    all seem to be in order. what could be the problem?

    Have you tried it? Does it work for you? Did you have to set it up first?

    thanks.
    wewa, Jun 14, 2005

  2. wewa

    MHPNW STAFF Guest

    I haven't used remote assistance, but I use remote desktop connection to
    connect from home to work without problems....

    Dennis

    MHPNW STAFF, Jun 14, 2005

  3. wewa

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "MHPNW STAFF" <> wrote in message
    >I haven't used remote assistance, but I use remote desktop connection to
    >connect from home to work without problems....
    >
    > Dennis
    >

    > "wewa" <> wrote in message
    >>I am running build 1433 and on my xp pro 32bit, i always use msn messenger
    >>to do remote assistance to help others.
    >> but its not working on x64. when someone sends me a im invite to assist
    >> them, it says:
    >>
    >> Arleen is inviting you to start Remote Assistance. Do you want to
    >> Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?
    >>
    >> The invitation from Arleen to start Remote Assistance was declined.
    >> The program is disabled or is not installed on your computer.
    >>
    >> I've check system properties, and administrative services control panel.
    >> but all seem to be in order. what could be the problem?
    >>
    >> Have you tried it? Does it work for you? Did you have to set it up first?
    >>
    >> thanks.

    Have you tried opening the Services Console and checking the status of the
    Remote Assistance Services?

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 14, 2005
  4. "wewa" <> wrote in message
    >I am running build 1433 and on my xp pro 32bit, i always use msn messenger
    >to do remote assistance to help others.
    > but its not working on x64. ...

    Please install the final production version of the x64 product and retest.
    Either download the trial version or purchase the OEM version.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/howtobuy/default.mspx
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 14, 2005
  5. wewa

    wewa Guest

    Do you mean 'Remote Desktop Help Session Manager?'

    It was on Automatic, but was not started.
    I'll see if that does the trick.
    Thanks.

    wewa, Jun 14, 2005
  6. wewa

    wewa Guest

    I ordered the 32/64 exchange program and its 'pending.'

    thanks.

    wewa, Jun 14, 2005
  7. Ok great.
    When you get yours shipped (or if you can;t wait you could just download the
    time limited trial version) please post back if you are still having the
    same problem.
    I will also try and reproduce it on my x64 system.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 14, 2005
  8. Remote Assistance I believe works with Windows Messenger, not MSN Messenger.
    The reason I believe is because Windows Messenger comes built into the
    operating system.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 14, 2005
  9. wewa

    wewa Guest

    No, it works with MSN Messenger. I have used it many, many times this way.
    http://www.imagine-msn.com/Messenger/Post/Manage/RemoteAssistance.aspx

    Thanks.

    wewa, Jun 14, 2005
  10. Wewa, it requires Windows Messenger, not MSN Messenger. There is nothing in
    MSN Messenger for support of Remote Assistance, except for maybe utilizing a
    hotmail or msn e-mail account.
    Read the requirements:
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=300546

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 14, 2005
  11. wewa

    wewa Guest

    Hi Andre,

    We're slightly misunderstanding each other, in part, due to that outdated kb
    article you referenced. I read it.
    Either that or they're assuming that readers will equate win messenger = msn
    messenger, although microsoft's stance is that they're not quite the same.
    corporate and consumer.

    here's another outdated article from microsoft regarding messenger services:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_03august11.mspx

    another outdated article, from pcmag, but more accurate and detailed:

    I used Win messenger when it was current. I now use MSN messenger, and I'm
    telling you, it also supports requesting Remote Assistance.

    Thanks to microsoft outdated articles, we're splittin' hairs... :p

    Thanks.

    wewa, Jun 17, 2005
  12. No, it does not Wewa, Windows Messenger comes with Windows XP by default,
    which means its used on corporate networks because it ties in with Server
    products such as Exchange Server. I need someone to get this across to you.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 19, 2005
  13. If I may, I'd like to chime in in wewa's defense. For over a year I've been
    using MSN Messenger with Remote Assistance. Yes prior to that I was using
    Windows Messenger. They both worked fine. I don't know whether "TECHNICALLY"
    MSN Messenger was using Windows Messenger services under the covers but I
    suspect there was some sort of interface between the two. I don't really
    care. They work ... period. There is an option with MSN Msger to request
    remote assistance. Duh! :)

    Now on x64 the same can not be said. I just last nite installed MSN Msger 7.
    A few minutes later a friend called with a question and I immediately said
    invite me to a remote assistance session. They were on MSN Msger 7 with XP
    and I was on MSN Msger 7 with XPx64. It did not work. So I tried to invite
    them. Didn't work ... same type of errors that wewa described. So that makes
    two of us that can confirm that something that did work between MSN Msger and
    XP is not working on this new platform.
    --
    Stuart McFarlane
    Car = RX-7

    "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

    > No, it does not Wewa, Windows Messenger comes with Windows XP by default,
    > which means its used on corporate networks because it ties in with Server
    > products such as Exchange Server. I need someone to get this across to you.
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    SNIP ...

    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IE1jRmFybGFuZQ==?=, Jul 23, 2005