    the men who rule the world. They were never organized or enforced to do
    justice. We have no system for doing justice, not the slightest in the world."
    --Clarence Darrow

    Citizen Bob, Nov 10, 2006

  2. Citizen Bob

    Smarty Guest

    RadioShack used to sell one, and I have one here I've been using. Not sure
    if it is still offered by them. Works very well and is cheap.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Nov 10, 2006

  3. Citizen Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Smarty" <> wrote in message
    > RadioShack used to sell one, and I have one here I've been using. Not sure
    > if it is still offered by them. Works very well and is cheap.
    >
    > Smarty

    I have one from Radio Shack also, it switches one of
    four inputs into two outputs. The inputs and outputs are
    six RCA connectors each. They are marked and color
    coded for the three component, two audio and a digital
    audio/video connection. It is supposed to learn from
    most remotes, so that selecting a source also switches
    the cables. I got mine on sale for ~$65.00, which for
    me is a lot to pay for a switch. It seems to work fine
    though.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Nov 10, 2006
  4. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:41:05 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    >"Smarty" <> wrote in message
    >> RadioShack used to sell one, and I have one here I've been using. Not sure
    >> if it is still offered by them. Works very well and is cheap.

    Do you have a RackShack model number.

    > I have one from Radio Shack also, it switches one of
    >four inputs into two outputs. The inputs and outputs are
    >six RCA connectors each. They are marked and color
    >coded for the three component, two audio and a digital
    >audio/video connection.

    I run composite, 2 audio and 1 video.

    >It is supposed to learn from
    >most remotes,

    I have the UEC 8910.

    >so that selecting a source also switches
    >the cables.

    Please elaborate.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 10, 2006
  5. Citizen Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    > On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:41:05 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Smarty" <> wrote in message
    >>> RadioShack used to sell one, and I have one here I've been using. Not
    >>> sure
    >>> if it is still offered by them. Works very well and is cheap.

    > Do you have a RackShack model number.
    >
    >> I have one from Radio Shack also, it switches one of
    >>four inputs into two outputs. The inputs and outputs are
    >>six RCA connectors each. They are marked and color
    >>coded for the three component, two audio and a digital
    >>audio/video connection.

    > I run composite, 2 audio and 1 video.
    >
    >>It is supposed to learn from
    >>most remotes,

    > I have the UEC 8910.
    >
    >>so that selecting a source also switches
    >>the cables.

    > Please elaborate.
    >
    >>I got mine on sale for ~$65.00, which for
    >>me is a lot to pay for a switch. It seems to work fine
    >>though.

    > Do you have a RackShack model number.

    Cat # 15-1927

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Nov 10, 2006
  6. Citizen Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message

    > "Citizen Bob" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:41:05 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Smarty" <> wrote in message

    >> Do you have a RackShack model number.
    >>
    >>> I have one from Radio Shack also, it switches one of
    >>>four inputs into two outputs. The inputs and outputs are
    >>>six RCA connectors each. They are marked and color
    >>>coded for the three component, two audio and a digital
    >>>audio/video connection.

    >> I run composite, 2 audio and 1 video.
    >>
    >>>It is supposed to learn from
    >>>most remotes,

    >> I have the UEC 8910.
    >>
    >>>so that selecting a source also switches
    >>>the cables.

    >> Please elaborate.
    >>
    >>>I got mine on sale for ~$65.00, which for
    >>>me is a lot to pay for a switch. It seems to work fine
    >>>though.

    >> Do you have a RackShack model number.
    >>

    > Cat # 15-1927
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    #@$@%!! It's only $30 now.
    /Ken

    Ken Maltby, Nov 10, 2006
  7. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:33:06 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    >>>I got mine on sale for ~$65.00, which for
    >>>me is a lot to pay for a switch. It seems to work fine
    >>>though.

    >> Do you have a RackShack model number.

    >Cat # 15-1927

    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103918&cp

    4-In 2-Out IR Learning A/V Switchbox

    $29.99

    This device lets you switch between four audio/component video-enabled
    devices. You can output to two different devices, such as a TV and an
    A/V receiver. Plus, with the built-in learning function, you can
    control the A/V switchbox with your existing remote.

    It's available at all the stores in my area.

    Thanks, guys.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 10, 2006
  8. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:00:29 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    > #@$@%!! It's only $30 now.

    I just bought it - it's a clearance item.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 10, 2006
  9. Citizen Bob

    <> wrote:

    > #@$@%!! It's only $30 now.

