Relevant or out of date

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. Is MCSE relevant in 2006. Which is the best source for self paced study?
    =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=, Apr 26, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Is MCSE relevant in 2006

    It's 2006 already?? Damn, last I knew I was partying like it was 1999!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    Kline Sphere, Apr 26, 2006

  3. That reference really dates you ;)
    =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=, Apr 26, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    LnkWizard Guest

    "Questionable" <> wrote in message
    > That reference really dates you ;)

    Probably the only date he has had in a long time.

    Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

    http://www.mcngp.com
    LnkWizard, Apr 26, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >That reference really dates you ;)

    lol!

    Very true though ;-)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    Kline Sphere, Apr 26, 2006
  6. Dont feel bad I think I had that album! :0

    I am asking because my daughter is interested and the way things change it
    might be a waste of time for her.
    =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=, Apr 26, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    JaR Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?= <>
    wrote in news::

    > I am asking because my daughter is interested and the way things
    > change it might be a waste of time for her.

    I typed this reply several times, and just could not come up with a
    phrasing that didn't sound snarky, so here goes anyway.

    Honestly, if your daughter is interested enough, she should be capable of
    answering that question for herself. If she can't do the research and
    make an informed decision about the validity of MCSE, or any
    certifiction, for that matter, she probably either; a] lacks the interest
    required, or 2] lacks the skillset.

    And by skillset, I do not mean training.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP #22
    JaR, Apr 26, 2006
  8. OK let me phrase...

    She want to take it but do you feel it is a waste of my money? ;)
    =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=, Apr 26, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    JaR Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?= <>
    wrote in news::

    > She want to take it but do you feel it is a waste of my money? ;)

    OK, let me be blunt:

    For her - apparently - yes.

    Certification is intended to show competence in the tested area. It is
    not a training program, nor is it a substitute for experience. If she has
    the training, and/or experience then she would know that certification is
    probably relevant. If she does not, then take your money and send her to
    school. A degree is worth much more than any cert.

    JaR, Apr 26, 2006
  10. << While I was at work, Questionable spurted out:
    > OK let me phrase...
    >
    > She want to take it but do you feel it is a waste of my money? ;)

    Now that would all depend on your trust in her. Do *you* feel it would be a
    waste of your money? Do you find that she loses interest in things that may
    seem a little difficult? Or does she attack the difficulty with a plan and not
    give up until she has won?

    As for the validity of MCSE 2003; I would say it is, and will be, valid for a
    few years still. Most companies are just now converting from 2000 to 2003 and
    they are looking for qualified MCSE candidates.

    Her options are broad though. She could start working on her MCSE 2003 and when
    the time comes, upgrade to 2006 (or whatever the next level of MCSE be)...OR,
    she could wait for the next MCSE Exam set to come out before attempting to get
    qualified.

    My suggestion for her (you) is to start out with the MCDST (Microsoft Certified
    Desktop Support Technician). It would be cheaper on you, and it would giver her
    a chance to taste the benefits of being an MCP. Also, MCDST can be used as an
    elective into the MCSA/MCSE certification. If at that time she feels it is
    something she would like to stick with, then you've got the answer to your
    original question.

    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    MCNGP #00110011
    Bigus Di©kus, Apr 26, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    LRM Guest

    All gawked in amazement when: Questionable assaulted us with:
    > OK let me phrase...
    >
    > She want to take it but do you feel it is a waste of my money? ;)

    I agree with JaR's reply.
    I have two daughters and if I had to spend that kind of money on them I
    would prefer that they get a BA/BS of some kind. The trouble with certs is
    that they have a tendency to expire at which time the process must start all
    over again. With a degree, you don't have to worry about an expiration date.
    Good luck with this.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2
    LRM, Apr 27, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    Grep Guest

    Well said.

    Grep, Apr 27, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    Wayne Guest

    > Is MCSE relevant in 2006. Which is the best source for self paced study?

    It is relevant in 2006 if you are in the IT industry working with Microsoft
    products and you wish to formalise your knowledge. MCSE will help get you
    through the first HR filters for a job interview.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/beginner/default.asp

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz
    MCNGP Silver
    Wayne, Apr 27, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > I have two daughters

    That's it?

    feh...
    Jtyc, Apr 27, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    Frisbee® Guest

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    >> I have two daughters

    > That's it?
    >
    > feh...

    Slow-swimming sperm, eh?
    Frisbee®, Apr 27, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    LRM Guest

    All gawked in amazement when: Jtyc assaulted us with:
    >> I have two daughters

    > That's it?
    >

    > feh...

    Since I'm the one who gave birth to them I don't consider it a minor
    acheivement.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2
    LRM, Apr 27, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    Briscobar Guest

    LRM <> rambled:

    > Since I'm the one who gave birth to them I don't consider it a minor
    > acheivement.

    Well that's because you're a woman and blow EVERYTHING out of proportion...

    *runs*

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    www.mcngp.com is best for all new updates than
    Briscobar, Apr 27, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?UXVlc3Rpb25hYmxl?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > Well that's because you're a woman and blow EVERYTHING out of
    > proportion...
    > *runs*

    I would laugh at that but <whispers> the Internet has eyes.</whispers>

    *looks around anxiously*
    Jtyc, Apr 27, 2006