Reliabilty of Voip for business line

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by NewsAcc, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. NewsAcc

    NewsAcc Guest

    I have used sipgate for the last week and initially thought about using it
    as my business line (typically 3 calls a day in/out). However, I have REAL
    concerns about the reliabilty of the sipgate service. I must say, every
    day that I have used it so far there has been an issue with the service. I
    have tried to isolate the problem, hoping it was my softphone software, but
    it appears that my 'direct dial' often cannot be called (indicating a
    sipgate network/PSTN issue). This really concerns me and I am within two
    minds weather or not to use it for my new business. The worst thing is that
    when there is a problem, and someone tries to call the direct dial number, I
    receive the 'Service not available' message which is a major problem (my
    potential customers will simply try and call someone else). I think sipgate
    have been going for about a year in the UK, so this is dissapointing that
    the uptime isnt great. I dont mind the odd 15 min outage at 10pm every week
    to update stuff, but the problems I have seen seem to be during the day for
    2-3 mins at a time.

    How do other VOIP providers compare in terms of reliabilty ? I would like
    to try Skype, but am concerned about its propriatory network connection (I
    quite fancy the idea of using different softphones and ATA hardware etc).
    But if Skype had incredible uptime (and eventually offer regional incoming
    numbers) then it would surely be the way to go.

    Thanks in advance.

    NewsAcc, Jun 24, 2005

  2. On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:18:33 GMT, "NewsAcc" <>
    wrote:

    >How do other VOIP providers compare in terms of reliabilty ?

    I would take the fact that this newsgroup is full of "Sipgate down ?"
    postings and threads as an indication that you have started at the
    bottom of the pile - so working upwards should be easy.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !

    Phil Thompson, Jun 24, 2005

  3. NewsAcc

    r_mervart Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:18:33 GMT, "NewsAcc" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >How do other VOIP providers compare in terms of reliabilty ?

    > I would take the fact that this newsgroup is full of "Sipgate down ?"
    > postings and threads as an indication that you have started at the
    > bottom of the pile - so working upwards should be easy.

    Which is the next step up in your opinion?
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jun 24, 2005
  4. NewsAcc

    NewsAcc Guest

    Its a shame, because as far as I know, Sipgate is the only company to offer
    a regional number. If another provider could do this I would certainly give
    them a try (vonage do it - albeit not as regional as I would like ! - but I
    cant justify the £10 per month's worth of calls).

    NewsAcc, Jun 24, 2005
  5. NewsAcc

    Ian Guest

    "NewsAcc" <> wrote in message
    > Its a shame, because as far as I know, Sipgate is the only company to

    offer
    > a regional number. If another provider could do this I would certainly

    give
    > them a try (vonage do it - albeit not as regional as I would like ! - but

    > cant justify the £10 per month's worth of calls).

    All commercial voip suppliers will provide a UK geographic number.
    They wont be free though. but you get what you pay for in this world.

    I have been using voip for nearl a year for all my in/out business calls
    (20+ per day)
    with no noticable down time from my supplier telappliant. But accept the
    fact that when you pay peanuts you get Monkeys.

    Ian

    Ian, Jun 24, 2005
  6. NewsAcc wrote:
    > Its a shame, because as far as I know, Sipgate is the only company to offer
    > a regional number. If another provider could do this I would certainly give
    > them a try (vonage do it - albeit not as regional as I would like ! - but I
    > cant justify the £10 per month's worth of calls).

    I think sipgate is the only free service which offers a regional number,
    but there are plenty of other business services (such as ours) which
    offer them, and don't suffer quality problems.

    If anyone wants a 3 month free trial, one can be had here:
    https://voip.gradwell.net/register/signup?newcustomer=1&package=6

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jun 24, 2005
  7. NewsAcc

    JuliusP Guest

    What do you mean by regional number???

    JuliusP, Jun 24, 2005
  8. NewsAcc

    NewsAcc Guest

    > What do you mean by regional number???

    An incoming 'local to where you live number' instead of some weird 0870
    xxxxxx number which looks a bit bad on a business card if you ask me.

    NewsAcc, Jun 24, 2005
  9. NewsAcc

    Fred Guest

    Fred, Jun 24, 2005
  10. NewsAcc

    T. Guest

    NewsAcc wrote:
    > But if Skype had incredible uptime (and eventually offer regional incoming
    > numbers) then it would surely be the way to go.

    Skype is very good. Get a USB Skype phone, and it's much nicer to use.

    You can get UK numbers for 30 euros a year - area codes always increasing.

    T., Jun 24, 2005
  11. NewsAcc

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "T." <> wrote in message
    > NewsAcc wrote:
    >> But if Skype had incredible uptime (and eventually offer regional
    >> incoming numbers) then it would surely be the way to go.
    >>

    > Skype is very good. Get a USB Skype phone, and it's much nicer to use.

    It requires a PC to be on all the time.

    > You can get UK numbers for 30 euros a year - area codes always
    > increasing.

