Remote desktop - no connection possible

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009.

  1. Dear all,
    I have jsut receaved a new machine based on an Intel Core i7 920 with
    12GB RAM running Windows XP Professional x64.

    I am trying to use Remote Desktop connecting from a MS WXP Pro (x32), but I
    am not cable to log in. First of all, I configured the "exeption" rule in
    the firewall, and even stopped the firewall for testing. My account is
    authorized using remote desktop and the RD option in the Remote Tab in
    System properties is checked.

    Therefore, I do not think to have evident problems of configuration on this
    machine.

    On the client side, I do not normally get any error message, but simply long
    waiting times (10-20s) for the connection that does not establish and then
    return to RD without error messages.

    I get the typical "Remote Desktop cannot verify the identity of the computer
    you want to connect to...." if in the "advanced" tab of RDC I check "Warn me
    if authentication fails".

    If I telnet the port 3389 of this computer I, again, get long response time
    and then no error messages of any kind.

    Last thing I excluded: the port 3389 is the one properly configured and
    allowed in the firewall.

    This rise a question: can I remote desktop to a XP Pro x64 machine at all?
    Any suggestions? Any known uncompatibilities?

    Thanks
    Dr Alessandro Esposito
    University of Cambridge
    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009

  2. thread started on your other post of the same question.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2009