Remote access to a DVR

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Mar 21, 2009.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have a Digital Video Recorder (DVR). Is IP address on the LAN is
    192.168.1.6

    I can access the DVR on the LAN from all the PC's on the LAN. If I take note
    of the WAN address from the Status tab, and type it in from an external
    connection it will not connect. I have setup a virtual server for DVR VS1,
    192.168.1.6, TCP 80/80, Always, and DVR VS, 192.168.1.6, TCP 37777/37777,
    Always.

    I have also set up firewall rules for, Allow, DVR VS1,
    WAN,0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255, LAN 192.168.1.6-192.168.1.6, TCP 80-80, and
    Allow,DVR VS, WAN,0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255, LAN 192.168.1.6-192.168.1.6, TCP
    37777-37777.

    I have even tried using the DMZ, and enabling 192.68.1.6, but still cannot
    access DVR.

    I am trying to use the following format; 82.26.17.248:37777 or
    82.26.17.248/37777

    If I type in the external IP ie 86.0.100.246 from the LAN, I get the
    "Connect to 82.26.17.248" Router logon box.

    How do I access the DVR on 192.168.1.6? If all was working ok, what should I
    see when I type in an IP address and port? Should it give me the Router
    logon box, or should it take me to the DVR and if so what should I see. When
    the DVR is first accessed from a PC on the LAN (Through IE), you have to
    download an active X control to use the DVR functions and remotely control
    the DVR.

    Is there a way to test the router by setting up one of the PC's to be a
    server? And then testing to see if I can connect.

    The DVR company say if the equipment works on the LAN there is nothing
    wrong, but an access problem through the Router.

    Is it possible to do this using the DSL G624M, or do I need another router?

    John, Mar 21, 2009

  2. John

    G. Morgan Guest

    G. Morgan, Mar 21, 2009

  3. You need to use the correct port numbers to forward to the DVR. For example
    your dvr probably has a minimum of 3 ports that it uses and, depending on
    the brand, may or may not be configurable. Port 80 is used for the the web
    interface only, there is a port for the video feed, the remote software and
    for the sound. Find out which port numbers are used for your DVR and set the
    port forwarding section of your router to the corresponding internal IP of
    your DVR. Port forwarding is all that needs to be set. Do not use 8080
    because that is a secure https setting. If you are sure that all the port
    forwarding settings are correct and it still does not work then I would
    check on D-links website for a router firmware update. What the DVR company
    said is correct about if it works on the lan then the problem is with the
    router.

    your time.

    The Real Truth \(Not my real name\) MS MVP, Mar 21, 2009
  4. John

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:05:41 -0000, John wrote:

    >I have a Digital Video Recorder (DVR). Is IP address on the LAN is
    >192.168.1.6
    >
    >I can access the DVR on the LAN from all the PC's on the LAN. If I take note

    Makes sense.

    >of the WAN address from the Status tab, and type it in from an external

    WAN IP of the unspecified (ditto DVR) router models status tab.

    >connection it will not connect. I have setup a virtual server for DVR VS1,

    It will not connect how, it simply doesn't work or your FW/router is
    logging a failure.

    >192.168.1.6, TCP 80/80, Always, and DVR VS, 192.168.1.6, TCP 37777/37777,

    That syntax means sonething to you.

    >Always.

    Connecting to something on port 80, doesn't always mean it's port 80
    back.

    >I have also set up firewall rules for, Allow, DVR VS1,

    Ah some unspecified firewall to go with the yet unnamed router.

    >WAN,0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255, LAN 192.168.1.6-192.168.1.6, TCP 80-80, and

    That's a big range. More so since you gave out public IPs which do
    change and aren't the same as you have just posted with nrth,winn,brhm.

    >Allow,DVR VS, WAN,0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255, LAN 192.168.1.6-192.168.1.6, TCP
    >37777-37777.

    As your WAN IP is likely to change as your ISP uses DHCP, you need to
    use a dynamic IP service like dyndns, http://www.dyndns.com/ , or other
    similar services.

    >I have even tried using the DMZ, and enabling 192.68.1.6, but still cannot
    >access DVR.
    >
    >I am trying to use the following format; 82.26.17.248:37777 or

    To connect externally, in the DMZ entry or what......

    >82.26.17.248/37777

    Did you invent a new syntax IP/port. It's the 1st one IP:port.

    >If I type in the external IP ie 86.0.100.246 from the LAN, I get the
    >"Connect to 82.26.17.248" Router logon box.

    Two external WAN public facing IPs.

    Port 80 on the WAN facing device is the router login. Unless you can
    change it.

    >How do I access the DVR on 192.168.1.6? If all was working ok, what should I
    >see when I type in an IP address and port? Should it give me the Router
    >logon box, or should it take me to the DVR and if so what should I see. When
    >the DVR is first accessed from a PC on the LAN (Through IE), you have to
    >download an active X control to use the DVR functions and remotely control
    >the DVR.

    You use port forwarding,

    Access device using WANIP:3128 , set port forwarding on the router to be
    from WANIP:3128 to 192.168.1.6:80

    >Is there a way to test the router by setting up one of the PC's to be a
    >server? And then testing to see if I can connect.

    Yes. Run a web / ftp (or several others, it's safer not to) server on
    it. But why bother you have one on the DVR already. You can't reach 1 so
    how could you get the other.

    >The DVR company say if the equipment works on the LAN there is nothing
    >wrong, but an access problem through the Router.

    The router is protecting you from any outside problems.

    >Is it possible to do this using the DSL G624M, or do I need another router?

    Ah, the important bit at the end. Too Late.
    Don't know, don't have a manual for that.

