Release Schrader's The Exorcist: The Beginning

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Simon Howson, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Simon Howson

    Simon Howson Guest

    Hi,

    I have created a petition here:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html

    The petition is to get Time-Warner to release Paul Schrader's version of The
    Exorcist: The Beginning.

    The text of the petition is as follows:

    To: Time-Warner
    In August 2003, film director Mr Paul Schrader delivered a "Directors' Cut"
    of the film "The Exorcist: The Beginning" to film production company Morgan
    Creek. However, due to substantial creative differences, Mr Schrader's cut
    was summarily rejected, and a few months later led to his departure from the
    film.

    We the under signed call upon Time Warner, when releasing this film on DVD,
    to issue a two disc special edition, featuring both the theatrical release
    of the film, but also a second disc featuring Mr Schrader's original and
    unedited "Director's Cut".

    It would seem that the major disagreement between Mr Schrader, and Morgan
    Creek was that effectively two very different films were in mind during the
    production phase. Perhaps best defined as a horror film, compared to a
    psychological thriller. However thanks to DVD there is an opportunity to
    satisfy a broad range of fans of the original films, as well as admirers of
    Mr Schrader's work. For those persons interested in Mr Schrader's career,
    the opportunity to purchase his "Directors' Cut" would be a valuable
    compliment to the theatrical release of the film.

    Sincerely,

    The Undersigned

    http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html

    If you agree with the petition please sign it.

    Simon Howson
    Simon Howson, Jun 8, 2004

  2. It's being released in November!

    "Simon Howson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have created a petition here:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html
    >
    > The petition is to get Time-Warner to release Paul Schrader's version of

    The
    > Exorcist: The Beginning.
    >
    > The text of the petition is as follows:
    >
    > To: Time-Warner
    > In August 2003, film director Mr Paul Schrader delivered a "Directors'

    Cut"
    > of the film "The Exorcist: The Beginning" to film production company

    Morgan
    > Creek. However, due to substantial creative differences, Mr Schrader's cut
    > was summarily rejected, and a few months later led to his departure from

    the
    > film.
    >
    > We the under signed call upon Time Warner, when releasing this film on

    DVD,
    > to issue a two disc special edition, featuring both the theatrical release
    > of the film, but also a second disc featuring Mr Schrader's original and
    > unedited "Director's Cut".
    >
    > It would seem that the major disagreement between Mr Schrader, and Morgan
    > Creek was that effectively two very different films were in mind during

    the
    > production phase. Perhaps best defined as a horror film, compared to a
    > psychological thriller. However thanks to DVD there is an opportunity to
    > satisfy a broad range of fans of the original films, as well as admirers

    of
    > Mr Schrader's work. For those persons interested in Mr Schrader's career,
    > the opportunity to purchase his "Directors' Cut" would be a valuable
    > compliment to the theatrical release of the film.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > The Undersigned
    >
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html
    >
    > If you agree with the petition please sign it.
    >
    > Simon Howson

    ---
    Andrew Staker, Jun 9, 2004

  3. On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:12:36 +0930, "Andrew Staker"
    <> wrote:

    >It's being released in November!

    The Schrader version? Because it was pretty much completely shelved,
    and Ranny Harlin brought in and most of the film reshot - THAT version
    is certainly getting a release.
    John R Rybock, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Simon Howson

    Jer Guest

    Andrew Staker wrote:
    > It's being released in November!

    Holy cow that petition worked real quick!!

    > "Simon Howson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have created a petition here:
    >>http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html
    >>
    >>The petition is to get Time-Warner to release Paul Schrader's version of

    [....]

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
    Jer, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Jer wrote:

    > Andrew Staker wrote:
    >
    >> It's being released in November!

    > Holy cow that petition worked real quick!!

    Yeah--Worked so fast, the rumor that both versions would be on a 2-disk
    SE was announced...about a month or two before the petition. :)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jun 9, 2004
  6. Simon Howson

    Dead Zed Guest

    Any rumor of a DVD release is just that, a rumor. It's unlikely a major
    studio would make this kind of announcement until after the Harlin
    version gets it's theatrical release.

    Unless, of course, the Harlin version is going direct-to-dvd.
    Dead Zed, Jun 9, 2004
  7. Simon Howson

    jay Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:59:10 -0400, Dead Zed <>
    wrote:

    > Any rumor of a DVD release is just that, a rumor. It's
    > unlikely a major studio would make this kind of
    > announcement until after the Harlin version gets it's
    > theatrical release.
    >
    > Unless, of course, the Harlin version is going
    > direct-to-dvd.

    Certainly the fate all of Renny Harlin's movies earn.
    jay, Jun 9, 2004
  8. >
    >Certainly the fate all of Renny Harlin's movies earn.

    I don't think ANY of his films have gone directly-to-video
    Vlvetmorning98, Jun 11, 2004
  9. Simon Howson

    Wolf Guest

    > Unless, of course, the Harlin version is going direct-to-dvd.

    Anything by Harlin is direct-to-trashcan, actually. Good thing Schrader
    still intends to release the real Exorcist IV (0? :) on DVD...
    Wolf, Jun 25, 2004