    Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
    camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
    area?

    Jax, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Jax

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <Xns9827A62142769628D1@127.0.0.1>, Jax <>
    wrote:

    > I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
    >
    > How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
    > camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
    > press a button?
    >
    > Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
    > camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
    > area?

    From what distance? daylight or night? Camera in window or outdoors?

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Aug 22, 2006

  3. Jax

    Alex Butcher Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:19:52 +0100, Jax wrote:

    > I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
    >
    > How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
    > camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
    > press a button?

    My Olympus C-750 has an IR remote, and I'm pretty sure its replacement,
    the C-770 does too. Pricerunner says you can get a 770 for 177.87 inc from
    Info-Tech Systems (but note that they have some stinky reviews on
    Pricerunner, FWIW!).

    Unfortunately, I think Olympus have dropped this feature from their
    'Creative' range of cameras.

    Best Regards,
    Alex.
    --
    Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

    "[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
    identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
    abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
    it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
    - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

    Alex Butcher, Aug 22, 2006
  4. Own up you just want to take pictures of 'doggers' :)

    Dale Grimsley, Aug 23, 2006
  5. Jax

    George K Guest

    Look at Harbortonics for some possible solutions. The make controllers
    and are going to offer an outdoor solar powered timelapse housing.

    http://www.harbortronics.com/

    George K, Aug 23, 2006
  6. Jax

    Matt Ion Guest

    Jax wrote:
    > I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
    >
    > How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
    > camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
    > press a button?
    >
    > Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
    > camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
    > area?

    It wouldn't be hard to wire a standard passive-IR motion sensor (the type used
    in home alarm systems) with a remote wire to trigger the camera... powering it
    would be the only issue, but they don't draw a lot, so it could run on battery
    for quite a while.

    Matt Ion, Aug 23, 2006
  7. Jax

    Alex Butcher Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:12:22 +0100, Dale Grimsley wrote:

    > Own up you just want to take pictures of 'doggers' :)

    Smiley noted, but I've found the IR remote useful for a) self-portraits
    and b) long-exposure shots on a tripod (e.g. fireworks) where pressing the
    button on the camera can cause the camera to shake for a few moments
    afterwards.

    Best Regards,
    Alex.

    Alex Butcher, Aug 23, 2006
  8. Jax

    thoss Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 Jax wrote:

    >I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
    >
    >How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
    >camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
    >press a button?

    Pentax do two remote controls which fit many of their cameras - with and
    without remote zoom control. These are infra-red, and the sensor on my
    750Z is on the front of the camera, which may not be the most convenient
    position. Mine cost about £20.
    --
    Thoss

    thoss, Aug 23, 2006
  9. Jax

    Bill Marrs Guest

    Google "trail camera" and "game camera".

    Bill Marrs, Aug 23, 2006
  10. Jax

    Dave Guest

    George K wrote:
    > Look at Harbortonics for some possible solutions. The make controllers
    > and are going to offer an outdoor solar powered timelapse housing.
    >
    > http://www.harbortronics.com/

    Agreed. They're very helpful - I got a call about an order at 9.00am,
    which is midnight their time.

    Dave, Aug 23, 2006