    set up.
    --
    William T. Trotter

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBULiBUcm90dGVy?=, Aug 25, 2005

  2. Consider updating the Remote Desktop client.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    "William T. Trotter" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Aug 25, 2005

  3. I'm running XP Professional - x64 on both machines.
    Why would I want to download a remote
    desktop client intended for older os's??

    Thanks,
    --
    William T. Trotter

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBULiBUcm90dGVy?=, Aug 25, 2005
  4. Are you by any chance on an nVidia chipset machine? If so, you may have been
    hit by the problems that the built in nvidia firewall is causing for
    everyone. The only solution is to install the firewall, if it isn't already
    installed, and then uninstall it completely.

    Other than that, I can confirm that remote desktop works just fine, both too
    and from x64 machines. If you're using non-standard ports, it's possible
    that is the problem as well.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2005
  5. you wouldn't

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2005
  6. Hey Charlie, Both home (client) and office (server)
    are using nVidia display graphics cards. The home
    machine is a bit older and more modest, while the
    office machine is a workhorse, e.g., 16gb ram with
    dual opteron cpu's. So how can I be sure and
    what do I do next? Is there a web site or a more
    detailed newsgroup you can point me to?

    Thanks,
    --
    William T. Trotter

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBULiBUcm90dGVy?=, Aug 26, 2005
  7. It's not the video cards I'm worried about -- it's the underlying chipset
    for the motherboard. Whose systems are these? A major OEM, or a local
    builder? And what model motherboard is it?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 26, 2005
  8. The motherboard of my office machine
    is a Tyan Thunder K8W. Is this enough
    info?
    =========================

    William T. Trotter, Aug 26, 2005
  9. Well, it's enough to tell me that the machine on that end doesn't have the
    nvidia chipset issue. You say the home machine is more modest. Is it also
    running x64 Edition? And which mobo/chipset is it if it is x64.

    You may need to move this over to where the terminal services folks hang
    out, since I'm beginning to suspect it's not a 64bit issue. That would be
    the microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely newsgroup. I'm running out of
    things to suggest.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 26, 2005
  10. We now know a bit more about the problem.
    Turns out that:

    1. Remote Desktop using port 3389, the default,
    works fine.
    2. For security reasons, my IT folks didn't want
    to open that port, and behind a local firewall,
    traffic was routed to 1025. A second machine,
    running Linux, Fedora core 4 is also on the
    same router using port 1026.
    3. When I edit the registry and change the
    port number for Remote Desktop to 1025,
    things break. Now we know one reason:
    lsass.exe runs on that port.
    4. My options are to tell/ask IT to open another
    port, or use a redirect from the linux box
    creating a local tunnel. We tried this
    a few minutes ago and it works.

    Thanks for your help.

    --
    William T. Trotter

    William T. Trotter, Aug 26, 2005
  11. OK, all of that makes sense. Why not suggest to the IT folks that they use a
    port that is well up beyond 3389 and beyond the area that will interfere
    with other things? Or, of course, the other solution is a VPN. And actually,
    given the overall security of things, I think a VPN is a better way to go.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 26, 2005