reluctantly switching back to IE

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ryan Meier, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. Ryan Meier

    Ryan Meier Guest

    I thought that with Firefox there would, finally, be a browser as good
    or better than IE. But I just have too many problems, and the fixes
    only half/sorta/don't work.

    Problems at the moment:

    --I can't get ActiveX to work, even with the workarounds available. I
    know a lot of Firefox fans don't like ActiveX, but at the moment I
    have to have it.

    --Firefox doesn't stop some popunders, even with adjustments

    --the "show me that last popup" feature is completely broken for me

    --too much memory usage

    --too slow (at least on my system, IE seems to to load and render
    pages faster)

    --random near-lockups, lockups and crashes of Firefox

    If anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for any of these I will try
    it. I'm running FF on Windows XP Pro.

    Also, if anyone can suggest a browser add-on/skin with tabbed
    browsing for IE that would be appreciated. Tabbed browsing and
    the auto-RSS feed will be the features I miss most.

    Ryan Meier, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Ryan Meier

    Erik Guest

    Ryan Meier wrote:

    >--I can't get ActiveX to work, even with the workarounds available. I
    >know a lot of Firefox fans don't like ActiveX, but at the moment I
    >have to have it.

    There are a couple of internal sites that due to bastardized HTML, etc.
    I have to use IE. Such is the state of the union. I use IE for those
    items and Firefox for the rest.

    >--Firefox doesn't stop some popunders, even with adjustments

    In my experience these are caused by installed extensions that are being
    "exploited" The following addition to "about:config" took care of it
    for me. Is this what you tried:
    Add a new integer to about:config "privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins"
    with a value of 2.

    >--too much memory usage

    How much is it using?

    >--random near-lockups, lockups and crashes of Firefox

    99% of my lockups have been related to a corrupt extension or an
    extension that didn't work well with my system or another extension. I
    discovered the problems extensions by disabling all of the extensions
    and then enabling them one by one. Irritating but it did the job.

    >Also, if anyone can suggest a browser add-on/skin with tabbe
    >browsing for IE that would be appreciated. Tabbed browsing and
    >the auto-RSS feed will be the features I miss most.

    It basically sounds like Netscape 8 is a tabbed browsing wrapper for the
    IE rendering engine! ;-)

    --
    -Erik
    http://blog.thesmithlife.com

    Erik, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Ryan Meier

    Moz Champion Guest

    Ryan Meier wrote:
    > I thought that with Firefox there would, finally, be a browser as good
    > or better than IE. But I just have too many problems, and the fixes
    > only half/sorta/don't work.
    >
    > Problems at the moment:
    >
    > --I can't get ActiveX to work, even with the workarounds available. I
    > know a lot of Firefox fans don't like ActiveX, but at the moment I
    > have to have it.
    >
    > --Firefox doesn't stop some popunders, even with adjustments
    >
    > --the "show me that last popup" feature is completely broken for me
    >
    > --too much memory usage
    >
    > --too slow (at least on my system, IE seems to to load and render
    > pages faster)
    >
    > --random near-lockups, lockups and crashes of Firefox
    >
    > If anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for any of these I will try
    > it. I'm running FF on Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > Also, if anyone can suggest a browser add-on/skin with tabbed
    > browsing for IE that would be appreciated. Tabbed browsing and
    > the auto-RSS feed will be the features I miss most.

    You want to use Active X, the MOST security glaring hole in IE? Why?
    Better you should encourage web designers NOT to program for it in the
    first place (by not using a program that utilizes it)

    You can also get an extension that does Active X in Firefox

    Firefox's popup control can be enhanced to block pop ups from plugins
    about:config
    create new preference by right click in lower window and select New Integer
    preference name:privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    preference value: 2

    This will prevent web sites from generating popups via your installed
    plugins, Shockwave Flash being the one most used for this purpose.

    If you dont want popups then why use show last pop up?

    The memory 'hit' of IE is built into the system. It actually uses more
    memory than Firefox, but you cant recover it easily.
    Firefox is just as fast (once it loads) as IE, if not faster. Again,
    since IE is built into your system, it pre-loads itself everytime you
    start windows, Firefox has to start from scratch. There are extensions
    that allieviate this somewhat tho.

