remote connection from Windows XP Proffessional into Windows XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Netman, Jul 22, 2011.

  1. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Hello!

    I am looking for the freeware tool which let me connect
    from computer which has Windows XP Professional system (1) installed
    into computer which has Windows XP Home Edition SP3 system (2) installed.

    The computer (2) is behind the router and has own local IP address as two
    others.
    The most important thing is that I cannot use any tool, because the net
    which is
    (1) computer has boundries. I tried to use www.logmein.com connection but
    it failed. The connection via www.logmein.com web page works only when I try
    to connect from (2) computer into (1) computer. I think it is the problem
    because
    of the ports which are blocked.

    Do you know some other freeware tool which let me connect from computer to
    computer?
    Maybe you have some tested tool which works fine even when a lot of ports is
    blocked.
    I would like to see the desktop of (2) computer, because I would like to
    follow up
    the rendering of video application.

    Thank you in advance
    Netm.
    Netman, Jul 22, 2011

  2. Netman

    me again Guest

    Re: remote connection from Windows XP Proffessional into WindowsXP Home Edition

    Netman wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I am looking for the freeware tool which let me connect
    > from computer which has Windows XP Professional system (1) installed
    > into computer which has Windows XP Home Edition SP3 system (2) installed.
    >
    > The computer (2) is behind the router and has own local IP address as two
    > others.
    > The most important thing is that I cannot use any tool, because the net
    > which is
    > (1) computer has boundries. I tried to use www.logmein.com connection but
    > it failed. The connection via www.logmein.com web page works only when I try
    > to connect from (2) computer into (1) computer. I think it is the problem
    > because
    > of the ports which are blocked.
    >
    > Do you know some other freeware tool which let me connect from computer to
    > computer?
    > Maybe you have some tested tool which works fine even when a lot of ports is
    > blocked.
    > I would like to see the desktop of (2) computer, because I would like to
    > follow up
    > the rendering of video application.
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    > Netm.

    Every day I use mstsc.exe for that purpose.

    GOTOMYPC is a good system also.

    Is there a firewall in the path?
    me again, Jul 23, 2011

  3. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Uzytkownik "me again" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    > Netman wrote:
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I am looking for the freeware tool which let me connect
    >> from computer which has Windows XP Professional system (1) installed
    >> into computer which has Windows XP Home Edition SP3 system (2) installed.
    >>
    >> The computer (2) is behind the router and has own local IP address as two
    >> others.
    >> The most important thing is that I cannot use any tool, because the net
    >> which is
    >> (1) computer has boundries. I tried to use www.logmein.com connection but
    >> it failed. The connection via www.logmein.com web page works only when I
    >> try
    >> to connect from (2) computer into (1) computer. I think it is the problem
    >> because
    >> of the ports which are blocked.
    >>
    >> Do you know some other freeware tool which let me connect from computer
    >> computer?
    >> Maybe you have some tested tool which works fine even when a lot of ports
    >> is
    >> blocked.
    >> I would like to see the desktop of (2) computer, because I would like to
    >> follow up
    >> the rendering of video application.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance
    >> Netm.
    >>

    > Every day I use mstsc.exe for that purpose.
    >
    > GOTOMYPC is a good system also.
    >
    > Is there a firewall in the path?

    I got it.

    http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

    This worked fine in my situation.

