    about Windows Firewall (I'm using XP SP2)?

    And how risky is doing something like this in terms of getting hacked?

    , Dec 15, 2005

  2. XPD Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > If I want to be able to access my PC over the internet using something
    > like Real VNC, what do I have to do to allow this? I take it I have to
    > configure my ADSL modem to allow access to that particular port? What
    > about Windows Firewall (I'm using XP SP2)?
    >
    > And how risky is doing something like this in terms of getting hacked?

    Enable Remote Desktop since youre on XP, no need for VNC.
    On your router, open port 3389 and point it to your PC

    It uses your WIndows login/password, so security is as good/bad as Windows
    is ;)

    I use it all the time with no issues and so do a lot of my clients.

    XPD, Dec 15, 2005

  3. Steven H Guest

    Hello ,

    personally i run 'Remote Desktop' over a VPN, that way i can do anything
    i want on my home network without being 'restricted' to just one box

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Dec 15, 2005
  4. shannon Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>If I want to be able to access my PC over the internet using something
    >>like Real VNC, what do I have to do to allow this? I take it I have to
    >>configure my ADSL modem to allow access to that particular port? What
    >>about Windows Firewall (I'm using XP SP2)?
    >>
    >>And how risky is doing something like this in terms of getting hacked?
    >>

    > Enable Remote Desktop since youre on XP, no need for VNC.
    > On your router, open port 3389 and point it to your PC
    >
    > It uses your WIndows login/password, so security is as good/bad as Windows
    > is ;)
    >
    > I use it all the time with no issues and so do a lot of my clients.

    Suggest that you use the built in Windows XP VPN connection if you want
    to use RDP over the intarweb

    shannon, Dec 15, 2005
  5. Mark Guest

    >> If I want to be able to access my PC over the internet using something
    >> like Real VNC, what do I have to do to allow this? I take it I have to
    >> configure my ADSL modem to allow access to that particular port? What
    >> about Windows Firewall (I'm using XP SP2)?
    >>
    >> And how risky is doing something like this in terms of getting hacked?

    RDP works well...though always a good idea to have a secure Windows
    password - and deffinatly use a non standard port (eg 6000 pointing
    thru to 3389 on your pc), or a vpn.

    Mark, Dec 16, 2005