    Fred Guest

    Lota portables out there. Any reliable ones? Reasonably priced? With
    optional batteries?

    Fred, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Fred

    DVDfanatico Guest

    I own the Cyberhome CH-LDV 712. It has multiregion PAL/NTSC support and
    progressive scan out. You can get an extra battery at Target.com Check out
    www.cyberhome.com to see it and go to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks to get
    the multiregion hack.

    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Fred

    Nonymous Guest

    I just bought a CyberHome player a few weeks ago. Not the portable one, but
    the CH-DVD 300. Got it at Target, on sale for $34. I'm *extremely*
    impressed with it. I was just looking for a cheapy player for the bedroom
    but this thing is pretty full featured and outstanding quality. Target has
    the portable 712 for $300. Good bang for the buck I bet.

    Nonymous, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Fred

    luminos Guest

    Do some searches on cnet.com. You will find there is absolutely no such
    thing as a reliable portable DVD player.

    I have bought six or seven, none of which have lasted more than 9 months and
    had to be returned.

    luminos, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Fred

    Wade365 Guest

    << Do some searches on cnet.com. You will find there is absolutely no such
    thing as a reliable portable DVD player.

    I have bought six or seven, none of which have lasted more than 9 months and
    had to be returned.
    >><BR><BR>

    Then you're a klutz. My Panasonic LV-60 portable has been working fine in my
    home and on the road (cars, planes, buses, hotel rooms) for years now, it's the
    only DVD player I have so it gets a tremendous work-out.

    Wade365, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Fred

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 6/13/04 4:10 PM, in article ,
    "Wade365" <> wrote:

    > << Do some searches on cnet.com. You will find there is absolutely no such
    > thing as a reliable portable DVD player.
    >
    > I have bought six or seven, none of which have lasted more than 9 months and
    > had to be returned.
    >>> <BR><BR>

    > Then you're a klutz. My Panasonic LV-60 portable has been working fine in my
    > home and on the road (cars, planes, buses, hotel rooms) for years now, it's
    > the
    > only DVD player I have so it gets a tremendous work-out.

    ....or he's buying lower-end equipment. My only personal experience with a
    portable is the Initial 1731 that I bought initially (*ouch*) to entertain
    my toddler on a long trip. After the trip, I sort of adopted it - gadget
    head and movie nut that I am - and while it's only been just over a year,
    it's going strong. However, I've also been led to believe that I've been
    incredibly lucky in my purchases of off-brand DVD players (my home Apex is
    going on 3 years now of trouble-free service). The rate of failure among the
    Apex, Initial, Mintek, Shinsonic players is, as I understand it, much MUCH
    higher than among the Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, etc. players.

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Jun 13, 2004
  7. Fred

    luminos Guest

    ,
    > "Wade365" <> wrote:
    >
    > > << Do some searches on cnet.com. You will find there is absolutely no

    such
    > > thing as a reliable portable DVD player.
    > >
    > > I have bought six or seven, none of which have lasted more than 9 months

    and
    > > had to be returned.

    > > Then you're a klutz. My Panasonic LV-60 portable has been working fine

    in my
    > > home and on the road (cars, planes, buses, hotel rooms) for years now,

    it's
    > > the
    > > only DVD player I have so it gets a tremendous work-out.

    > ...or he's buying lower-end equipment. My only personal experience with a
    > portable is the Initial 1731 that I bought initially (*ouch*) to entertain
    > my toddler on a long trip. After the trip, I sort of adopted it - gadget
    > head and movie nut that I am - and while it's only been just over a year,
    > it's going strong. However, I've also been led to believe that I've been
    > incredibly lucky in my purchases of off-brand DVD players (my home Apex is
    > going on 3 years now of trouble-free service). The rate of failure among

    the
    > Apex, Initial, Mintek, Shinsonic players is, as I understand it, much MUCH
    > higher than among the Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, etc. players.
    >
    > Neal
    > --
    > "If morons could fly, it'd be pitch black." - Anonymous

    Well, I'm not a klutz (you disengenuous ignoramous), and most of my players
    have not been given any more than light service and not on the road. I also
    have had the best luck with the Initial 1731 which is working for me even
    today.

