    (mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?

    Thanks,
    Paul W.

    Paul W, Feb 15, 2007

  2. Paul W

    Lars Forslin Guest

    Maybe RAID level 1 would be right for you?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks
    /Lars

    Lars Forslin, Feb 15, 2007

  3. Paul W

    Bob Willard Guest

    Lars Forslin wrote:
    > Maybe RAID level 1 would be right for you?
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks
    > /Lars
    >
    > "Paul W" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    >>(mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >> Paul W.

    RAID1 only gives you some protection against failure of the physical HD,
    a device with a typical MTBF of roughly a hundred centuries. RAID1 gives
    no protection against failure of any other hardware component of a PC, or
    protection against failure of the OS or other software, or protection
    against malware, or protection against environmental problems (brownout,
    heatwave, fire, earthquake, etc.), or protection against human aggression
    (theft, sabotage, etc.), or protection against the most common cause of
    file loss -- fumble fingers.

    RAID1 is a great tool for professionals to deploy with servers. For SOHO
    PCs, RAID1 is IMHO mostly used for bragging rights.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard, Feb 15, 2007
  4. Paul W

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:11:54 +0100, "Lars Forslin"
    <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.se> wrote:

    >Maybe RAID level 1 would be right for you?
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks

    RAID isn't backup. Its primary utility is reliability of the primary
    system--when a disk fails the system stays up. If Junior decides to
    wipe the system or the cat pees in it or somebody breaks in and walks
    off with the computer you're not covered.

    Backup deals with those eventualities.

    One way to work is to set up a machine in a separate location that is
    synchronized regularly with the main machine. That doesn't cover you
    for a flood or for the house burning down but it does cover you for
    lesser disasters.

    Another is to put a removable drive caddy in your machine and use
    several hard disks as backup devices in a rotation system. Keep one
    offsite and you're covered for fire, but not necessarily for
    flood--keep it in a Pelican case and you're covered for that too if
    you can find it after.

    J. Clarke, Feb 15, 2007
  5. In article <>, Paul
    W <> wrote:

    > If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    > (mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?

    I'm a bit of a backup nut; over the years I've used tape, removable
    cartridge, CD, and DVD. My current recommended solution is an external
    HD with appropriate backup software. For example, I recently picked up
    a Seagate 300 GB external drive for $100. FireWire, if available on
    your computer, is a bit faster and more stable than USB 2.0.

    The backup software I use is Retrospect; it uses one backup set rather
    than the more usual primary/incremental system. It also keeps all
    chronological versions of a document. That is, if you edit a file
    repeatedly you can retrieve the version from your choice of dates.

    I leave my drive plugged in, but you don't have to. Attach/turn on the
    drive, run the Retrospect script, tell Windows to detach the drive, and
    turn it off. For a little more safety, move the external drive away
    from your computer (in case it explodes) Seriously, since your backup
    device is offline 99% of the time, it's pretty safe.

    Scott Schuckert, Feb 15, 2007
  6. >If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    >(mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?

    An external HD is your best bet.

    Keep all of your photos in one directory (with subdirectories, of
    course), and backup that directory to an external drive.

    To do it right, you need at least three external drives. You rotate
    through the drives as you backup, using a different one, say, each
    week. This way, the most you can lose is a week's worth of data, even
    if your computer crashes during a backup, destroying your ingternal HD
    and the external one. You'll still have a week-old backup, and, just
    in *case* somehow that doesn't work, you'll have a two-week backup,
    too.

    If one week is too much data to lose, you can backup everything every
    day, or, better, run incremental backups daily.

    -Joel

    Weekly Torah reading for any website: http://www.lashon.net/Parashah.html

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Feb 15, 2007
  7. Paul W

    Marvin Guest

    Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > In article <>, Paul
    > W <> wrote:
    >
    >> If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    >> (mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?