    If you are having problems with Firefox, than ask here for solutions.
    Give us the details of exactly what happens, and WHERE it happens, and
    any error messages or indications you see

    Moz Champion, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Ryan Meier

    Ryan Meier Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 05:16:33 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >Ryan Meier wrote:
    >> I thought that with Firefox there would, finally, be a browser as good
    >> or better than IE. But I just have too many problems, and the fixes
    >> only half/sorta/don't work.
    >>
    >> Problems at the moment:
    >>
    >> --I can't get ActiveX to work, even with the workarounds available. I
    >> know a lot of Firefox fans don't like ActiveX, but at the moment I
    >> have to have it.
    >>
    >> --Firefox doesn't stop some popunders, even with adjustments
    >>
    >> --the "show me that last popup" feature is completely broken for me
    >>
    >> --too much memory usage
    >>
    >> --too slow (at least on my system, IE seems to to load and render
    >> pages faster)
    >>
    >> --random near-lockups, lockups and crashes of Firefox
    >>
    >> If anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for any of these I will try
    >> it. I'm running FF on Windows XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Also, if anyone can suggest a browser add-on/skin with tabbed
    >> browsing for IE that would be appreciated. Tabbed browsing and
    >> the auto-RSS feed will be the features I miss most.

    >You want to use Active X, the MOST security glaring hole in IE? Why?
    >Better you should encourage web designers NOT to program for it in the
    >first place (by not using a program that utilizes it)

    There are two gaming sites that I use (one a pay one) that require
    ActiveX.

    The other reason is that a program that I use for my job requires it.
    Glaring security hole or not, I have to have it for that program.

    >You can also get an extension that does Active X in Firefox

    I've tried two of these, one a standalone .dll and another more
    complete one. Both seem to have zero effect. The more complete one,
    I think, is still fairly new/incomplete. Like I said, I tried.

    >Firefox's popup control can be enhanced to block pop ups from plugins
    >about:config
    >create new preference by right click in lower window and select New Integer
    >preference name:privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    >preference value: 2

    I'll try this, in addition, to what I did before.

    >This will prevent web sites from generating popups via your installed
    >plugins, Shockwave Flash being the one most used for this purpose.
    >
    >If you dont want popups then why use show last pop up?

    Fairly often I _want_ to see the popup. As it is now, I have to click
    the "allow this site to show popups" or whatever it's called.

    >The memory 'hit' of IE is built into the system. It actually uses more
    >memory than Firefox, but you cant recover it easily.
    >Firefox is just as fast (once it loads) as IE, if not faster. Again,
    >since IE is built into your system, it pre-loads itself everytime you
    >start windows, Firefox has to start from scratch. There are extensions
    >that allieviate this somewhat tho.

    Actually yes I forgot about this one, Firefox Preloader. That one's
    solved.

    >If you are having problems with Firefox, than ask here for solutions.
    >Give us the details of exactly what happens, and WHERE it happens, and
    >any error messages or indications you see

    I did ask. For the crashes and lockups, I will provide the log file
    after it happens next. It happens on an unfortunately regular basis,
    at least on my system, so it won't be long.

    Ryan Meier, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Ryan Meier

    Ryan Meier Guest

    Here's another Firefox phenomenon I forgot to list. Occasionally
    after I exit Firefox, it will stay loaded (look at Task Manager in the
    screenshot) but refuse to open any new windows again. Again,
    you can see by the screenshot that there's nothing listed in the
    taskbar.

    The screenshot is here:

    http://www.aerotive.com/~hyperkine/firefox screenshot.jpg

    I have to do an End Process Tree to be able to start Firefox again.
    Sometime a restart is necessary. End Task never works, for whatever
    reason.

    Ryan Meier, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Ryan Meier

    Ryan Meier Guest

    Also, the memory usage shwon there is a bit better (meaning less) than
    usual. That's about what it uses with one fairly graphics-heavy tab,
    and one text-heavy tab. That sounds like too much memory usage to me,
    but I'm not completely sure.

