    bookmarklet? I did with FF 1.5. I have deleted the password from FF's
    memory, visited the American Express log-in site, and re-applied the
    bookmarklet several times. Still doesn't function properly.

    History Fan, Nov 7, 2006

  2. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > Firefox has an excellent password manager, but there are a few websites
    > that are configured to not remember your user ID's and passwords.
    > Fortunately, there are bookmarlets you can use to force Firefox to remember
    > them. This tweak has worked fine for me with FF 1.5.
    >
    > I have since upgraded to FF 2.0, and the bookmarklet JavaScript tweak
    > still works....except for one website: my American Express log-in screen.
    > When I visit the site, my user ID and password are visible. But when the
    > site finishes loading, the info is gone, and I have to re-type it. Any
    > ideas why this one particular website would not work with the passwords
    > bookmarklet? I did with FF 1.5. I have deleted the password from FF's
    > memory, visited the American Express log-in site, and re-applied the
    > bookmarklet several times. Still doesn't function properly.

    Can't say for sure what the problem is. However, Amex has had a habit
    of changing the URL for the logon page and it screws the password
    manager. Check your passwords very carefully for any Amex-like link and
    delete it. I recently had some problems with this. You might also want
    to delete any Amex cookies as well.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 8, 2006

  3. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > History Fan wrote:
    >> Firefox has an excellent password manager, but there are a few
    >> websites that are configured to not remember your user ID's and
    >> passwords. Fortunately, there are bookmarlets you can use to force
    >> Firefox to remember them. This tweak has worked fine for me with FF 1.5.
    >>
    >> I have since upgraded to FF 2.0, and the bookmarklet JavaScript tweak
    >> still works....except for one website: my American Express log-in screen.
    >> When I visit the site, my user ID and password are visible. But when the
    >> site finishes loading, the info is gone, and I have to re-type it. Any
    >> ideas why this one particular website would not work with the passwords
    >> bookmarklet? I did with FF 1.5. I have deleted the password from FF's
    >> memory, visited the American Express log-in site, and re-applied the
    >> bookmarklet several times. Still doesn't function properly.

    > Can't say for sure what the problem is. However, Amex has had a habit of
    > changing the URL for the logon page and it screws the password manager.
    > Check your passwords very carefully for any Amex-like link and delete it.
    > I recently had some problems with this. You might also want to delete any
    > Amex cookies as well.

    I went ahead and changed my Amer. Express password, deleted all
    cookies, but the glitch remains. Strange that it would only happen at this
    one site.

    History Fan, Nov 8, 2006
  4. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    >> Can't say for sure what the problem is. However, Amex has had a habit of
    >> changing the URL for the logon page and it screws the password manager.
    >> Check your passwords very carefully for any Amex-like link and delete it.
    >> I recently had some problems with this. You might also want to delete
    >> any Amex cookies as well.
    >>

    > I went ahead and changed my Amer. Express password, deleted all
    > cookies, but the glitch remains. Strange that it would only happen at
    > this one site.

    I ran FF in safe mode, to see if one of the extensions might be
    causing the trouble. But no change.

    History Fan, Nov 8, 2006
  5. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >> History Fan wrote:
    >>> Firefox has an excellent password manager, but there are a few
    >>> websites that are configured to not remember your user ID's and
    >>> passwords. Fortunately, there are bookmarlets you can use to force
    >>> Firefox to remember them. This tweak has worked fine for me with FF 1.5.
    >>>
    >>> I have since upgraded to FF 2.0, and the bookmarklet JavaScript tweak
    >>> still works....except for one website: my American Express log-in screen.
    >>> When I visit the site, my user ID and password are visible. But when the
    >>> site finishes loading, the info is gone, and I have to re-type it.

    As I think about it, I still think it might be a redirect issue. That
    is, if I go to http://americanexpress.com I am redirected to
    https://home.americanexpress.com/home/mt_personal_cm.shtml (which may be
    different depending on your locale). What happened to me recently was I
    had bookmarked an Amex logon page and they changed the redirect. So,
    password manager didn't know I wanted it to fill in the info.

    > I went ahead and changed my Amer. Express password, deleted all
    > cookies, but the glitch remains. Strange that it would only happen at this
    > one site.

    Did you delete your logon and passwords from Firefox's password manager
    as I suggested? You said you "changed" your password but you didn't
    mention deleting all mentions of amex in the pw manager.

    Go into Tools - Options - Privacy - Passwords - View Saved Passwords.
    Look for anything that has "americanexpress" in the URL and highlight
    and Remove it. Close that dialog. Click the Cookies tab. Click View
    Cookies. Do the same: delete any cookies that have "americanexpress" in
    them. Exit the dialog, exit Options. Close FF and restart it. Go to
    http://americanexpress.com and let it resolve the redirect. Check the
    location bar and note the redirect location.

    Now run the bookmarklet and log in and have FF remember the logon and
    pw. See if this gets you working again.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 9, 2006
  6. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    > Did you delete your logon and passwords from Firefox's password manager as
    > I suggested? You said you "changed" your password but you didn't mention
    > deleting all mentions of amex in the pw manager.

    There is only one reference to American Express in FF's password
    manager, and I have deleted it several times already. But the glitch
    remains.

    History Fan, Nov 9, 2006
  7. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    >> Did you delete your logon and passwords from Firefox's password manager as
    >> I suggested? You said you "changed" your password but you didn't mention
    >> deleting all mentions of amex in the pw manager.
    >>

    > There is only one reference to American Express in FF's password
    > manager, and I have deleted it several times already. But the glitch
    > remains.

    Sorry, but I'm at a loss. the only thing I can suggest at this point is
    to create a new profile. Try to access the Amex site and have FF save
    your logon info. Close FF. Try again. If that works I would suspect
    an extension or maybe a corrupted file. Also, make sure your pw file is
    not marked read-only (long shot).

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 9, 2006
  8. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    > Sorry, but I'm at a loss. the only thing I can suggest at this point is
    > to create a new profile. Try to access the Amex site and have FF save
    > your logon info. Close FF. Try again. If that works I would suspect an
    > extension or maybe a corrupted file. Also, make sure your pw file is not
    > marked read-only (long shot).

    Does FF 2.0 remember your user ID and password at the American Express
    website?

    History Fan, Nov 10, 2006