    > I'm a bit of a backup nut; over the years I've used tape, removable
    > cartridge, CD, and DVD. My current recommended solution is an external
    > HD with appropriate backup software. For example, I recently picked up
    > a Seagate 300 GB external drive for $100. FireWire, if available on
    > your computer, is a bit faster and more stable than USB 2.0.
    >
    > The backup software I use is Retrospect; it uses one backup set rather
    > than the more usual primary/incremental system. It also keeps all
    > chronological versions of a document. That is, if you edit a file
    > repeatedly you can retrieve the version from your choice of dates.
    >
    > I leave my drive plugged in, but you don't have to. Attach/turn on the
    > drive, run the Retrospect script, tell Windows to detach the drive, and
    > turn it off. For a little more safety, move the external drive away
    > from your computer (in case it explodes) Seriously, since your backup
    > device is offline 99% of the time, it's pretty safe.

    I recently bought a 160 GB external HD for $50 after rebate,
    and set it up to be used as backup for the two computers in
    our home network. For a start, I'm using the Smart Backup
    software from jam-software.com. I haven't used it long
    enough to rate it, but it does seem to work well.

    I plug it in when it is to be used, and then disconnect it
    using the Safely Remove Hardware utility in Win XP.

    Marvin, Feb 15, 2007
  8. Paul W

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Paul W wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    > (mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul W.

    I bought an external dvd burner when external hd's were still pricey, so
    I don't follow my own advice.
    Today, an external usb hd, a big one. Comodo have a freeware backup
    utility, maybe not the best but will do the job with option of full
    backup, differential and at scheduled intervals (they call it synchronized).
    If you are really paranoid you could get a second usb hd, if you wait
    for a sale they are ridiculously cheap.
    DVD still has it's uses, but you invariably get a burner with a new pc
    anyway.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Feb 15, 2007
  9. Paul W

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:31:38 -0800, Paul W wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    > (mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul W.

    I would suggest archiving to DVD as you go.

    ray, Feb 15, 2007
  10. Paul W

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On 15 Feb 2007 02:31:38 -0800
    "Paul W" <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    > (mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul W.

    Google for this group and look back through the archives.

    --
    Neil
    Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

    Neil Ellwood, Feb 15, 2007
    Paul W
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > Hello,
    >
    > If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    > (mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?

    Given that PORTABLE external HD and writable DVDs has expected
    lifetime of a couple of years at most, the only viable solution is a
    combination of a STATIONARY external RAID array (in a no-delete mode,
    if you know how to set it up), and of writing several copies of DVD IN
    ADDITION to RAID.

    Given that I have no RAID, I backup to 2 spindles of an in-computer
    HDs, and to 2-3 DVDs. And I MUST keep my fingers crossed...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 16, 2007
  12. In message <7I%Ah.8$>, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman
    <> writes
    >>If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    >>(mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?

    >An external HD is your best bet.

    I'd recommend two or more external HDs. Keep one off-site, at work or
    somewhere else geographically separate from where you have your
    computer. Swap them around after updating. I've read too many stories of
    people who were burgled and lost both their computer *and* their backup
    drives which were sitting next to the computer.

    Another option is on-line backups. Google mail can be used to do this
    for free, for a few Gb of data at least. Create an spare account and
    email your pictures to that account name. There are other free/paid-for
    services like 4share. Alternatively pay a few bucks a month for Web
    hosting and upload your images to the hosting company using FTP. Just
    don't enable the Web stuff and the data should be secure enough.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

    Robert Sneddon, Feb 16, 2007
  13. Paul W

    Mark Guest

    "Paul W" <> wrote in message
    > If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    > (mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?

    I am very obsessive about keeping multiple backups of pics, videos and
    mp3's, so I use this with multiple 750GB drives:
    http://www.cooldrives.com/sibayesandus.html
    .... this particular unit does both USB2.0 and eSATA - I added an eSATA
    card to speed up backups, it is about 4x faster than USB2.0

    In addition, to speed up some of the backups I use a sync program such
    as Synchromagic Pro http://www.gelosoft.com/adescr.html ; but, if
    using XP/Vista, Microsoft has the free SyncToy on their website.
    Synchromagic Pro will keep 1 or more "mirror image" backups of
    files/folders - I have it setup to auto-sync one pc with not only the
    eSATA backup drive, but 2 other wireless notebook pc's as well all at
    the same time.