    Upon closer inspection my unit is a refurbished item. It looks OK but
    there is no "manual". There is a PDF online which looks like a single
    folded sheet.

    Did you connect composite video to your unit? If so, which RCA jack
    did you use. The instructions only refer to component and the Video
    Inputs are colored R G B.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 10, 2006
  10. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:26:23 GMT, (Citizen Bob) wrote:

    >Did you connect composite video to your unit? If so, which RCA jack
    >did you use. The instructions only refer to component and the Video
    >Inputs are colored R G B.

    I called RackShack tech support just to make certain and the guy said
    the Green input can handle Composite input. He said any of the
    Component inputs can handle Composite input but the Green one is at
    the top so it's easier to keep things straight.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 10, 2006
  11. Citizen Bob

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >Does anyone know of a remote controlled A-B switch for A/V cables with
    >RCA connectors. I have two DVDRs connected thru a manual switch to the
    >TV set, and I would like to be able to control it remotely.

    RCA has a 5 in/1 out that autoswitches depending on whick devices remote you
    use, in other words, you use the tivo remote and it auto matically switches to
    the sat input , use the vcr remote and it automatically switches to the vcr
    etc....

    GMAN, Nov 10, 2006
  12. Citizen Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    > On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:26:23 GMT, (Citizen Bob) wrote:
    >
    >>Did you connect composite video to your unit? If so, which RCA jack
    >>did you use. The instructions only refer to component and the Video
    >>Inputs are colored R G B.

    > I called RackShack tech support just to make certain and the guy said
    > the Green input can handle Composite input. He said any of the
    > Component inputs can handle Composite input but the Green one is at
    > the top so it's easier to keep things straight.

    Normally I would say that you could get a cheaper model,
    to handle just composite, but at that price; what's the point.
    The different connections are most likely switched exactly
    the same, so you can put anything on an input connection,
    and it will be on both output connections, at the same
    position. You don't need to respect the way they are
    labeled now.

    For each of the four inputs you have six RCA connections;
    lets call them 1-6. The same for the two outputs. So if you
    plug something in an input connection #1, and set the switch
    to that input; then that signal will be on the connection #1 of
    both outputs.

    All the inputs can handle any reasonable audio or video
    signal, such as would be carried by a cable with RCA
    connectors.

    You could get "S-video to two RCA" adapters and
    make the three Component connections into an S-video and
    a Composite connection. (As long as you did the output
    the same way.)

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Nov 10, 2006
  13. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:23:01 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    > Normally I would say that you could get a cheaper model,
    >to handle just composite, but at that price; what's the point.

    I could not find anything. You and Smarty came up with the only unit I
    found.

    >The different connections are most likely switched exactly
    >the same, so you can put anything on an input connection,
    >and it will be on both output connections, at the same
    >position. You don't need to respect the way they are
    >labeled now.

    yes, but the manual did not make that clear so I wanted to make sure.
    There is mention of amplification internally and I wanted to be sure
    the composite video signal would be compatible with the video input on
    the unit.

    I find that the IR link is a bit flaky but if I deliberately aim my
    8910 directly at it, it works most of the time.

    Other than that, I am a happy camper.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 11, 2006
  14. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:11:16 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >RCA has a 5 in/1 out that autoswitches depending on whick devices remote you
    >use, in other words, you use the tivo remote and it auto matically switches to
    >the sat input , use the vcr remote and it automatically switches to the vcr
    >etc....

    I have the RCA manual switch so I looked on the RCA site but did not
    find anything that was remote controlled.

    Do you have a part number.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 11, 2006
  15. Citizen Bob

    <> wrote:

    > Normally I would say that you could get a cheaper model,
    >to handle just composite, but at that price; what's the point.

    I am very pleased with the RackShack unit. It is a bit position
    sensitive but with a little moving around I found a sweet spot.
    Programming it was very simple. I used the SAT device on my 8910 with
    the numbers '1' and '2'. I did not have to use JP1 since I just picked
    the default SAT code set. I seriously doubt I will ever have a
    "Proscan" satellite connection and even if I did I could always
    reprogram the 8910 with another code set.

    This is one of those rare situations where I ask a question, get an
    immediate answer, and the solution suggested is even better than
    anyone originally anticipated. A short trip to my local RackShack and
    $30 did exactly what I wanted. In fewer than 2 hours I was enabled the
    way I wanted.