    Me

    why?, Mar 21, 2009
  5. John

    Leythos Guest

    In article <qKcxl.3991$>,
    says...
    > Do not use 8080
    > because that is a secure https setting.

    Strange, port 8080 is not defined anywhere as a secure HTTPS port.

    Most of our DVR units work in HTTP mode on port 8080 just fine.

    -
    Chris, Stalking on the internet is a crime, your signature indicates you
    are a sick individual stalking myself as well as others, you have
    warned, again.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)
    Public Service Warning: Learn about PCButts before you trust:

    Leythos, Mar 21, 2009
  6. John

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:15:03 -0700, The Real Truth (Not my real name)
    MS MVP wrote:

    while top posting and using a sig that removed all of the OP.

    <snip>

    >your dvr probably has a minimum of 3 ports that it uses and, depending on

    Easier to say knowing the model.

    <snip>
    >your DVR. Port forwarding is all that needs to be set. Do not use 8080
    >because that is a secure https setting. If you are sure that all the port

    8080 is secure https, since when? Although it can be anything it's a
    common alternative to 80. Default https is 443.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Mar 22, 2009
  7. 808 is the default https for most routers as the op said when he used 8080
    it asked for his router username and password.

    Get a better news reader.

    your time.

    The Real Truth \(Not my real name\) MS MVP, Mar 22, 2009
  8. John

    Leythos Guest

    In article <8ouxl.16476$>,
    says...
    > 808 is the default https for most routers as the op said when he used 8080
    > it asked for his router username and password.
    >
    > Get a better news reader.

    learn more about routers yourself sonny - 8080 IS not designated as
    HTTPS, it's a simple port. Many devices use HTTP over 8080 and many
    allow you to setup HTTPS over 8080.

    You need a better brain, you're is corrupted.

    Leythos, Mar 22, 2009
  9. John

    John Guest

    The DVR is a DVR365 from SystemQ Ltd.

    John, Mar 23, 2009
  10. John

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:16:52 -0700, The Real Truth (Not my real name)
    MS MVP wrote:

    Stupid top posting sig.

    >808 is the default https for most routers as the op said when he used 8080

    No it's not.

    >it asked for his router username and password.

    What the OP said was -

    'If I type in the external IP ie 86.0.100.246 from the LAN, I get the
    "Connect to 82.26.17.248" Router logon box.'

    No comment about not using port 80 there. The only non 80 port OP did
    mention was 37777.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Mar 23, 2009
  11. John

    G. Morgan Guest

    John wrote:

    >The DVR is a DVR365 from SystemQ Ltd.

    Did you setup port forwarding in your router yet?

    G. Morgan, Mar 23, 2009
  12. John

    John Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    >

    >>The DVR is a DVR365 from SystemQ Ltd.

    > Did you setup port forwarding in your router yet?

    It does state that in the first post.

    I have since put a web server on one of the LAN PC's (KF web server) and I
    can port forward through to it, by using the IP address and the port. This
    would point to the DVR, but if I alter the service port on the DVR, I cannot
    access it on the LAN unless I alter the LAN software as well, which
    indicates the DVR is ok. So basically still puzzled!

    John, Mar 24, 2009
  13. John

    G. Morgan Guest

    John wrote:

    >"G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >> John wrote:
    >>

    >>>The DVR is a DVR365 from SystemQ Ltd.

    >> Did you setup port forwarding in your router yet?
    >>

    >It does state that in the first post.

    It says something about a "virtual server", that is not the terminology I
    would have used.

    >I have since put a web server on one of the LAN PC's (KF web server) and I
    >can port forward through to it, by using the IP address and the port.

    What do you mean "port forward through to it?" What port is the web server on
    - because it is not port 80 on your IP of 86.27.138.224. Also, port 37777 is
    closed -- is that the one configured in the DVR's setup page?

    > This
    >would point to the DVR, but if I alter the service port on the DVR, I cannot
    >access it on the LAN unless I alter the LAN software as well, which
    >indicates the DVR is ok. So basically still puzzled!

    You're skipping a whole lot of details. Please be very specific.

    I'm not convinced you have port forwarding setup correctly. Please post some
    screen shots of your router config, port-forwarding section. I use
    tinypic.com because it's fast to upload pics.

    G. Morgan, Mar 24, 2009
  14. John

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:46:38 -0000, John wrote:

    >"G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >> John wrote:
    >>

    >>>The DVR is a DVR365 from SystemQ Ltd.

    >> Did you setup port forwarding in your router yet?
    >>

    >It does state that in the first post.
    >
    >I have since put a web server on one of the LAN PC's (KF web server) and I
    >can port forward through to it, by using the IP address and the port. This

    Hopefully using the IP of the PC to some port on the PC :)

    >would point to the DVR, but if I alter the service port on the DVR, I cannot

    Why change the service port on the DVR? There wouldn't appear to be
    anything wrong with it. You didn't say what you changed from / to. Nor
    did you say what port KF was running on.

    So if the DVR is off, KF is pretending to be on the same port as the DVR
    all you have to do is turn off KF, turn on the DVR and change the IP in
    port forwarding on the router from the PC to the DVR leaving the port
    the same.

    Then again, does the DVR use a different outgoing port then the
    incoming?

    >access it on the LAN unless I alter the LAN software as well, which

    What LAN software and what changes.....

    >indicates the DVR is ok. So basically still puzzled!

    .... no detail is more of a puzzle than anything else.

    Me

    why?, Mar 25, 2009
  15. John

    G. Morgan Guest

    why? wrote:

    >... no detail is more of a puzzle than anything else.

    Yep.

    G. Morgan, Mar 25, 2009