    Please Help!!!

    --
    Lurk

    Lurk, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Lurk

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Lurk" <> wrote in news:bpq0ai$f3g$:

    > This service will not start, and I need this service to start the
    > ICF/ICS service. I am trying to set up the Internet on my laptop. I
    > have WindowsXP professional which is networked to my home PC.
    > Everytime I try to start the Remote Access Connection Manager service
    > it is throwing up the following error - "Error 5 - Access Denied". I
    > know I need this service to allow my laptop to connect to the
    > internet, but can't figure out why this service won't run.

    Are you logged in as the administrator?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Lurk

    Duane Arnold Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in news:Xns943C749965ADAWobbly@216.168.3.30:

    > Newsgroups: alt.computer
    > Subject: Remote Access Connection Manager
    > Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:57:38 +0000 (UTC)
    >
    > This service will not start, and I need this service to start the
    > ICF/ICS service. I am trying to set up the Internet on my laptop. I
    > have WindowsXP professional which is networked to my home PC.
    > Everytime I try to start the Remote Access Connection Manager service
    > it is throwing up the following error - "Error 5 - Access Denied". I
    > know I need this service to allow my laptop to connect to the
    > internet, but can't figure out why this service won't run.
    >
    > Please Help!!!
    >
    > --
    > Lurk

    There are two ways to set up XP's ICF/ICS as a gateway machine being
    discussed in the XP Pro Resource Kit book.

    1) Configuring an ICS Computer with an Analog Modem or ISDN Connection

    2) Configuring an ICS Computer with a DSL or Cable Moden Connection

    You can probably find the how to(s), using Google.

    Are you using two NIC(s) on the machine? You should have two NIC(s) on
    the machine. One NIC should be facing the Internet and the other one
    facing the LAN when using the XP machine as a gateway.

    You may also want to look into further securing that gateway XP machine
    by implementing the O/S TCP/IP Security features on the machine. And
    possibly looking into using IPsec filtering to protect the gateway and
    DHCP client machines on inbound and outbound connections. Both are part
    of the security features of a NT based O/S.

    You also may want to *harden* the XP machine a little bit more from being
    attacked.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

    Off the top of the bat, disable the Fast User Switching service and
    disable Simple File Sharing.

    Duane:)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 23, 2003