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:48:30 GMT, Ryan Meier <>
    wrote:

    >Here's another Firefox phenomenon I forgot to list. Occasionally
    >after I exit Firefox, it will stay loaded (look at Task Manager in the
    >screenshot) but refuse to open any new windows again. Again,
    >you can see by the screenshot that there's nothing listed in the
    >taskbar.
    >
    >The screenshot is here:
    >
    >http://www.aerotive.com/~hyperkine/firefox screenshot.jpg
    >
    >I have to do an End Process Tree to be able to start Firefox again.
    >Sometime a restart is necessary. End Task never works, for whatever
    >reason.

    snip

    Ryan Meier, Jun 7, 2005
  7. Ryan Meier

    Moz Champion Guest

    Ryan Meier wrote:
> [...]

    >>preference name:privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    >>preference value: 2
    >>
    >>This will prevent web sites from generating popups via your installed
    >>plugins, Shockwave Flash being the one most used for this purpose.
    >>
    >>If you dont want popups then why use show last pop up?
    >>
    >>The memory 'hit' of IE is built into the system. It actually uses more
    >>memory than Firefox, but you cant recover it easily.
    >>Firefox is just as fast (once it loads) as IE, if not faster. Again,
    >>since IE is built into your system, it pre-loads itself everytime you
    >>start windows, Firefox has to start from scratch. There are extensions
    >>that allieviate this somewhat tho.
    >>
    >>If you are having problems with Firefox, than ask here for solutions.
    >>Give us the details of exactly what happens, and WHERE it happens, and
    >>any error messages or indications you see

    If you close all the windows in Firefox, thats not exiting the program,
    its simply closing all the windows <g>

    You dont have to restart, simply chose a bookmark and !voila! the
    Firefox window is back <g>
    If you want to exit Firefox, quit.

    Moz Champion, Jun 7, 2005
  8. Ryan Meier

    Moz Champion Guest

    Ryan Meier wrote:
> [...]

    >>The memory 'hit' of IE is built into the system. It actually uses more
    >>memory than Firefox, but you cant recover it easily.
    >>Firefox is just as fast (once it loads) as IE, if not faster. Again,
    >>since IE is built into your system, it pre-loads itself everytime you
    >>start windows, Firefox has to start from scratch. There are extensions
    >>that allieviate this somewhat tho.

    > Actually yes I forgot about this one, Firefox Preloader. That one's
    > solved.
    >

    >>If you are having problems with Firefox, than ask here for solutions.
    >>Give us the details of exactly what happens, and WHERE it happens, and
    >>any error messages or indications you see

    > I did ask. For the crashes and lockups, I will provide the log file
    > after it happens next. It happens on an unfortunately regular basis,
    > at least on my system, so it won't be long.

    Did you try this?
    http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm

    Again, if you want to see pop ups, why block them at all, turn the pop
    up blocker off.

    Log files are not needed. What is required is
    What you were doing when the problem occurred, what site you were on,
    what error messages you saw (if any) or what the status bar said at the
    time. This is a user to user type forum. Log files are useful for
    programmers, less useful to users.

    Moz Champion, Jun 7, 2005
  9. Ryan Meier

    Ryan Meier Guest

    Maybe I didn't make myself clear...

    ....when my system has firefox.exe listed in Task Manager, but it's not
    in the taskbar, I have to do an End Process Tree on firefox.exe to be
    able to open any Firefox windows at all. End Task does not work.

    Sometimes, I have to restart my system to get Firefox working again.

    Not sure how else I can explain it...

    Ryan Meier, Jun 7, 2005
  10. Ryan Meier

    P Pron Guest

    Ryan Meier wrote:
    || I thought that with Firefox there would, finally, be a browser as
    || good or better than IE. But I just have too many problems, and the
    || fixes only half/sorta/don't work.
    || Problems at the moment:
    || --I can't get ActiveX to work, even with the workarounds available.
    || I know a lot of Firefox fans don't like ActiveX, but at the moment I
    || have to have it.
    || --Firefox doesn't stop some popunders, even with adjustments
    || --the "show me that last popup" feature is completely broken for me
    || --too much memory usage
    || --too slow (at least on my system, IE seems to to load and render
    || pages faster)
    || --random near-lockups, lockups and crashes of Firefox
    || If anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for any of these I will try
    || it. I'm running FF on Windows XP Pro.
    || Also, if anyone can suggest a browser add-on/skin with tabbed
    || browsing for IE that would be appreciated. Tabbed browsing and
    || the auto-RSS feed will be the features I miss most.

