Remote Desktop Connection / Sound Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lordmofisto, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. Lordmofisto

    Lordmofisto Guest

    Hi, I have a question about Remote Desktop Connections and Sound. I have
    already got the remote connection from my computer to my other one working
    fine, however, what I ultimately wanted to accomplish by this was to use my
    other computer as a media desktop. I wanted to store all my video and music
    files on that computer and be able to listen to them through that computers
    surround sound system. The problem that I am running into is, that the
    Remote Desktop software automatically pipes the sound to my computer and not
    through the host computers sound card/system. I don't want this. I am a
    gamer and I like to be able to listen to music while I am playing, however,
    the large playlists and files that I use bog my already antiquated system
    down. Thats why I put them on my spare computer which can easily handle
    multimedia but not much else. So I can have 1 pure gaming computer and 1
    pure multimedia computer.

    Is there a way you can set up a computer that I can connect to remotely to
    set it up to play music through its own sound system? The reason this is a
    problem is because I only have 1 monitor, and its a pain to disconnect it
    and reconnect it to the other computer.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Lordmofisto, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Lordmofisto wrote:

    > am playing, however, the large playlists and files that I use bog my
    > already antiquated system down. Thats why I put them on my spare computer
    > which can easily handle multimedia but not much else. So I can have 1 pure
    > gaming computer and 1 pure multimedia computer.

    You should know, the remote (compressed by default) connection will hog
    resources as well, having to transmit graphics.

    > Is there a way you can set up a computer that I can connect to remotely to
    > set it up to play music through its own sound system? The reason this is a
    > problem is because I only have 1 monitor, and its a pain to disconnect it
    > and reconnect it to the other computer.

    A quick alternative remote control solution is (free) winvnc, which won't
    transmit sound. You need the server on your multimedia computer (tiny app,
    can be started as a service) and the vncviewer on your gaming computer.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Lordmofisto

    lee houston Guest

    "Lordmofisto" <> wrote in message

    > Is there a way you can set up a computer that I can connect to remotely to
    > set it up to play music through its own sound system? The reason this is a
    > problem is because I only have 1 monitor, and its a pain to disconnect it
    > and reconnect it to the other computer.

    See if VNC will fit your needs. Allows remote desktop / keyboard
    access even when no monitor is plgged into the remote computer.
    Probably leave the remote sound applications running solely on the
    remote computer.

    checkout: http://www.realvnc.com/what.html

    lee

    lee houston, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Lordmofisto

    William Guest

    Lordmofisto wrote:
    > Is there a way you can set up a computer that I can connect to remotely to
    > set it up to play music through its own sound system? The reason this is a
    > problem is because I only have 1 monitor, and its a pain to disconnect it
    > and reconnect it to the other computer.

    When starting Remote Desktop, before you click "Connect", click
    "Options" > "Local Resources", and set "Remote computer sound" to the
    required value.

    --
    WH

    William, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Lordmofisto

    Lordmofisto Guest

    Durp, I should have checked the settings much closer.

    That worked awesomely.

    Thanks much

    Lordmofisto, Dec 18, 2006
  6. Lordmofisto

    Lordmofisto Guest

    Only problem is know. Accourding to the message that I get when logging off,
    it says the programs will continue to run even after I log off. Well the
    program continues to run, but the music doesn't keep playing. Any ideas
    there?

    Lordmofisto, Dec 18, 2006
  7. Lordmofisto

    William Guest

    Lordmofisto wrote:
    > Only problem is know. Accourding to the message that I get when logging off,
    > it says the programs will continue to run even after I log off. Well the
    > program continues to run, but the music doesn't keep playing. Any ideas
    > there?

    Strange. I tried this on my network, and using "Disconnect", the music
    continued playing. Are you disconnecting or logging off?

    --
    WH

    William, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Lordmofisto

    Lordmofisto Guest

    I bet I was logging off. I just clicked the close program on the little bar
    at the top. I will check it again.

    And thanks for the help

    Lordmofisto, Dec 18, 2006
  9. Lordmofisto

    Lordmofisto Guest

    Just tried it via logging off and disconnecting. Either way it still stops
    the music but leave Media Player up on the screen. No matter how I get out
    of it other then just minimizing it, it will stop playing.

    Any ideas?

    Lordmofisto, Dec 18, 2006