    Thanks again. Keep up the good work.

    As a side note, while I was at RackShack I picked up a TV antenna
    spitter. The Insignia backup unit has one of those TV/DVD switches
    that the old VCRs used. The problem was that when you have the
    Insignia on and it is set to DVD (which is the default) you can't use
    your normal TV channels if you have looped the TV signal thru the
    Insignia. By splitting the TV signal, I avoid the loopthru the
    Insignia so it can be in DVD mode and not disrupt normal TV viewing.

    I do not understand why LG (makers of the Insignia unit) put a TV/DVD
    switch on except maybe to avoid internal splitting which drops the
    signal strength a bit. But that is not necessary because the TV signal
    is strong enough to endure multiple splittings.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 11, 2006
  16. Citizen Bob

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:11:16 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>RCA has a 5 in/1 out that autoswitches depending on whick devices remote you
    >>use, in other words, you use the tivo remote and it auto matically switches to

    >>the sat input , use the vcr remote and it automatically switches to the vcr
    >>etc....

    >I have the RCA manual switch so I looked on the RCA site but did not
    >find anything that was remote controlled.
    >
    >Do you have a part number.

    Its the RCA VH920

    Its a few years old but you can find it around the web

    http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VH920-Video-Source-Selector/dp/B00000J4BC

    http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/rca/index-j.html

    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3142631/

    http://accessories.rca.com/en-US/modeldetail.
    html?maincat=Connectivity&subcat=Video+Source+Selectors&modelnum=VH920

    GMAN, Nov 12, 2006
  17. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:09:25 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >Its the RCA VH920

    >Its a few years old but you can find it around the web

    >http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VH920-Video-Source-Selector/dp/B00000J4BC

    >http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/rca/index-j.html

    >http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3142631/

    >http://accessories.rca.com/en-US/modeldetail.
    >html?maincat=Connectivity&subcat=Video+Source+Selectors&modelnum=VH920

    The RCA VH915 looks attractive but it costs as much as the one I
    bought at RackShack, and I did't have to fool with mail order either.

    I am surprised WalMart does not stock at least the cheaper 915 because
    that's where I got my manual switch.

    --

    If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in
    the Iraq theatre of operations during the last 22 months, and a total

    Citizen Bob, Nov 13, 2006
  18. Citizen Bob

    Guest Guest

    > Does anyone know of a remote controlled A-B switch for A/V cables with
    > RCA connectors. I have two DVDRs connected thru a manual switch to the
    > TV set, and I would like to be able to control it remotely.

    My first attempt to do this used my VCR as a switch. It was a Mits and had
    2 line inputs. I simply connected one DVD recorder to L1 and the other to
    L2. In this fashion I could switch either one to the TV set through the
    VCR. I used a 1 to 4 video amp to expand my cable input to 4 different
    devices: the TV set, the VCR and the 2 DVD recorders.

    Eventually, I found an RCA 4 to 1 switch with a remote control, which
    allowed me to add further units. I don't remember the model number, but it
    was NOT the VH920.

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Nov 13, 2006
  19. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:32:38 -0800, <> wrote:

    >> Does anyone know of a remote controlled A-B switch for A/V cables with
    >> RCA connectors. I have two DVDRs connected thru a manual switch to the
    >> TV set, and I would like to be able to control it remotely.

    >My first attempt to do this used my VCR as a switch.

    Before I got the current equipment, I would use the DVDR Line Input to
    switch my VCR. But that is a clukny way to do things. You have to fish
    around for the internal configuration to enable the Line Input in the
    DVDR. But with my new AV remote switch I put the VCR output into the
    switch directly like the other devices.

    With a remote AV switch, you are one click of the remote away from
    switching any device you want. BTW, I decided to use the "Info" button
    on my 8910 as the remote signal for each device. I have that button
    programmed as "Display" for each device, so it is the most logical
    button to cause the AV box to switch.

    I wonder what would happen if I routed the DVDR Line Out to the DVDR
    Line In and switched it on internally? There would be some hellacious
    feedback. I wonder if it would self destruct. Or would you see a
    picture inside a picture inside a picture ad infinitum.

    The reason I ask is because that RackShack AV switch has two sets of
    AV outputs, one of which I routed to the TV. I am thinking of routing
    the other set to the DVDR Line In, so I can dub any of the other two
    devices into the DVDR. But that causes a feedback loop if I switch the
    AV box to the DVDR itself.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 14, 2006