    Netm.
    Netman, Jul 23, 2011
  4. Netman

    Joe J Guest

    Re: remote connection from Windows XP Professional into Windows XP Home Edition

    "Netman" <> wrote in message

    > Uzytkownik "me again" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    >> Netman wrote:
    >>> Hello!
    >>>
    >>> I am looking for the freeware tool which let me connect
    >>> from computer which has Windows XP Professional system (1) installed
    >>> into computer which has Windows XP Home Edition SP3 system (2)
    >>> installed.
    >>>
    >>> The computer (2) is behind the router and has own local IP address as
    >>> two
    >>> others.
    >>> The most important thing is that I cannot use any tool, because the net
    >>> which is
    >>> (1) computer has boundries. I tried to use www.logmein.com connection
    >>> but
    >>> it failed. The connection via www.logmein.com web page works only when I
    >>> try
    >>> to connect from (2) computer into (1) computer. I think it is the
    >>> problem
    >>> because
    >>> of the ports which are blocked.
    >>>
    >>> Do you know some other freeware tool which let me connect from computer
    >>> computer?
    >>> Maybe you have some tested tool which works fine even when a lot of
    >>> ports is
    >>> blocked.
    >>> I would like to see the desktop of (2) computer, because I would like to
    >>> follow up
    >>> the rendering of video application.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance
    >>> Netm.
    >>>

    >> Every day I use mstsc.exe for that purpose.
    >>
    >> GOTOMYPC is a good system also.
    >>
    >> Is there a firewall in the path?
    >>

    > I got it.
    >
    > http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
    >
    > This worked fine in my situation.
    >
    > Netm.

    OK, probably a dumb question, but does the PC you are trying to connect to,
    have to always be on? Or, is there a way to remotely start it?
    I'm just beginning to think about some kind of home security system that I
    could monitor from another location. But I really have no clue to what I'm
    even thinking about. I just have a spare desktop that has Active home
    running on it and trying to decide if there is anything practical I could do
    with that. Like check if the lights are on, make sure furnace is running in
    winter, monitor house temperature, make sure the sump pump has power etc...
    All from my laptop while gone.
    Joe J, Aug 2, 2011
  5. Re: remote connection from Windows XP Professional into Windows XP Home Edition

    Joe J snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    > "Netman" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Uzytkownik "me again" <> napisal w wiadomosci

    >>> Every day I use mstsc.exe for that purpose.
    >>>
    >>> GOTOMYPC is a good system also.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a firewall in the path?
    >>>

    >> I got it.
    >>
    >> http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
    >>
    >> This worked fine in my situation.
    >>
    >> Netm.
    >>

    > OK, probably a dumb question, but does the PC you are trying to connect to,
    > have to always be on? Or, is there a way to remotely start it?
    > I'm just beginning to think about some kind of home security system that I
    > could monitor from another location. But I really have no clue to what I'm
    > even thinking about. I just have a spare desktop that has Active home
    > running on it and trying to decide if there is anything practical I could do
    > with that. Like check if the lights are on, make sure furnace is running in
    > winter, monitor house temperature, make sure the sump pump has power etc...
    > All from my laptop while gone.

    This would be an extension of the old adage, "It helps if you plug it
    in."

    If it's off, it's off. Without some fancy hardwiring of the switch and
    some added equipment.

    Might work in Stand-by mode, you could possibly test that, but a
    complete power outage would shut it down and require a manual restart.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov
    James D Andrews, Aug 2, 2011
  6. Netman

    me again Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:
    > Joe J snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    >> "Netman" <> wrote in message news:j0fcjf$b4v$...
    >>>
    >>> Uzytkownik "me again" <> napisal w wiadomosci

    >>> I got it.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
    >>>
    >>> This worked fine in my situation.
    >>>
    >>> Netm.
    >>>

    >> OK, probably a dumb question, but does the PC you are trying to connect to, have to
    >> always be on? Or, is there a way to remotely start it?
    >> I'm just beginning to think about some kind of home security system that I could
    >> monitor from another location. But I really have no clue to what I'm even thinking
    >> about. I just have a spare desktop that has Active home running on it and trying to
    >> decide if there is anything practical I could do with that. Like check if the
    >> lights are on, make sure furnace is running in winter, monitor house temperature,
    >> make sure the sump pump has power etc... All from my laptop while gone.

    > This would be an extension of the old adage, "It helps if you plug it in."
    >
    > If it's off, it's off. Without some fancy hardwiring of the switch and some added
    > equipment.
    >
    > Might work in Stand-by mode, you could possibly test that, but a complete power
    > outage would shut it down and require a manual restart.

    A PC in "sleep mode" can be awakened by NIC "activity" (internet traffic) I believe.
    me again, Aug 2, 2011