    32-bit Windows I can add/update new drivers and make the disc
    bootable, but I haven't been able to make a bootable disc like the
    original Microsoft disc.

    W, Sep 10, 2005

  2. This may be quite naive, but couldn't you exchange the files you don't need
    for the ones you do need on a existing '*.ISO' and write it back?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 10, 2005

  3. W

    W Guest

    Tried it using UltraISO but the resulting disc was not recognized as a
    bootable disc.

    W, Sep 11, 2005
  4. Not knowing of that one, I just had a look at their site. It would look as
    just the thing you need. So, what isn't working the way we expect? Let's
    have a look at a few of the possibilities:

    1. You are trying to boot a machine that is not an Itanium.
    2. You didn't understand the ISO format and burned the CD as 'something
    other'.
    3. You burned the CD on a machine other than the one you are trying to
    boot.
    4. You used a CDRW as medium.
    5. A combination of #'s 3 & 4.
    6. Your CD isn't set as bootable in the BIOS setup.
    7. You are trying to edit the ISO itself directly.

    Not trying to be offensive - just a list of things that has a habbit of
    cropping up here.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 11, 2005
  5. Hello,
    Actually the process for Itanium is quite a bit different so it's very
    likely not being generated properly.
    With an Itanium CD you have two volumes on the cd, one CDFS which is what
    is seen by the OS and is very much like an X86 or X64 cd image.
    There is also a FAT partition which contains the EFI file which are needed
    to start setup, this is visible when you are booted into the EFI shell.
    Most EFI shells only display the EFI volume. Windows only displays the
    CDFS volume and not the EFI (fat) volume.. So you would need the ability
    to create a multi-session cd with both volumes on is.

    it's discussed in this article that is talking about WinPE.
    303891 How to create a custom startup WinPE CD-ROM in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303891

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Tony Sperling" <>
    <Subject: Re: remastering bootable ia64 CD
    <Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:38:42 +0200
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <"W" <> wrote in message
    <> Tried it using UltraISO but the resulting disc was not recognized as a
    <> bootable disc.
    <>
    <> "Tony Sperling" <> wrote:
    <>
    <>>This may be quite naive, but couldn't you exchange the files you don't
    <>>need
    <>>for the ones you do need on a existing '*.ISO' and write it back?
    <>>
    <>>Tony. . .
    <>>
    <>>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 13, 2005
  6. W

    W Guest

    I got it figured out:

    It required the SETUPLDR.EFI and /EFI/BOOT/BOOTIA64.EFI files on a FAT
    partition (in my case a floppy) that I copied off Microsoft media in
    an EFI shell. This became the "boot source" using Nero Enterprise
    Edition (anything less doesn't have the ability to create a EFI boot
    disc.) On the boot tab select no emulation and EFI bootable. Add
    modified Microsoft content and burn.

    I couldn't find any hints on the Internet as to how this gets done.
    Not even in Nero's documentation.

    W, Sep 13, 2005