    Mark, Feb 17, 2007
  14. Paul W

    Just D Guest

    "Mark"
    > I am very obsessive about keeping multiple backups of pics, videos and
    > mp3's, so I use this with multiple 750GB drives:
    > http://www.cooldrives.com/sibayesandus.html
    > ... this particular unit does both USB2.0 and eSATA - I added an eSATA
    > card to speed up backups, it is about 4x faster than USB2.0

    Wow! What's the maximum linear speed for reading/writing? Real speed for
    reading/writing on such a device? Just wondering to compare.

    > In addition, to speed up some of the backups I use a sync program such as
    > Synchromagic Pro http://www.gelosoft.com/adescr.html ; but, if

    I guess Acronis is better, the last versions are much more flexible than the
    previous ones. This system even doesn't care of the system installed on your
    computer since it can boot from its own CD or from the hidden partition, it
    can backup the whole hard drive, directory, make diff or incremental backup,
    etc. You can use it from Win right on the fly as well as from its own boot.
    I keep a hidden partition for Acronis to have a way to reboot my machine in
    case of emergency, but it's my personal wish, I could use a CD for the same
    purpose as well, but this solution is faster. It already helped me several
    times to roll back to the previous more robust status when M$ published the
    fix packs having even more bugs than the current system and the system
    became unstable or unusable.

    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 17, 2007
  15. Paul W

    Scott W Guest

    On Feb 16, 1:09 am, Ilya Zakharevich <> wrote:
    > Paul W
    > <>], who wrote in article <>:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    > > (mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?

    > Given that PORTABLE external HD and writable DVDs has expected
    > lifetime of a couple of years at most, the only viable solution is a
    > combination of a STATIONARY external RAID array (in a no-delete mode,
    > if you know how to set it up), and of writing several copies of DVD IN
    > ADDITION to RAID.

    Man if you are only getting a couple of years out of DVDs you must be
    doing something very wrong. I have yet to have a DVD fail and I have
    CDRs that I burned over 9 years ago and still no problems. I have a
    number of external hard drives none of which has failed, the oldest is
    coming up on 4 years old.

    Scott

    Scott W, Feb 17, 2007
    Scott W
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > Man if you are only getting a couple of years out of DVDs you must be
    > doing something very wrong. I have yet to have a DVD fail and I have
    > CDRs that I burned over 9 years ago and still no problems.

    I do not recall hearing about any problem with CDRs. DVDs are
    entirely different topic; the problems (with "reputed" media and
    burners) are very widespread. Out of hundreds I burned (Tayo Yugen,
    mostly) very large percentage failed.

    Time to time people who saw no problem whatsoever DO appear. They are
    in a minority; I saw no obvious correlation with the burner used.

    > I have a number of external hard drives none of which has failed,
    > the oldest is coming up on 4 years old.

    HDs are very sensitive to environment. Your good experience with DVDs
    is most probably related to "good luck" (e.g., a burner which is
    out-of-spec in the "good" direction ;-). A good experience with HDs
    is most probably attributable to your good care and good supply of
    electricity. The question is whether you want TO RELY on your hand
    never wavering, no lightning nearby, etc... If you want to have extra
    leeway, then you need high-RAID.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 17, 2007
  17. Paul W

    John Turco Guest

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > Paul W
    > <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > If I need to store 100s of GBs of photos and I need duplicate backup
    > > (mirrored), what would be the most reliable home backup solution?

    > Given that PORTABLE external HD and writable DVDs has expected
    > lifetime of a couple of years at most, the only viable solution is a
    > combination of a STATIONARY external RAID array (in a no-delete mode,
    > if you know how to set it up), and of writing several copies of DVD IN
    > ADDITION to RAID.
    >
    > Given that I have no RAID, I backup to 2 spindles of an in-computer
    > HDs, and to 2-3 DVDs. And I MUST keep my fingers crossed...
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Ilya

    Hello, Ilya:

    "Given that PORTABLE external HD and writable DVDs has expected lifetime
    of a couple of years at most..." -- what is your source of such obvious
    misinformation?

    Also, if you don't mind, please refrain from sending me a "complimentary
    Cc of this posting." :-J

    Thank you.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>