    Any ideas, suggestions appreciated.
    TIA
    Frank
    fb, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Could be video driver issue, are there any error messages when the crash
    occurs? Did you check your system event logs to see if there are messages
    there concerning this crash? Also, does the crash occurr when you try to
    access the 32-Bit XP Pro from XP Pro x64?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 11, 2005

  3. fb

    John Barnes Guest

    You need to go into system properties/advanced/startup and turn off
    automatic reboot, then you will get the error codes Andre refers to and you
    can begin to narrow in on the problem. As Andre suggested look in your
    event logs.

    John Barnes, Dec 11, 2005
  4. John and Andre are pointing you in the right direction. I and most of the
    rest of the folks here use Remote Desktop all the time with x64, so it isn't
    a basic incompatibility

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 11, 2005
  5. fb

    fb Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > John and Andre are pointing you in the right direction. I and most of the
    > rest of the folks here use Remote Desktop all the time with x64, so it isn't
    > a basic incompatibility

    I get an immediate BSOD involving win32k.sys. Nothing in the event
    viewer. I've shut down all non critical services, killed the fire wall
    killed the avast av even booted into safe mode with network...same
    results. I'm dual booting with xp pro sp2 and it rdt no problem.
    I'm stumped...at least for now.
    Frank
    fb, Dec 11, 2005
  6. fb

    John Barnes Guest

    Maybe you could include the stop codes you receive when it crashes.

    John Barnes, Dec 11, 2005
  7. fb

    fb Guest

    John Barnes wrote:
    > Maybe you could include the stop codes you receive when it crashes.
    >

    > "fb" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    >>
    >>>John and Andre are pointing you in the right direction. I and most of the
    >>>rest of the folks here use Remote Desktop all the time with x64, so it
    >>>isn't a basic incompatibility
    >>>

    >>I get an immediate BSOD involving win32k.sys. Nothing in the event viewer.
    >>I've shut down all non critical services, killed the fire wall killed the
    >>avast av even booted into safe mode with network...same results. I'm dual
    >>booting with xp pro sp2 and it rdt no problem.
    >>I'm stumped...at least for now.
    >>Frank

    Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to do a screen capture (very small of
    course) that I could post in this ng so everyone can see what I'm seeing.
    Frank
    fb, Dec 11, 2005
  8. fb

    John Barnes Guest

    If it is too much trouble to copy them down and type them in, you could go
    to the minidump and copy them. DriveLetter:\Windows\Minidump do a find
    on stop then copy the 50 or so characters until the )

    John Barnes, Dec 11, 2005
  9. I was going to suggest that also John, but what deterred was, how would he
    view the contents of the .dmp file? I opened one in mine and used the web
    service thingy which suggested it is XML, but can anyone except the
    developers decipher anything from it?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 11, 2005
  10. fb

    John Barnes Guest

    If you do a find on the word stop you will find something like this STOP:
    0x0000009C (0x00000004,0x8086EFF0,0xB2000000,0x00070F0F)
    >I was going to suggest that also John, but what deterred was, how would he
    >view the contents of the .dmp file? I opened one in mine and used the web
    >service thingy which suggested it is XML, but can anyone except the
    >developers decipher anything from it?
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >
    > "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    >> If it is too much trouble to copy them down and type them in, you could
    >> go to the minidump and copy them. DriveLetter:\Windows\Minidump do a
    >> find on stop then copy the 50 or so characters until the )
    >>

    >> "fb" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to do a screen capture (very small of
    >>> course) that I could post in this ng so everyone can see what I'm
    >>> seeing.
    >>> Frank

    John Barnes, Dec 11, 2005
  11. fb

    John Barnes Guest

    I use notepad to open mine, but I don't know if that would make a
    difference.

    John Barnes, Dec 11, 2005
  12. Folks on PlanetAMD64 suggest this could be associated with your video card
    drivers. Have you updated it to the latest drivers. Also, some encountered
    this error on pre-release versions of XP Professional x64, could you
    identify for us which build you are running? Click Start > Run > type in
    WinVer > click OK or press Enter

    What does the version information say?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 11, 2005
  13. Here is a KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=248476

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 11, 2005
  14. fb

    fb Guest

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > Folks on PlanetAMD64 suggest this could be associated with your video card
    > drivers. Have you updated it to the latest drivers. Also, some encountered
    > this error on pre-release versions of XP Professional x64, could you
    > identify for us which build you are running? Click Start > Run > type in
    > WinVer > click OK or press Enter
    >
    > What does the version information say?

    This is the latest(only in fact)trial version direct from MS.
    My winver:
    Version 5.2 (build 3790.srv_sp1_rtm.050324-1447 : Service Pack1)
    Frank
    fb, Dec 11, 2005
  15. fb

    fb Guest

    fb, Dec 11, 2005
  16. I would do a upgrade refresh, just insert the XP Pro x64 disk into your
    optical drive and do an upgrade over the existing installation to see if it
    corrects any issues.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 11, 2005
  17. fb

    fb Guest

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > I would do a upgrade refresh, just insert the XP Pro x64 disk into your
    > optical drive and do an upgrade over the existing installation to see if it
    > corrects any issues.

    Well that the last resort hope-it-will-fix-it remedy.
    I'm not quite ready to do that.
    Frank
    fb, Dec 11, 2005
  18. fb

    John Barnes Guest

    One thing you can try that sometimes works when Safe Mode doesn't is to use
    MSCONFIG and select diagnostic startup. If you are in selective startup
    mode, make sure to note the processes you are or aren't currently starting
    so you can get back to your current situation.

    John Barnes, Dec 11, 2005
  19. fb

    fb Guest

    John Barnes wrote:
    > One thing you can try that sometimes works when Safe Mode doesn't is to use
    > MSCONFIG and select diagnostic startup. If you are in selective startup
    > mode, make sure to note the processes you are or aren't currently starting
    > so you can get back to your current situation.
    >

    > "fb" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    >>
    >>>I would do a upgrade refresh, just insert the XP Pro x64 disk into your
    >>>optical drive and do an upgrade over the existing installation to see if
    >>>it corrects any issues.

    >>Well that the last resort hope-it-will-fix-it remedy.
    >>I'm not quite ready to do that.
    >>Frank

    I've already done that John. Plus I just did a refresh (upgrade)
    install. I'm going to pickup a new mobo in the near future and transfer
    x64 to my raptor hhd.
    Thanks guys!
    Frank
    fb, Dec 11, 2005