    I'm running XP Home, not Pro, but I've had very few problems. The only thing
    that's crashed FF so far is when I highlight a word or phrase in a website
    and try to drag it to the search box, instead of copying and pasting; it
    *really* doesn't like that and apologises for having to close...

    I've recently been trying Maxthon, which calls itself a browser, but
    actually appears to be an add-on for IE. It supports FF-style tabbed
    browsing very nicely, for those sites that don't like FF like my office
    intranet, and a couple of secure sites that I have to use.

    paul

    P Pron, Jun 8, 2005
  11. Ryan Meier

    Ryan Meier Guest

    Thanks, I will check into Maxthon.

    Ryan Meier, Jun 8, 2005
  12. On 2005-06-07, Ryan Meier <> wrote:

    > I thought that with Firefox there would, finally, be a browser as good
    > or better than IE. But I just have too many problems, and the fixes
    > only half/sorta/don't work.
    >
    > Problems at the moment:
    >
    > --I can't get ActiveX to work, even with the workarounds available. I
    > know a lot of Firefox fans don't like ActiveX, but at the moment I
    > have to have it.
    >
    > --Firefox doesn't stop some popunders, even with adjustments
    >
    > --the "show me that last popup" feature is completely broken for me
    >
    > --too much memory usage
    >
    > --too slow (at least on my system, IE seems to to load and render
    > pages faster)
    >
    > --random near-lockups, lockups and crashes of Firefox
    >
    > If anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for any of these I will try
    > it. I'm running FF on Windows XP Pro.

    Well, I don't have any of those problems (except Active-X) on linux...

    :)

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jun 8, 2005
  13. On 2005-06-07, Ryan Meier <> wrote:

    > There are two gaming sites that I use (one a pay one) that require
    > ActiveX.

    Ouch. I'd be *VERY* leary of exposing financial information (credit card
    numbers, whatever) to a site using ActiveX. That's just asking for
    trouble...

    > The other reason is that a program that I use for my job requires it.
    > Glaring security hole or not, I have to have it for that program.

    So just use IE for that, FireFox for everything else. And try to find out
    why such an important program needs to use such an insecure framework.
    What's *YOUR* liability if something is compromised while using the
    ActiveX thing? Might be good to check out, and suggest indemnification
    until/unless it is changed to something safer.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jun 8, 2005
  14. Ryan Meier

    Ryan Meier Guest

    Ha! I have a secondary Linux system, and FF on it is better than
    Windows. I still get the popunder and show last popup problems
    though.

    The speed issue is there, but that's because that secondary system
    is a lot slower. The lockups, near lockups, and crashes of Firefox
    don't happen on my linux installation though.

    But, for everyday stuff (and my job), I prefer Windows.

    Ryan Meier, Jun 8, 2005
  15. Ryan Meier

    Moz Champion Guest

    Ryan Meier wrote:
    > Maybe I didn't make myself clear...
    >
    > ...when my system has firefox.exe listed in Task Manager, but it's not
    > in the taskbar, I have to do an End Process Tree on firefox.exe to be
    > able to open any Firefox windows at all. End Task does not work.
    >
    > Sometimes, I have to restart my system to get Firefox working again.
    >
    > Not sure how else I can explain it...
    >
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:34:20 GMT, Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>If you close all the windows in Firefox, thats not exiting the program,
    >>its simply closing all the windows <g>
    >>
    >>You dont have to restart, simply chose a bookmark and !voila! the
    >>Firefox window is back <g>
    >>If you want to exit Firefox, quit.

    Ever heard of Quit?

    Moz Champion, Jun 8, 2005
  16. Ryan Meier

    Ryan Meier Guest

    No. Not related to Firefox.

