    x86 and x64 configurations side-by-side, I can't figure out what I'm
    missing...

    Is there some not-so-obvious setting somewhere on x64 that I've missed?
    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 26, 2006

  2. I strongly suspect that this is a problem with an x86 version of Live
    Messenger, and the remote assistance DLL being a 64bit version. And I don't
    know an easy answer. Except, of course, for running messenger in a VM, but
    that's rather a nuisance.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2006

  3. >I strongly suspect that this is a problem with an x86 version of Live
    >Messenger, and the remote assistance DLL being a 64bit version. And I don't
    >know an easy answer.

    Good reasoning; the thought has never even occured to me.

    That would imply however that the Remote Assistance function in Messenger
    has never worked for anybody. I can't recall seeing any post about this
    here or elsewhere. Can anybody corroborate?

    > Except, of course, for running messenger in a VM, but that's rather a
    > nuisance.

    What I've been doing instead is use another one of my machines that's
    sitting right next to it. Slightly more convenient than a VM...
    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Not something I ever use, so I honestly can't say if it's been broken all
    along.

    And yes, a machine next to you is also a good option.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2006