Remote Capture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by The Toad, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. The Toad

    The Toad Guest

    I'm working on a customer software solution for a customer and need
    some details on remote capabilities of digital cameras.

    I need to know if it's possible to connect a camera to a pc and and
    have access to the pics realtime. It does not matter if it's access
    to the file after pics taken, or pic goes directly to pc in raw
    format, or pic automatically saves to pc hard drive. Any of the above
    will work.

    Before you say it, yes I've tried Canon remote capture and yes I've
    looked at the product from breezesystems.com (I think it's called
    PSRemote).

    Here's my problem with the above solutions: while connected to PC,
    you cannot use any settings on camera, you have to use software from
    PC (i.e. zoom, flash, and lcd viewfinder). I need to be able to hold
    the camera, snap the pic, and have it download to pc. Is this
    possible with another camera brand? After calling Canon, it appears
    this is going to happen with ALL canon cameras connected via USB.

    Thanks,
    Adam
    The Toad, Nov 13, 2003

  2. The Toad

    Guest

    The Toad <> wrote:
    > I'm working on a customer software solution for a customer and need
    > some details on remote capabilities of digital cameras.

    > I need to know if it's possible to connect a camera to a pc and and
    > have access to the pics realtime. It does not matter if it's access
    > to the file after pics taken, or pic goes directly to pc in raw
    > format, or pic automatically saves to pc hard drive. Any of the above
    > will work.

    Why not just get a webcam?
    , Nov 13, 2003

  3. The Toad

    The Toad Guest

    > Why not just get a webcam?
    A webcam does not work because it does not function like a camera
    (i.e. hold it in hand, look through viewfinder, snap photo). That's
    my problem with canon remote capture...you cannot control the camera
    while connected via usb.

    Adam
    The Toad, Nov 14, 2003
  4. "The Toad" <> wrote:
    > A webcam does not work because it does not function like a camera
    > (i.e. hold it in hand, look through viewfinder, snap photo). That's
    > my problem with canon remote capture...you cannot control the camera
    > while connected via usb.

    If you look for a webcam that can also be carried as a freestanding
    digicam, they generally do what you are describing. Look at Creative
    webcams, and there are other vendors.
    --
    Judson McClendon (remove zero)
    Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com