    I have had the following fail, most within a few months: Panasonic LV-50,
    Toshiba, RCA, Audiovox 1680, an earlier Audiovox, and a Sony.

    luminos, Jun 14, 2004
  8. Fred

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Radio Shack stores sometimes put their players on sale. I got mine for $300
    and RadioShack and then they refunded me $50 when it went on sale for $250.
    Close the screen when not in use so it doesn't get scratched, otherwise it's
    sturdy.

    I also have the small CHV-300 which is really nice and is under $50. Like all
    Cyberhome players, it has a region hack in case you like to buy discs from
    Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.fr or Amazon.de or Amazon.co.jp

    DVDfanatico, Jun 14, 2004
  9. Fred

    Wade365 Guest

    << he's buying lower-end equipment. >><BR><BR>

    Then he's a fool as well as a klutz.

    << I'm not a klutz (you disengenuous ignoramous) >><BR><BR>

    Put the dictionary down, it doesn't cover for your lack of COMMON SENSE.

    Wade365, Jun 14, 2004
  10. Fred

    luminos Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    > << he's buying lower-end equipment. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Then he's a fool as well as a klutz.
    >
    > << I'm not a klutz (you disengenuous ignoramous) >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Put the dictionary down, it doesn't cover for your lack of COMMON SENSE.

    I am certain you are even more irritating and stupid in person than your net
    persona. Thanks for disregarding my data.

    luminos, Jun 14, 2004
  11. "Fred" <> wrote in message news:<wCryc.25138$>...
    > Lota portables out there. Any reliable ones? Reasonably priced? With
    > optional batteries?

    I'm looking for a 8 or 10 inch one that works. For some reason I can't
    bring myself to buy a brand name that I don't know. Mintek, Initial,
    or even Poloroid (they make film don't they?) The 10 inch screens
    are very inpensive compared to the 8 inch ones. Even though it's for
    fathers day for ME pops more than $500 is to much.

    My sister and her old man swore about Apex brand but the two that
    they got for my family broke within a year. I want a brand name.

    Nick

    Nicolas The Great, Jun 15, 2004
  12. "luminos" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    > > << he's buying lower-end equipment. >><BR><BR>
    > >
    > > Then he's a fool as well as a klutz.
    > >
    > > << I'm not a klutz (you disengenuous ignoramous) >><BR><BR>
    > >
    > > Put the dictionary down, it doesn't cover for your lack of COMMON SENSE.

    > I am certain you are even more irritating and stupid in person than your net
    > persona. Thanks for disregarding my data.

    Jesus Christ I hate to read replies where half are attacks on others.
    And I'm guilty has hell...Heh-heh!

    Nick

    Nicolas The Great, Jun 15, 2004
  13. Fred

    Wade365 Guest

    << Put the dictionary down, it doesn't cover for your lack of COMMON SENSE.

    I am certain you are even more irritating and stupid in person than your net
    persona. Thanks for disregarding my data. >><BR><BR>

    Hmmm.

    You're the one who's making a sweeping statement about portables and calling a
    majority of them untrustworthy. You came out of the box like a bull in a china
    shop and gushed about all this-and-that which didn't work, and what headaches
    they've caused you, and I don't exactly see anyone chiming in with similar
    tales of woe... So my guess is you're in the minority because things seem to
    break on you more often than they do in the hands of others.

    Did you REALLY get lemon DVD players from ALL of those companies? Or could it
    be that after buying and returning at least three or more players, for whatever
    reason, you're harder than most on your electronics?

    Sorry for calling you a klutz, but your facts, as presented, seem to indicate
    that you are.

    NOW you may consider yourself "diregarded"... You and your precious data.

    Wade365, Jun 15, 2004
  14. Fred

    luminos Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    > << Put the dictionary down, it doesn't cover for your lack of COMMON

    SENSE.

