    Thanks
    P.S. My computer at home is Win 2K, don't know what the other ones are
    going to be.
    GC, Dec 21, 2003

  2. GC

    Brian H¹© Guest

    GC said:

    > I'm going overseas in about a week...
    > There may be times during my time overseas that I need to access my computer
    > at home. I'm used to using PC Anywhere, but as I will be using computers in
    > Cafe's etc where I can't install software, I need another way of doing
    > it....
    > Is there any software that I can install on my home PC that would allow my
    > computer to be controlled via a web browser somehow? Ofcourse I'd need
    > passwords in stuff to reduce the chances of hackers.
    >
    > Thanks
    > P.S. My computer at home is Win 2K, don't know what the other ones are
    > going to be.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=vnc

    All you need to take with you, can fit on a floppy.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 21, 2003

  3. GC

    John Lewis Guest

    You need to check out www.tightvnc.com . There are other variations of the
    VNC core software, but that is the one I like.

    Primarily, VNC is a client/server type remote access software, but it also
    includes a http server that can be accessed from any java capable web
    browser. The browser is not my preferred means of access, but it does work
    rather well. You would simply point the browser to
    http://YourDomainorIP:5800/.

    You will need some way of finding your IP, try a dynamic DNS service if you
    have a dynamic IP. www.dyndns.org is one, there are others so you may want
    to google. If you have a NAT router, of course you will need to forward the
    appropriate port to the machine you wish to control. You can control
    multiple machines by configuring each to listen on different ports. Also be
    sure to run the server as a service, not in app mode.

    Now for the bad side. Security is not that great. The password used is
    sent as a challenge/response, so your acutal password is not sent across the
    internet. Keystrokes typed in the viewer are sent across the net as
    plaintext, so if you type a password (maybe your login password), it could
    be grabbed. Normally, I would suggest to run VNC across a VPN or SSH
    connection, but I don't see a way to do that in the situation you describe.
    Also there is at least one password cracker for VNC on the net, but it uses
    a brute force dictionary based attack, so choosing a good password helps
    there.

    Although it doesn't sound too good at this point, I think it is as good as
    any other option you would have without installing software on the client
    computer.

    John Lewis, Dec 21, 2003