relearning 6 addrs per min; mac address 02 01 00 00 00 00

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Danny, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. Danny

    Danny Guest

    I couldn't find a solution to my problem in this group so I am posting
    this in hopes that you may find it useful.

    Problem:

    I started getting these messages in my cisco 3500xl cluster logs every
    minute.

    %RTD-CLUSTER_MEMBER_7-1-ADDR_FLAP: FastEthernet0/9 relearning 6 addrs
    per min

    sh mac showed a mac address of 0201.0000.0000 coming from
    FastEthernet0/9 along with the real mac of the nic card bound to the ip
    address. The host was a Windows 2003 server running the network load
    balancing service. This service was generating the 02:01:00:00:00:00
    mac transmission.

    Solution:
    go to network connection properties and look for the service named
    network load balancing and uninstall it. This will cause the server to
    disconnect for a moment so beware if you are using a remote console or
    your users are logged on.

    ADDR_FLAP
    RTD-CLUSTER_MEMBER
    %RTD
    NLB
    Broadcom NetXtreme 5751 Gigabit Controller

    Danny, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Danny

    nazgulero Guest

    Hello,

    here is what the Cisco Error Message Decoder says:

    --> 1. %RTD-1-ADDR_FLAP [chars] relearning [dec] addrs per min
    Normally, MAC addresses are learned once on a port.Occasionally, when a
    switched network reconfigures, due to either manualor STP
    reconfiguration, addresses learned on one port are relearned on
    adifferent port. Howeve r, if there is a port anywhere in the switched
    domainthat is looped back to itself, addresses will jump back and forth
    betweenthe real port and the port that is in the path to the looped
    back port. Inthis message, [chars] is the interface, and [dec] is th e
    number of addressesbeing learnt.

    Recommended Action: Determine the real path (port) to the MAC address.
    Use the debug ethernet-controller addr command to see the alternate
    path-port on which the address is being learned.Go to the switch
    attached to that port. Note that the show cdp neighbors command is
    useful in determining the next switch. Repeat this procedureuntil the
    port is found that is receiving what it is transmitting, and removethat
    port from the network.--<

    I guess you could use the 'mac-address-table static' command and add
    the MAC address to the table, that way, it would not have to be
    relearned...

    Regards,

    Naz

    nazgulero, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Danny

    stephen Guest

    "nazgulero" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > here is what the Cisco Error Message Decoder says:
    >
    > --> 1. %RTD-1-ADDR_FLAP [chars] relearning [dec] addrs per min
    > Normally, MAC addresses are learned once on a port.Occasionally, when a
    > switched network reconfigures, due to either manualor STP
    > reconfiguration, addresses learned on one port are relearned on
    > adifferent port. Howeve r, if there is a port anywhere in the switched
    > domainthat is looped back to itself, addresses will jump back and forth
    > betweenthe real port and the port that is in the path to the looped
    > back port. Inthis message, [chars] is the interface, and [dec] is th e
    > number of addressesbeing learnt.
    >
    > Recommended Action: Determine the real path (port) to the MAC address.
    > Use the debug ethernet-controller addr command to see the alternate
    > path-port on which the address is being learned.Go to the switch
    > attached to that port. Note that the show cdp neighbors command is
    > useful in determining the next switch. Repeat this procedureuntil the
    > port is found that is receiving what it is transmitting, and removethat
    > port from the network.--<
    >
    > I guess you could use the 'mac-address-table static' command and add
    > the MAC address to the table, that way, it would not have to be
    > relearned...

    But - the address is "locally defined" - so windows load balancer is
    probably sending it out on multiple ports from the server, or from multiple
    servers in a cluster.

    Turning it off will fix the cisco issue, but probably break the application
    / server which cant be good.......

    The classic fix was to connect all the load balancer LAN connections to a
    hub and then put that onto the switch - but that woudl limit the aggregate
    thruput to 100 Mbps 1/2 duplex.

    in w2k you could run the load balancing software with different network
    setups - maybe the same is true here?

    what used to be possible was to use a multicast dest address for the load
    balancing and unique MACs from each server, or a multicast as a source
    address - but no idea how 2003 has "fixed" this.

    maybe your m$oft people can set up the server differently? - as it isnt
    going to work well like this.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Oct 25, 2005
  6. Danny

    David West Guest

    Danny wrote:
    > I couldn't find a solution to my problem in this group so I am posting
    > this in hopes that you may find it useful.

    Setting up an etherchannel to the server will fix this too, and work
    better than the M$ load balancing mechanism.

    David West, Oct 28, 2005