Remote Desktop - no connection possible

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009.

  1. Dear all,
    I have jsut receaved a new machine based on an Intel Core i7 920 with
    12GB RAM running Windows XP Professional x64.

    I am trying to use Remote Desktop connecting from a MS WXP Pro (x32), but I
    am not cable to log in. First of all, I configured the "exeption" rule in
    the firewall, and even stopped the firewall for testing. My account is
    authorized using remote desktop and the RD option in the Remote Tab in
    System properties is checked.

    Therefore, I do not think to have evident problems of configuration on this
    machine.

    On the client side, I do not normally get any error message, but simply long
    waiting times (10-20s) for the connection that does not establish and then
    return to RD without error messages.

    I get the typical "Remote Desktop cannot verify the identity of the computer
    you want to connect to...." if in the "advanced" tab of RDC I check "Warn me
    if authentication fails".

    If I telnet the port 3389 of this computer I, again, get long response time
    and then no error messages of any kind.

    Last thing I excluded: the port 3389 is the one properly configured and
    allowed in the firewall.

    This rise a question: can I remote desktop to a XP Pro x64 machine at all?
    Any suggestions? Any known uncompatibilities?

    Thanks
    Dr Alessandro Esposito
    University of Cambridge
    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009

  2. I strongly suspect your two problems are related. There are no known issues
    with either RDP or Word on XP x64 that would cause this behaviour. It
    "feels" like a basic networking problem. A good start would be to post the
    results of "ipconfig /all" for both machines, along with a description of
    your network connecting them.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2009

  3. Sorry for the double post on RDC, new PC, new clients, new mistakes :)

    The results of ipconfig /all are listed below. I changed a few items into
    NA, just to not post details on our network. However, machines' IPs are
    uinique and properly configured, so default gateways (different for the two
    different Subnet masls) and DNS. Both machines can establish RDCs with other
    hosts. I could not esablish a RDC from any system we have on the LAN. The
    LAN is based on siwtches in each offices and managed switched on each floor.
    I do not think Word problem is linked with our LAN, if anything, it could be
    something related with XP x64 in combimation with our graphic card... we'll
    test another graphic card soon.

    --- Host ---

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NA
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : NA

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E
    Gigabit Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-54-EE-0F-F5
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : NA
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : NA
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : NA

    --- Client ---

    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NA
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : NA

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking
    Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-5B-7B-A9
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : NA
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : NA

    Cheers,

    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009
  4. Well, you can't connect properly if the subnet masks aren't the same. Are
    they on the same subnet at all? can they ping each other?

    You should look at updated drivers for both machines. And they really need
    to be on the same subnet with the same IP address range and mask. The RPC in
    x64 is fussier, and I don't think it will like this configuration.

    Another thing to look at is the advanced settings of these cards. You need
    to turn off jumbo frames, RSS, Tophat, and any other advanced features of
    most GigE cards. The RSS disable is:

    If your network card has RSS (Receive Side Scaling) enabled, you'll need to
    disable that feature by making the following changes.

    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, click DWORD Value, and then type
    EnableRSS .
    4. Double-click EnableRSS, type 0 , and then click OK.
    5. Exit Registry Editor.

    Of course, if there already IS an EnableRSS key, just set the value to 0.

    Also, I see that one of these machines has an nVidia chipset. You'll need to
    disable the nvidia firewall. You can't just "not install" it, you have to
    actually install it, and then UN-install it. From my standard nvidia answer:

    Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
    least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
    this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
    the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2009
  5. I have checked the logs once again. Although there is not error reported, I
    have now noticed the following information:

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 16/02/2009
    Time: 17:26:14
    User: N/A
    Computer: HURRICANE
    Application popup: : \SystemRoot\System32\RDPDD.dll failed to load

    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 6c 00 ......l.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 1a 00 00 40 .......@
    0010: 17 00 00 c0 9a 00 00 c0 ...Àš..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    Cheers,

    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009
  6. The problem on RDC was caused by the (right) ATI drivers. Working with a
    generic driver RD started to work! Unfortunately, I cannot find ATI drivers
    working properly together with RD.

    Cheers,

    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009