Remote Access Connection Manager Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Humble One, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Humble One

    Humble One Guest

    450 Mhz, 12 GB HD, Windows XP w/SP 1

    Current Problem: Unable to dial out to access the Internet or retrieve
    email. Unable to set up a new connection in Connection Wizard as option for
    Dial Up service does not appear.

    My problem first occurred when I lost the search assistant feature within
    Windows Explorer.

    I tried the Microsoft fix found at:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319949

    That was unsuccessful. I tried to reinstall SP 1 but Windows wouldn't allow
    me to perform that.

    I decided to reload Windows XP, using a CD of Windows XP Upgrade.

    The search assistant feature was corrected, however this software reload
    created another condition. I am unable to setup an Internet Connection
    using the Connection Wizard. Further investigation led me to discover that
    the Remote Access Connection Manager and the Remote Access Auto Connection
    Manager were not starting.

    I tried this Microsoft repair:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330163

    Using this repair I was able to start Telephony, however both Connection
    Managers refused to start. When I try to start Remote Access Connection
    Manager I get an Error 5 - Access Denied message. When I try to start
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager I get an Error 1068 message.
    Everything leads back to Telephony but that's not the problem. Using device
    manager I uninstalled then reinstalled my modem. That seems to be fine.

    Then I stumbled across this bulletin:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829779

    and I wonder if I shot myself in the foot by reloading Windows XP upgrade on
    top of SP 1.

    I have the My Documents file backed up. Short of formatting the hard drive
    and loading Windows XP, how do I resolve this?

    Humble One, Feb 25, 2005