    thermostats and outdoor lighting. A remote status indication (whether
    the relay is open or closed) would be nice.

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Dec 11, 2007

  2. Beachcomber

    nemo_outis Guest

    (Beachcomber) wrote in news:475eddde.537734
    @news.verizon.net:

    > I have an always on PC at home with a Verizon FIOS Internet
    > connection. Often I check in from my laptop PC in remote locations
    > using VNC to see the screen and various ftp programs to transfer
    > files.
    >
    > What's the best way to control contact closure relays at home from my
    > remote locations? I don't think I'm looking for anything too complex
    > and geeky. The applications being controlled are things like
    > thermostats and outdoor lighting. A remote status indication (whether
    > the relay is open or closed) would be nice.
    >
    > Beachcomber

    X10

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Dec 11, 2007

  3. Beachcomber

    Todd H. Guest

    (Beachcomber) writes:

    > I have an always on PC at home with a Verizon FIOS Internet
    > connection. Often I check in from my laptop PC in remote locations
    > using VNC to see the screen and various ftp programs to transfer
    > files.
    >
    > What's the best way to control contact closure relays at home from my
    > remote locations? I don't think I'm looking for anything too complex
    > and geeky. The applications being controlled are things like
    > thermostats and outdoor lighting. A remote status indication (whether
    > the relay is open or closed) would be nice.

    This is off topic for this group, but X10 sells a bunch of home
    automation stuff like that. X10 is a company name as well as an
    over-powerline control protocol. smarthome.com is another purveyor of
    many such goodies.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_(industry_standard)

    If you search on home automation, I bet you'd find a great deal of
    such goodies. There are surely some home automation or x10 dedicated
    newsgroups out there too. comp.home.automation appears to be one.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Dec 11, 2007