn>

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> </quote>
    >>
    >> You also need to set the RDP connection for the TS to allow
    >> connection to client printers, and also allow in the user's TS
    >> profile (in AD).

    > Thank you for all that - very useful info.
    >
    > The printer and USB questions are two separate things, actually. I was
    > thinking of connecting a digital camera's USB cable to the client PC.
    >
    > Is this possible?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > D.

    Aargh - I've a vague recollection of this being tried - search
    http://www.thethin.net/

    IIRC it wasn't pretty! Do you need to install software (eg easyshare) to
    upload the camera content? If so IMHO you'd be better off letting the user
    access the digicam from the native desktop rather than through a TS session.
    You're gonna get poor image results via TS anyway, unless you're running
    Citrix or a 2003 server (256 colours only under Win2K TS).

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people.
    Those who get binary...
    And those who don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Matt B, Oct 19, 2003
  10. Dany P. Wu

    Matt B Guest

    In news:339kb.182489$,
    Nathan Mercer <nathan@*S_P_A_M_isfucked(**(mcs.co.nz> wrote:
    > "Dany P. Wu" <> wrote in message
    >>> You also need to set the RDP connection for the TS to allow
    >>> connection to client printers, and also allow in the user's TS
    >>> profile (in AD).

    >> Thank you for all that - very useful info.
    >>
    >> The printer and USB questions are two separate things, actually. I
    >> was thinking of connecting a digital camera's USB cable to the
    >> client PC.
    >>
    >> Is this possible?

    > No, USB printers will work but not other USB devices...

    If the USB device installs as a drive then it should be possible to share
    the drive and map to it through login scripts? (I do this with local machine
    floppy drives.)

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B