    sure the remote services were going, and disabled the software firewalls
    for troubleshooting.

    Thanks.

    Bundy, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Bundy

    el Diablo Guest

    Can you still get through from work? Try NMap (NMapWin for M$ users) to
    check if the ports are really open to the outside. Your ISP for the
    house could have block traffic on those ports or the ISP for work could
    have blocked it. NMap will tell you.

    Other than that sounds like some kind of configuration issue that you
    may have made four months ago, but forgot to note.

    el Diablo, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Bundy

    Bundy Guest

    el Diablo wrote:

    > Can you still get through from work? Try NMap (NMapWin for M$ users) to
    > check if the ports are really open to the outside. Your ISP for the
    > house could have block traffic on those ports or the ISP for work could
    > have blocked it. NMap will tell you.
    >
    > Other than that sounds like some kind of configuration issue that you
    > may have made four months ago, but forgot to note.
    >
    > Bundy wrote:
    >
    >> I'm stuck.
    >>
    >> I had a successful RD and FTP connection from my work computer going
    >> into my Linksys router at home, into my home network. Recently, the
    >> OS on my main box at home corrupted, and I restored it with a Ghost
    >> image that was about 4 months old. Now, no RD, or FTP for that
    >> matter. Here's the odd thing. I can use RD on my other home box to
    >> get to the main box when I use its internal (192.168.x.x) address, but
    >> no luck on the outside the router.
    >> I have made no changes to the router config. Port 3389 and 21 still
    >> forward to my main box, and my main box allows me as an administrator
    >> to have remote access. Any ideas? I've rebooted the router, cable
    >> modem, released and renewed the IP on the main box, router and modem.
    >> Made sure the remote services were going, and disabled the software
    >> firewalls for troubleshooting.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    That's an idea. LAN admin recently installed WebSense. Does that
    program have the ability to block those ports? I'm trying to use
    terminal services to get to the home network, if that helps.

    Thanks,

    Bundy

    Bundy, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Bundy

    Bundy Guest

    el Diablo wrote:

    > I just took a quick look at what Websense is/does and it appears that
    > you need to check to see if it is filtering out your comms with box at
    > home.
    >
    > Of course, you can probably find that out yourself if you use NMap at
    > work and check what ports can get out/in. Remember to specify your ip on
    > the outside.
    >
    > Bundy wrote:
    >
    >> el Diablo wrote:

    <snip>

    Just used NMap, and you're right. 3389 and 21 aren't showing up; only
    mail and web ports. Great catch, and thanks for your help. Now I have
    to figure out a way around that. ;-)

    Bundy

    Bundy, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Bundy

    AG Guest

    You're going to have to open those ports through the Websense.

    AG

    AG, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Bundy

    Bundy Guest

    AG wrote:
    > You're going to have to open those ports through the Websense.
    >
    > AG
    > "Bundy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>el Diablo wrote:
    >>

    >>>I just took a quick look at what Websense is/does and it appears that you
    >>>need to check to see if it is filtering out your comms with box at home.
    >>>
    >>>Of course, you can probably find that out yourself if you use NMap at
    >>>work and check what ports can get out/in. Remember to specify your ip on
    >>>the outside.

    >><snip>
    >>
    >>Just used NMap, and you're right. 3389 and 21 aren't showing up; only
    >>mail and web ports. Great catch, and thanks for your help. Now I have to
    >>figure out a way around that. ;-)
    >>
    >>Bundy

    Shoot. Net admin has the only access. Thanks for the info.

    Bundy, Oct 29, 2004
  7. Bundy

    AG Guest

    "Bundy" <> wrote in message
    > AG wrote:
    >> You're going to have to open those ports through the Websense.

    > Shoot. Net admin has the only access. Thanks for the info.

    Yeah we admins are that way. :)
    AG

    AG, Oct 29, 2004
  8. Bundy

    Remo Guest

    Hi

    Hope you know your router well.

    Try taking your router outta the loop and connect directly to the internet
    and try connect then. This will obviously rule out your PC restore you told
    us about if it works and confirm its your router settings. Next try adding
    your PC to the DMZ in the router and make your IP 192.168.*.* a static
    address to add to the DMZ. If this works on connect then you have a port
    forwarding problem. Take your PC outta the DMZ and try to resolve your port
    forwarding issues by hand.

    Also some ISP's dont favor FTP useage and try to block port 21 just use a
    different port. I use 1976. Also open up a passive port range in your
    server software and add a "Passive Mode IP" this will be a static one.
    therefore good idea to turn off DHCP on router.

    I always turn it off anyhow when using servers at home as i only have 5 PCs
    and map them all static from .1 to .6 in cluding the router in the
    192.168.*.* range. Always better to know the private IP address you wanna
    FTP too. Hope this helps...

    Remo A+ Net+

    Remo, Apr 3, 2005