    and sort it!!!!

    Thank you

    Alistair

    Alistair, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Alistair

    The Prophecy Guest

    Alistair wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Will Netmeeting under Win XP work a remote pc running Netmeeting with
    > OS Win 98 SE sharing the desktop? This is like a remote assistance
    > with my friend who has alittle trouble sometimes - just saves me
    > travelling 20 miles to go and sort it!!!!
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Alistair

    In order to connect to your friend's computer remotely you will probably
    need to use a third party program. What is currently available in Windows
    will not work. For Remote Assistance you need 2 computers running either XP
    Home, XP Pro and I think (I'm not sure) Windows Server 2003. To use Remote
    Desktop Connection, you need 2 people running either Windows 2000, XP or
    2003. The Remote Desktop Connection software is available as a seperate
    download from Microsoft's site but I am 99% sure that you need Windows 2000
    or higher. There are options to use third party programs such as RealVNC. I
    have used it before and I think it works great. All you need is the person's
    computer name or IP address. To get RealVNC go here:

    http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

    The Prophecy, Jun 18, 2004

  3. Alistair

    TV Slug Guest

    The Prophecy wrote:
    > Alistair wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Will Netmeeting under Win XP work a remote pc running Netmeeting with
    >> OS Win 98 SE sharing the desktop? This is like a remote assistance
    >> with my friend who has alittle trouble sometimes - just saves me
    >> travelling 20 miles to go and sort it!!!!
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Alistair

    > In order to connect to your friend's computer remotely you will
    > probably need to use a third party program. What is currently
    > available in Windows will not work. For Remote Assistance you need 2
    > computers running either XP Home, XP Pro and I think (I'm not sure)
    > Windows Server 2003. To use Remote Desktop Connection, you need 2
    > people running either Windows 2000, XP or 2003. The Remote Desktop
    > Connection software is available as a seperate download from
    > Microsoft's site but I am 99% sure that you need Windows 2000 or
    > higher. There are options to use third party programs such as
    > RealVNC. I have used it before and I think it works great. All you
    > need is the person's computer name or IP address. To get RealVNC go
    > here:
    >
    > http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

    I'll second the RealVNC vote. Any friends or family that call me for
    computer help on a regular basis get this installed. Now if I could just
    find a nicer way to determine the IP for people who use dialup...

    ---

    TV Slug, Jun 18, 2004