Remote access advice wanted

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    I have a computer about 20km away from here that I would like to add to
    the house network.

    The computer is running a continuing process (an audio playout program
    for a low-power radio station) and I would like to be able to upload new
    files, carry on housekeeping tasks and check broadcast logs without
    having to get in the car and drive over there.

    The computer as a fixed IP address. it's a functionality offered by
    "GoToMyPC" and its rivals, but I don't want to end up paying a monthly
    subscription for this functionality.

    The playout program only runs under Windows XP, so that's what's
    running: Home edition on the remote computer (one of last years
    WareHouse Dell Dimension 3000 bargains with 1GB of RAM) and Professional
    at this end. I also run Ubuntu Breezy here in a separate partition, if
    that helps.

    Non-violent recommendations welcome, flames > dev/nul. Or > #10 if you
    remember that far back.

    Philip

    Philip, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Philip wrote:
    > Non-violent recommendations welcome, flames > dev/nul. Or > #10 if you
    > remember that far back.

    I'm having some trouble understanding exactly what you want to do from
    the description, but "VNC" would probably do what you need, runs on
    Windows and *nix, and is free.

    If you don't need a GUI, I'd try installing SSH on the Windows box
    (http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/). Note, I haven't tried this on
    Windows myself, it was on my list of things to try this week.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Philip

    Mark C Guest

    Philip <> wrote in

    > I have a computer about 20km away from here that I would like to
    > add to the house network.
    >
    > The computer as a fixed IP address. it's a functionality offered
    > by "GoToMyPC" and its rivals, but I don't want to end up paying
    > a monthly subscription for this functionality.

    UltraVNC

    Mark C, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Philip

    MarkH Guest

    Mark C <> wrote in news:43936b0e$0$16709$c3e8da3
    @news.astraweb.com:

    > Philip <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a computer about 20km away from here that I would like to
    >> add to the house network.
    >>
    >> The computer as a fixed IP address. it's a functionality offered
    >> by "GoToMyPC" and its rivals, but I don't want to end up paying
    >> a monthly subscription for this functionality.

    > UltraVNC

    This is what I was thinking. UltraVNC is free and lets you transfer files
    as well as control the remote desktop.

    Remote Desktop Client (comes with WinXP) would work for controlling the
    desktop, but you would have to transfer the files by other means.

    With a fixed IP this should be very easy to setup.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 4, 2005
  5. Philip

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:58:02 GMT, MarkH <>
    exclaimed:

    >Remote Desktop Client (comes with WinXP) would work for controlling the
    >desktop, but you would have to transfer the files by other means.

    RDP Server is only in XP Pro, not XP Home.

    Fred Dagg, Dec 4, 2005
  6. Philip

    David Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Mark C <> wrote in news:43936b0e$0$16709$c3e8da3
    > @news.astraweb.com:
    >

    >>Philip <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>I have a computer about 20km away from here that I would like to
    >>>add to the house network.
    >>>
    >>>The computer as a fixed IP address. it's a functionality offered
    >>>by "GoToMyPC" and its rivals, but I don't want to end up paying
    >>>a monthly subscription for this functionality.

    >>UltraVNC

    > This is what I was thinking. UltraVNC is free and lets you transfer files
    > as well as control the remote desktop.
    >
    > Remote Desktop Client (comes with WinXP) would work for controlling the
    > desktop, but you would have to transfer the files by other means.
    >
    > With a fixed IP this should be very easy to setup.

    Remote Desktop is IME much, much faster than VNC (it hooks into GDI
    directly). XP home doesn't include it though. If VNC is too slow, it
    might be worth, ummm, obtaining Pro. filetransfer can be done a million
    ways, FTP would work (run a server on the remote box, and just upload
    stuff), or the other way, running a server (FTP, HTTP, anything) locally
    and telling the remote box to download it using remote desktop or VNC. I
    think XP Pro includes FTP and HTTP servers (IIS in the add windows
    components dialog), but the versions included are buggy and insecure.
    you could even use windows file sharing, but even with password
    protection, I don't think opening up NetBIOS to the entire internet is
    wise. Maybe it has become more secure now, or you can tunnel it over SSH
    or something, I wouldn't know. It is a very nice and natural way to
    transfer files though.

    David, Dec 4, 2005
  7. Philip

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > I have a computer about 20km away from here

    20km, 2000km or 2m, it makes no difference :)

    > that I would like to add to the house network.

    That brings up a whole range of choices - how much do you want it
    integrated into your home network - do you want to be able to map
    network drives to you local system, or just access the remote system
    interactively.