    I've heard of File/Exit, but that makes no difference.

    Ryan Meier, Jun 8, 2005
  17. Ryan Meier

    Guest

    , Jun 10, 2005
  18. Ryan Meier

    Adrian Guest

    Ryan Meier wrote:

    > I thought that with Firefox there would, finally, be a browser as good
    > or better than IE. But I just have too many problems, and the fixes
    > only half/sorta/don't work.
    >
    > Problems at the moment:
    >
    > --I can't get ActiveX to work, even with the workarounds available. I
    > know a lot of Firefox fans don't like ActiveX, but at the moment I
    > have to have it.
    >
    > --Firefox doesn't stop some popunders, even with adjustments
    >
    > --the "show me that last popup" feature is completely broken for me
    >
    > --too much memory usage
    >
    > --too slow (at least on my system, IE seems to to load and render
    > pages faster)
    >
    > --random near-lockups, lockups and crashes of Firefox
    >
    > If anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for any of these I will try
    > it. I'm running FF on Windows XP Pro.

    Don't know if this will help, but I was having all sorts of problems
    with the Mozilla Suite, and some one here suggested using MozBack to
    back up all my email, settings etc. then deleting my profile, creating a
    new one and restoring everything to the new one. This fixed all the
    problems in one go.

    Adrian, Jun 14, 2005
  19. Ryan Meier

    Stubby Guest

    Adrian wrote:

    > Ryan Meier wrote:
    >
    >> I thought that with Firefox there would, finally, be a browser as good
    >> or better than IE. But I just have too many problems, and the fixes
    >> only half/sorta/don't work.
    >>
    >> Problems at the moment:
    >>
    >> --I can't get ActiveX to work, even with the workarounds available. I
    >> know a lot of Firefox fans don't like ActiveX, but at the moment I
    >> have to have it.
    >>
    >> --Firefox doesn't stop some popunders, even with adjustments
    >>
    >> --the "show me that last popup" feature is completely broken for me
    >>
    >> --too much memory usage
    >>
    >> --too slow (at least on my system, IE seems to to load and render
    >> pages faster)
    >>
    >> --random near-lockups, lockups and crashes of Firefox
    >>
    >> If anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for any of these I will try
    >> it. I'm running FF on Windows XP Pro.
    >>

    > Don't know if this will help, but I was having all sorts of problems
    > with the Mozilla Suite, and some one here suggested using MozBack to
    > back up all my email, settings etc. then deleting my profile, creating a
    > new one and restoring everything to the new one. This fixed all the
    > problems in one go.

    I used the big hammer, also. It worked.

    Stubby, Jun 14, 2005
  20. Ryan Meier

    Adrian Guest

    Stubby wrote:

    > Adrian wrote:
    >
    >> Ryan Meier wrote:
    >>
    >>> I thought that with Firefox there would, finally, be a browser as good
    >>> or better than IE. But I just have too many problems, and the fixes
    >>> only half/sorta/don't work.
    >>>
    >>> Problems at the moment:
    >>>
    >>> --I can't get ActiveX to work, even with the workarounds available. I
    >>> know a lot of Firefox fans don't like ActiveX, but at the moment I
    >>> have to have it.
    >>>
    >>> --Firefox doesn't stop some popunders, even with adjustments
    >>>
    >>> --the "show me that last popup" feature is completely broken for me
    >>>
    >>> --too much memory usage
    >>>
    >>> --too slow (at least on my system, IE seems to to load and render
    >>> pages faster)
    >>>
    >>> --random near-lockups, lockups and crashes of Firefox
    >>>
    >>> If anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for any of these I will try
    >>> it. I'm running FF on Windows XP Pro.
    >>>

    >> Don't know if this will help, but I was having all sorts of problems
    >> with the Mozilla Suite, and some one here suggested using MozBack to
    >> back up all my email, settings etc. then deleting my profile, creating
    >> a new one and restoring everything to the new one. This fixed all the
    >> problems in one go.

    > I used the big hammer, also. It worked.

    Use less force, get a bigger hammer :)

    Adrian, Jun 15, 2005