Remote Access or Branch Office Solution Needed

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by melickas@yahoo.com, Jun 27, 2006.

  1. Guest

    We are looking for the best recommendation for the following situation
    for sharing files on our server across a WAN. In Building A (call it
    BA), our server is Windows 2003 Standard Edition and it has (1) network

    card with (3) XP client computers and is a DC. We access the Internet
    via a cable connection. We do not currently have a Static IP address
    from our ISP. We have text documents & a database file for a program we

    use on the clients located on this server. We want to access these
    documents and database file from Building B (call it BB) which is (2-3)

    blocks away from BA and has (3) XP workstations, without a server,
    currently sharing a cable Internet connection The workstations in BB
    run the same programs (software is installed locally) as those in BA,
    but need access to the database file and documents in BA.

    We are familiar with setting up VPNs using SBS2000 and remotely
    accessing workstations on a network using RDC. However, there may be
    occasion where users in BA will be using their computers and we would
    not want to permit a RDC to those PCs just in order run the approriate
    software or open shared documents.

    What hardware,setup would be required in BA and BB to configure this
    remote/WAN access?
    What are the latest,greatest technology options to accomplish this?

    We are assuming a Static IP in BA, adding another NIC (to isolate
    internal network from external) and new router with VPN support are
    necessary?

    Question: Would it be necessary for both sites to have a Static IP?
    Any recommendations on reading about Branch office setups?

    Thank you!
    , Jun 27, 2006

  2. www.BradReese.Com, Jun 27, 2006

  3. Merv Guest

    Sounds like something a couple of Cisco Linksys VPN routers could handle
    Merv, Jun 27, 2006
  4. www.BradReese.Com, Jun 27, 2006
  5. Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    Does this mean that workers at the "branch office" would be added to
    the domain, and login as if they were in the same building? Meaning
    they would not use Remote Desktop?
    Does a VPN require Static IP from ISP for both locations or just one?

    Would you recommend a second NIC on the server?

    Thanks!

    > Sounds like something a couple of Cisco Linksys VPN routers could handle
    , Jun 28, 2006
  6. It would be helpful to directly call Cisco Pre-Sales Support
    1-800-745-7381 in the USA or Canada between 8:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. EST

    Additionally, you may reach Cisco Pre-Sales Support at 800-553-6387,
    option 2, between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

    Cisco Pre-Sales Support Email:

    http://tools.cisco.com/GCT/PCTPST/PAGContactUs.jsp

    International Cisco Pre-Sales Support Phone and Email:

    http://www.cisco.com/now/international/directory.html

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    Cisco Technical Forums
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-technical-newsgroups.htm
    www.BradReese.Com, Jun 28, 2006
  7. Guest

    Thank you for the reply..however just looking for a simple answer from
    someone on what "interface" we would be using to connect to the main
    building--that is, what would it be like...would it be just like you
    were on a "regular" network and would not have to use RDC?

    www.BradReese.Com wrote:
    > It would be helpful to directly call Cisco Pre-Sales Support
    > 1-800-745-7381 in the USA or Canada between 8:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. EST
    >
    > Additionally, you may reach Cisco Pre-Sales Support at 800-553-6387,
    > option 2, between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
    >
    > Cisco Pre-Sales Support Email:
    >
    > http://tools.cisco.com/GCT/PCTPST/PAGContactUs.jsp
    >
    > International Cisco Pre-Sales Support Phone and Email:
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/now/international/directory.html
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Brad Reese
    > Cisco Technical Forums