    > I am certain you are even more irritating and stupid in person than your

    net
    > persona. Thanks for disregarding my data. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Hmmm.
    >
    > You're the one who's making a sweeping statement about portables and

    calling a
    > majority of them untrustworthy. You came out of the box like a bull in a

    china
    > shop and gushed about all this-and-that which didn't work, and what

    headaches
    > they've caused you, and I don't exactly see anyone chiming in with similar
    > tales of woe... So my guess is you're in the minority because things seem

    > break on you more often than they do in the hands of others.
    >
    > Did you REALLY get lemon DVD players from ALL of those companies?

    YES.

    >Or could it
    > be that after buying and returning at least three or more players, for

    whatever
    > reason, you're harder than most on your electronics?

    No.

    > Sorry for calling you a klutz, but your facts, as presented, seem to

    indicate
    > that you are.

    Idiot.

    luminos, Jun 15, 2004
  15. Fred

    luminos Guest

    You will not get a brand name 10 inch for $500 (I might suggest the Toshiba
    8.9 inch..but it is more than $500). Get the extended warranty!
    \

    luminos, Jun 15, 2004
  16. Fred

    luminos Guest

    I suggest you go to amazon.com and cnet.com and look at all reviews for all
    players (that have several reviews) and talley the satisfaction rate. I am
    not alone in my observations.

    luminos, Jun 15, 2004
  17. "luminos" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > You will not get a brand name 10 inch for $500 (I might suggest the Toshiba
    > 8.9 inch..but it is more than $500). Get the extended warranty!
    > \
    >
    > "Nicolas The Great" <> wrote in message
    > > "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > > > Lota portables out there. Any reliable ones? Reasonably priced? With
    > > > optional batteries?

    > > I'm looking for a 8 or 10 inch one that works. For some reason I can't
    > > bring myself to buy a brand name that I don't know. Mintek, Initial,
    > > or even Poloroid (they make film don't they?) The 10 inch screens
    > > are very inpensive compared to the 8 inch ones. Even though it's for
    > > fathers day for ME pops more than $500 is to much.
    > >
    > > My sister and her old man swore about Apex brand but the two that
    > > they got for my family broke within a year. I want a brand name.
    > >
    > > Nick

    Yeah I was just looking at that Toshiba. I want so bad to
    get a 10 inch because my dad has trouble seeing anything
    smaller. Father's day is around the corner and I got
    to make up my mind by tomorrow.

    By the way why is there an S-connector to some of these players?

    Nick

    Nicolas The Great, Jun 16, 2004
  18. "luminos" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > You will not get a brand name 10 inch for $500 (I might suggest the Toshiba
    > 8.9 inch..but it is more than $500). Get the extended warranty!
    > \
    >
    > "Nicolas The Great" <> wrote in message
    > > "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > > > Lota portables out there. Any reliable ones? Reasonably priced? With
    > > > optional batteries?

    > > I'm looking for a 8 or 10 inch one that works. For some reason I can't
    > > bring myself to buy a brand name that I don't know. Mintek, Initial,
    > > or even Poloroid (they make film don't they?) The 10 inch screens
    > > are very inpensive compared to the 8 inch ones. Even though it's for
    > > fathers day for ME pops more than $500 is to much.
    > >
    > > My sister and her old man swore about Apex brand but the two that
    > > they got for my family broke within a year. I want a brand name.
    > >
    > > Nick

    Ah what the hell I'm going to buy this one - A 9-inch Panasonic.
    I hope my dad likes it.

    http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3124460

    Nick

    Nicolas The Great, Jun 16, 2004
  19. Fred

    DVDfanatico Guest

    You can buy a region hack at
    http://www.dvdcodes.net for your Dad if he likes watching DVD's from
    www.amazon.uk or www.amazon.fr or www.amazon.de or www.amazon.jp

    They list hacks for players at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

    You can also find wroldwide DVD links at:
    http://www.worldwidedvdforums.com/links.php

    Wishing you all a happy Father's Day!

    DVDfanatico, Jun 16, 2004