    two permitted people to remotely log in to my network to access one
    particular desktop to do some course study material? Is it possible? These
    people may be sitting 20 mile away...is there a better way?
    =?Utf-8?B?cmVtb3RlIGxvZ2lu?=, Dec 30, 2006

  2. "remote login" <remote > wrote in message
    > Hi all, I would like some hints and or point to documents to do the
    > following:
    >
    > I have a WEP protected wireless network in home. I am adding two more
    > delstops to this network. My question: How or what can I do to enable one
    > or
    > two permitted people to remotely log in to my network to access one
    > particular desktop to do some course study material? Is it possible?
    > These
    > people may be sitting 20 mile away...is there a better way?

    If the PC you want to remotely access/control is running XP Pro/MCE you can
    use Remote Desktop (RDP). Make sure you use a *STRONG* password. You need to
    forward TCP Port 3389 through your router/firewall...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RDP6ConfigRecommendations.html

    If the PC you want to remotely access/control is running XP Home or W2K or
    an earlier version of Windows look at using VNC. I recommend UltraVNC with
    its encryption plug-in and XP/W2K video driver. You need to forward TCP Port
    5900 through your router/firewall...

    http://www.uvnc.com/index.html

    Note the PC you want to remotely access/control should be using a static LAN
    IP address on your network...

    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

    You call using the public IP of your router/firewall. If you get a DHCP
    assigned IP from your ISP look at using a free service like No-IP.com or
    Dyndns that maps a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) to your ISP assigned
    dynamic address.

    http://www.no-ip.com
    http://www.dyndns.com

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    Sooner Al [MVP], Dec 30, 2006

  3. This page describe a method to select specific computers through the
    Internet.
    It uses Ultra as an example, but the same principle can apply to any
    application that allows to assign the communication port.
    http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
    http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 30, 2006