Reload Deskstar firmware without recognising drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by David Gould, Mar 26, 2005.

  1. David Gould

    David Gould Guest

    My GXP180 sounds like the scrambled NV-RAM on this page:

    http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/ibm-deskstar-hard-disk-drive-data-loss.htm

    Unfortunately DataClinic quoted me £800 to fix it. They said that
    it's caused by a component failure and that the fix would only last
    until powering down.

    I'm not convinced but even then I can quite happily restore my own
    data if I could only upload the firmware.

    The Hitachi tech support have kindly sent me a copy of the firmware
    but have only provided me with the Drive Fitness Test program which
    will only upload it if it can recognise the drive.

    Unfortunately, neither my BIOS nor DFT have recognised the drive since
    the problem started.

    I haven't tried a second machine & I haven't tried setting the drive
    params manually in BIOS.

    FWIW, the problem started very suddenly whilst I was out of the room.
    The drive was the Secondary Master and somehow my Master Boot Record
    on the Primary Master also got scrambled. Running Win2k SP4. The GXP
    has serial #: G3C0A61G.

    A company called iDriveRepair want to charge $295 for trying to fix it
    remotely. It occurs to me that if I get a 2nd 180GXP, I can either
    fake out DFT by switching the IDE cable, or simply reap the working
    PCB.

    Comments or suggestions much appreciated.

    Dave, http://www.deep-trance.com
    Guaranteed life changes in Bristol, UK

    No2ID "more sinister" than government snooping - Baroness Gibson ;)
    http://www.no2id.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1417#1417
    David Gould, Mar 26, 2005

  2. David Gould

    MrGrumpy Guest

    I assume you wish to recover data that you failed to backup. That being the
    case youre going to have to pay a recovery co to retreive it.
    If you are fortunate enough to be able to boot up, with the drive as slave,
    you will be able to move data.
    The DFT app is freely available from Hitachi web site it can be used to
    recover a disk that is marginal, however in your case it would seem the
    failure is complete

    MrGrumpy, Mar 26, 2005

  3. David Gould

    David Gould Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:18:38 GMT, "MrGrumpy" <>
    wrote:

    >I assume you wish to recover data that you failed to backup. That being the
    >case youre going to have to pay a recovery co to retreive it.
    >If you are fortunate enough to be able to boot up, with the drive as slave,
    >you will be able to move data.
    >The DFT app is freely available from Hitachi web site it can be used to
    >recover a disk that is marginal, however in your case it would seem the
    >failure is complete

    A disk has electronic and mechanical components. It seems unlikely to
    me that both will fail simultaneously (unless one causes the other).

    In my case, it's obvious the PCB isn't working. It could even be as
    simple as scrambled firmware which could be remedied through uploading
    new firmware if someone wrote the software to do it.
    Therefore I don't understand why you think a PCB replacement won't be
    sufficient.

    http://www.spy.org.uk/spyblog/archives/2005/03/hous_of_lordss.html
    David Gould, Mar 27, 2005
  4. David Gould

    MrGrumpy Guest

    I have had several Deckstar disks fail, over the years,one in warranty -
    overheated - the others out of warranty.
    I now use a seperate disk for data backup and a 4gb offline storage
    facility - paranoid!
    http://www.ibackup.com/

    MrGrumpy, Mar 27, 2005
  5. David Gould

    David Gould Guest

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:12:17 GMT, "MrGrumpy" <>
    wrote:

    >I have had several Deckstar disks fail, over the years,one in warranty -
    >overheated - the others out of warranty.

    This is my second. It was a surprise to me that the GXP180 had only a
    1 year warranty as the Deathstars had a 3 year warranty. To be fair
    to IBM & Hitachi, the GXP120 and later seem to have a failure rate in
    line with other manufacturers.

    However, I read somewhere that the industry failure rate is at least 1
    in 7. I think this makes a weekly backup solution of important data a
    necessity.

    I also have a 7k250.

    >I now use a seperate disk for data backup and a 4gb offline storage
    >facility - paranoid!
    >http://www.ibackup.com/

    Sensible! Separate disks with compressed images of each other's
    important data was my solution. However, some important stuff somehow
    ended up on the same disk... <sigh>

    Bart's PE is also quite useful in case your Win2k/XP setup gets
    scrambled:
    http://www.reatogo.de/BartPE/FEATURES/BartPE XPE_Quick-Guide.htm

    David Gould, Mar 27, 2005