    network encryption & network key, is there a way to remotely add this info to
    each laptop either thru a profile or the registry?

    Thx,

    =?Utf-8?B?TEFN?=, Nov 8, 2006

  2. Hello LAM,
    I have had similar ideas. I don't think there is an easy way to deploy this
    particular information out to remote machines. You can always remote desktop
    and manually add in the details. Of course you're still manually doing it
    but it saves the trips to each station. You can create a whole new image
    for each station and ghost that image out to all the machines, but this seems
    a bit over the top. You can create a custom profile, capture it and store
    it somewhere (like a server) but you still need to make a trip to each machine
    and run the wizard.

    I believe it to be best practice to manually punch the network pass phrase
    key for the wireless encryption. This way to ensure the correct key is punched
    in and confirmed. Hope this helps.

    Danny Gallegos
    Roland Schorr & Tower
    http://www.rolandschorr.com

    Danny Gallegos, Nov 10, 2006

  3. You might try using Windows Connect Now (WCN) to setup the wireless
    parameters on a flash drive then use the flash drive to configure your
    laptop clients.

    If you have older clients that do not support WCN you can copy the
    appropriate encryption key from the \Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt file on the flash
    drive into the wireless parameters on the client.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx#EJCAC

    I have never tried this but I suppose you could also copy the WCN
    files/folder to a network accessible drive and users could run the
    configuration or copy the files/folder to their laptop/PC for later use.

    Of course this all may be moot if you have a large amount of clients to
    configure...

    Additionally you would need to manually change the resulting encryption type
    on each client if your network uses WPA-PSK (AES) or WPA2 since WCN does not
    support that. You will also need to manually copy the encryption key to any
    wireless access point that does not have a USB port.

    I do know that WCN works well for me in my small SoHo environment. In my
    case I use WPA-PSK (AES) with two wireless clients.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Nov 10, 2006
  4. Thank you both for your help, I will give those suggestions a try.

    =?Utf-8?B?TEFN?=, Nov 10, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TEFN?=

    mramad

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    i would like to do an executable file that auto configure peap on wireless clients
    any ideas??
    the wireless wizard results a XML file that contains config , and an exe file that does setup , but XML file only contans SSID ,Encryption any ideas how to add authentication type??

    mramad, Nov 10, 2006