Relive the beauty of the recent total lunar eclipse

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Mar 20, 2007.

  1. From website of the Macclesfield Astronomical Society:

    http://www.maccastro.com/

    Please note that the "I" in the text below is /not/ me! For those in the
    US who didn't see the full eclipse, this is a most accurate record of the
    visual impression. During the period of totality, the moon looked more
    like a CGI image than a real moon.

    David

    'Relive the beauty of the recent total lunar eclipse! This movie was
    assembled from still images taken with a Nikon D50 digital SLR attached to
    a 80mm refractor. I selected similar exposures for the partial phases and
    varying ones for totality. This presents a wonderful array of colours,
    and demonstrates the passage of the Earth's shadow across the lunar
    surface. Enjoy ...'

    Movies play in Quicktime

    large movie 628Kb
    http://www.imagepalette.com/_mas/downloads/total_lunar_eclipse_040307_lrg.mov

    small movie 424Kb
    http://www.imagepalette.com/_mas/downloads/total_lunar_eclipse_040307_sml.mov

    David J Taylor, Mar 20, 2007

  2. David J Taylor

    M-M Guest

    M-M, Mar 20, 2007

  3. David J Taylor

    Ray Fischer Guest

    David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk> wrote:
    >From website of the Macclesfield Astronomical Society:
    >
    > http://www.maccastro.com/
    >
    >Please note that the "I" in the text below is /not/ me! For those in the
    >US who didn't see the full eclipse, this is a most accurate record of the
    >visual impression. During the period of totality, the moon looked more
    >like a CGI image than a real moon.

    Nice movie but not accurate unless the Earth and Moon were doing a
    little back-and-forth in orbit.

    >'Relive the beauty of the recent total lunar eclipse! This movie was
    >assembled from still images taken with a Nikon D50 digital SLR attached to
    >a 80mm refractor. I selected similar exposures for the partial phases and
    >varying ones for totality. This presents a wonderful array of colours,
    >and demonstrates the passage of the Earth's shadow across the lunar
    >surface. Enjoy ...'
    >
    >Movies play in Quicktime
    >
    >large movie 628Kb
    > http://www.imagepalette.com/_mas/downloads/total_lunar_eclipse_040307_lrg.mov
    >
    >small movie 424Kb
    > http://www.imagepalette.com/_mas/downloads/total_lunar_eclipse_040307_sml.mov

    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Mar 23, 2007
  4. Ray Fischer wrote:
    > David J Taylor
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk> wrote:
    >> From website of the Macclesfield Astronomical Society:
    >>
    >> http://www.maccastro.com/
    >>
    >> Please note that the "I" in the text below is /not/ me! For those
    >> in the
    >> US who didn't see the full eclipse, this is a most accurate record
    >> of the visual impression. During the period of totality, the moon
    >> looked more
    >> like a CGI image than a real moon.

    > Nice movie but not accurate unless the Earth and Moon were doing a
    > little back-and-forth in orbit.

    The "look" is completely accurate, though. I'm sure it's as accurate as
    the photographer's tripod and feed arrangements allowed.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 23, 2007