    > The computer is running a continuing process (an audio playout program
    > for a low-power radio station) and I would like to be able to upload new
    > files, carry on housekeeping tasks and check broadcast logs without
    > having to get in the car and drive over there.

    Depending on your housekeeping tasks, SSH is the way to go (as mentioned
    elsewhere) using putty as the client on your local Windows machine. If
    the commandline scares you (which I doubt, given your other comments)
    you could use a console based file manager like mc (Midnight Commander -
    there is a Windows port) which makes file management a breeze, would be
    ideal for viewing logs, and can transfer files. I've used this
    combination quite a lot for remote access and prefer it to VNC.

    VNC might be suited to some of your housekeeping tasks, but I prefer a
    console interface simply because it is so much more responsive. Quite a
    lot of stuff can be done from a windows commandline (if you know how),
    but many people are unaware of this.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=windows shell scripting

    > The computer as a fixed IP address. it's a functionality offered by
    > "GoToMyPC" and its rivals, but I don't want to end up paying a monthly
    > subscription for this functionality.

    How often does your IP address change? Not clear from the above whether
    you have a real fixed IP address and have solved the problem, or are
    seeking a substitute for GoToMyPc - if the latter, try
    http://www.dyndns.com/

    -=rjh=-, Dec 4, 2005
  8. Philip

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Philip,

    i personally use a VPN to tunnel into my home network whenever i am away,
    from there i can do anything. that means i only need to open up one hole
    (ok mabye two or three, unsure actually) in my firewall.

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Dec 5, 2005
  9. Philip

    Allistar Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > I have a computer about 20km away from here that I would like to add to
    > the house network.
    >
    > The computer is running a continuing process (an audio playout program
    > for a low-power radio station) and I would like to be able to upload new
    > files, carry on housekeeping tasks and check broadcast logs without
    > having to get in the car and drive over there.
    >
    > The computer as a fixed IP address. it's a functionality offered by
    > "GoToMyPC" and its rivals, but I don't want to end up paying a monthly
    > subscription for this functionality.
    >
    > The playout program only runs under Windows XP, so that's what's
    > running: Home edition on the remote computer (one of last years
    > WareHouse Dell Dimension 3000 bargains with 1GB of RAM) and Professional
    > at this end. I also run Ubuntu Breezy here in a separate partition, if
    > that helps.
    >
    > Non-violent recommendations welcome, flames > dev/nul. Or > #10 if you
    > remember that far back.
    >
    > Philip

    Sounds like an SSH tunnel would do what you want. You can even forward ports
    which will gove you transparent access to file sharing (on port 139) and
    other things over a secure ssh link.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Dec 5, 2005
  10. Philip

    MarkH Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:58:02 GMT, MarkH <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>Remote Desktop Client (comes with WinXP) would work for controlling the
    >>desktop, but you would have to transfer the files by other means.

    > RDP Server is only in XP Pro, not XP Home.

    I am unfamiliar with this XP Home product that you speak of, is it some
    kind of crippled version that is best avoided?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 5, 2005
  11. Philip

    -=rjh=- Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Fred Dagg <> wrote in
    >

    >>On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:58:02 GMT, MarkH <>
    >>exclaimed:
    >>

    >>>Remote Desktop Client (comes with WinXP) would work for controlling the
    >>>desktop, but you would have to transfer the files by other means.

    >>RDP Server is only in XP Pro, not XP Home.

    > I am unfamiliar with this XP Home product that you speak of, is it some
    > kind of crippled version that is best avoided?

    That is the funniest thing I've seen in this ng :)

    -=rjh=-, Dec 5, 2005
  12. Philip

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 04:14:53 GMT, MarkH <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:58:02 GMT, MarkH <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>

    >>>Remote Desktop Client (comes with WinXP) would work for controlling the
    >>>desktop, but you would have to transfer the files by other means.

    >> RDP Server is only in XP Pro, not XP Home.

    >I am unfamiliar with this XP Home product that you speak of, is it some
    >kind of crippled version that is best avoided?

    Yep, that's the one.

    You know, the operating system that the Original Poster said he was
    using...

    Fred Dagg, Dec 5, 2005
  13. Philip

    MarkH Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 04:14:53 GMT, MarkH <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>Fred Dagg <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:58:02 GMT, MarkH <>
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> RDP Server is only in XP Pro, not XP Home.

    >>I am unfamiliar with this XP Home product that you speak of, is it
    >>some kind of crippled version that is best avoided?

    > Yep, that's the one.
    >
    > You know, the operating system that the Original Poster said he was
    > using...

    Damn, you're right! Ultra VNC would still be an option though.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 5, 2005