    If you like that sort of thing. I prefer pounds myself ;-)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 24, 2005
  12. NewsAcc

    JuliusP Guest

    Ah,

    Then there are other U.K. providers who will charge 1.99 upwards per
    month for a Geographic number

    I'd rather pay for a number and receive consistent service than get a
    free Geo number and crappy service

    I use gradwell and voiptalk, I have no complaints about their service

    JP

    JuliusP, Jun 24, 2005
  13. NewsAcc

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "JuliusP" <> wrote in message
    > Ah,
    >
    > Then there are other U.K. providers who will charge 1.99 upwards per
    > month for a Geographic number
    >
    > I'd rather pay for a number and receive consistent service than get a
    > free Geo number and crappy service

    I'd rather not pay a monthly charge, thanks.

    > I use gradwell and voiptalk, I have no complaints about their service

    Well I use Sipgate and have had no serious problems recently. Their
    service does what I need it to do.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 24, 2005
  14. NewsAcc

    JuliusP Guest

    Possibly, but they won't provide anyone outside the U.K. with a Geo
    number unless you register from a U.K. IP

    Gradwell/Voiptalk and others supply non-residents with Geo numbers

    I would give them a try just to see if all the "crap service" posts
    here are correct, but I don;t have a UK IP

    JuliusP, Jun 24, 2005
  15. NewsAcc

    NewsAcc Guest

    > Well I use Sipgate and have had no serious problems recently. Their
    > service does what I need it to do.

    This is interesting Ivor. How many times a day do you use it ? I have been
    using it every day (once an hour or so) for the last 4 days and its had at
    least 1 problem every day it seems (only for a few mins at a time, but it
    still occasionally claims that my free direct dial number is unavailable
    when called from a land line which is a MAJOR concern). Maybe if Sipgate is
    used just for outgoing calls, or to other SIP users only, then its probably
    100% reliable. Its a shame they cant seem to sort the voicemail out either
    (20% of the time it speaks in German !).

    NewsAcc, Jun 24, 2005
  16. NewsAcc

    GwG Guest

    "NewsAcc" <> wrote in message
    >> Well I use Sipgate and have had no serious problems recently. Their
    >> service does what I need it to do.

    > This is interesting Ivor. How many times a day do you use it ? I have
    > been using it every day (once an hour or so) for the last 4 days and its
    > had at least 1 problem every day it seems (only for a few mins at a time,
    > but it still occasionally claims that my free direct dial number is
    > unavailable when called from a land line which is a MAJOR concern). Maybe
    > if Sipgate is used just for outgoing calls, or to other SIP users only,
    > then its probably 100% reliable. Its a shame they cant seem to sort the
    > voicemail out either (20% of the time it speaks in German !).

    So, not only is Sipgate free, it also includes German language tuition ;-)

    GwG, Jun 24, 2005
  17. NewsAcc

    T. Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    >>Skype is very good. Get a USB Skype phone, and it's much nicer to use.

    > It requires a PC to be on all the time.

    That is a disadvantage, but some can live with that. I can. I only use
    for work purposes, and my PC is on then anyway.

    >>You can get UK numbers for 30 euros a year - area codes always
    >>increasing.

    > If you like that sort of thing. I prefer pounds myself ;-)

    It's a currency. You buy things with it. Don't see a problem.

    In fact, it makes it feel cheaper ;-)

    T., Jun 24, 2005
  18. NewsAcc

    Ian Guest

    <SNIP>
    > Well I use Sipgate and have had no serious problems recently. Their
    > service does what I need it to do.

    Ivor, We all know that you will defend sipgate to the end, But the OP
    specificly asked for a recomendation for a reliable Business class voip
    supplier.
    Now it wont matter how hard you try to argue otherwise Sipgate does not have
    a history of a reliable and stable service that could be called business
    class.
    We all accept that yes they are offering free numbers whereas with the
    others suppliers this costs, But when you cant give this number out and be
    sure it will work it not worth much. I cant give a customer a number and
    then say by the way not sure if it is working OK but try to get me on it
    anyway!!

    No sorry Ivor Sipgate is a domestic product, Doesnt matter what they do, the
    name is tainted, They may with rebranding stand a chance of launching a
    business class product.

    Ian

    Ian, Jun 24, 2005
  19. NewsAcc

    Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:59:07 GMT, "NewsAcc" <>
    wrote:

    > Its a shame they cant seem to sort the voicemail out either
    >(20% of the time it speaks in German !).

    I am of the opinion that they should have got the phone service
    working 100% or near has damn it before ever bringing voicemail on
    stream or even thinking about voicemail . What amazes me about Sipgate
    is the fact that they go blindly on introducing new items to the
    service without even attempting to correct faults in the basic
    service. How long has voicemail been in BETA now and the same problems
    are still occurring with it on a daily basis and it seems they are
    making no attempt to sort out the language problem with it . You can
    bet your life they are spending all their time working on some new
    addition to add to the system instead of correcting the existing
    faults in those already live .

    , Jun 24, 2005
  20. NewsAcc

    Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:06:12 GMT, "GwG"
    <> wrote:

    > So, not only is Sipgate free, it also includes German language tuition ;-)

    Oh for Gods sake how many more times Sipgate isn't FREE you have to
    pay for all calls to none Sipgate customers just has you have to with
    BT or any other telecom's company and also some equipment if you do
    not want a computer running 24/7 !!!! .

    , Jun 24, 2005