    Any suggestions as to what I can do now?
    Would Format C: fix it? Though I would prefer not to have to do this!
    Thanks.

    OldNick, May 29, 2004

  2. OldNick wrote:

    > When attempting to reinstall XP Pro, using my startup disk. I had Deltreed
    > Windows.
    > I got a message saying UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    > Any suggestions as to what I can do now?
    > Would Format C: fix it? Though I would prefer not to have to do this!
    > Thanks.

    Set the BIOS to boot from CDROM first, put the XP CD in and boot up from
    that. Follow the prompts.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 29, 2004

  3. OldNick

    °Mike° Guest

    STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    Error Message When You Restart Your Computer
    or Upgrade to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 16:14:46 +1200, in
    <>
    OldNick scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 29, 2004
  4. OldNick

    OldNick Guest

    Thanks for the help but I am still no further ahead!
    I downloaded the article from Microsoft support and from the Recovery
    console I first ran chkdsk /r with no improvement and then used the fixboot
    command with no result.
    The Stop message I get is:- STOP: 0x000000ED etc and which I searched for in
    Microsoft support.Here is one of the articles:-
    Microsoft Windows XP - Stop 0x000000ED or UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    The kernel mode I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it
    failed. This error might also occur during an upgrade to Windows XP
    Professional on systems that use higher throughput ATA disks or controllers
    with incorrect cabling.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmd_stp_woft.a
    sp

    Can anyone help? The computer hardware has been in use for a couple of years
    and I have made no recent upgrades. A few weeks ago I downloaded and
    installed SP1. Since then I have been having minor problems, the latest with
    Outlook Express which regularly locked up. This was the reason I tried to re
    install it. Causing all this!
    How do I fix a Kernel problem?

    OldNick, May 30, 2004
  5. OldNick

    °Mike° Guest

    The thing that keeps bugging me is your comment
    in your first post: "I had Deltreed Windows".

    You can't do this in Windows XP, so I'm puzzled,
    and wondering if you have screwed up the boot
    process.

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 16:08:09 +1200, in
    <>
    OldNick scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 30, 2004
  6. OldNick

    OldNick Guest

    Mike, I should have explained more clearly.
    I used my Win98 Startup disk and entered 'deltree windows' at the C:\ prompt
    and deleted the complete windows folder. I have done this before and then
    reinstalled XP Pro. I don't want to do this as I will lose some data but if
    I did format the C:\ partition (the disk has two partitions) would this
    solve the problem? I definitely don't want to lose the data in the other
    partition.
    I think the boot process is screwed up. How do I fix it?

    OldNick, May 30, 2004
  7. OldNick

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, I suggest you format C and start from scratch.

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:35:32 +1200, in
    <>
    OldNick scrawled:

    >Mike, I should have explained more clearly.
    >I used my Win98 Startup disk and entered 'deltree windows' at the C:\ prompt
    >and deleted the complete windows folder. I have done this before and then
    >reinstalled XP Pro. I don't want to do this as I will lose some data but if
    >I did format the C:\ partition (the disk has two partitions) would this
    >solve the problem? I definitely don't want to lose the data in the other
    >partition.
    >I think the boot process is screwed up. How do I fix it?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 30, 2004
  8. OldNick

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "OldNick" <> wrote in message
    > Mike, I should have explained more clearly.
    > I used my Win98 Startup disk and entered 'deltree windows' at the C:\

    prompt
    > and deleted the complete windows folder. I have done this before and then
    > reinstalled XP Pro. I don't want to do this as I will lose some data but

    if
    > I did format the C:\ partition (the disk has two partitions) would this
    > solve the problem? I definitely don't want to lose the data in the other
    > partition.
    > I think the boot process is screwed up. How do I fix it?

    put your XP cd in and choose file transfer wizard to save your files.
    i'm not sure of the condition of your HD is after your failed
    re-installation attempt but if you manage to perform the file transfer, then
    you can perform a XP repair instead of re-installing. if your HD is
    partitioned, you can select to put the transfered file location on the
    non-system partition then you can perform a clean XP installation. use the
    file transfer wizard again to restore your files/data.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 30, 2004
  9. OldNick

    OldNick Guest

    I have had no luck at all!
    After trying everything else suggested I formatted Drive C: (format C: /s)
    using my Win98 Startup floppy disk and then started the installation of XP
    Pro from the CD. It loaded the files etc. but when it restarted the computer
    and started Windows I got that same Stop Error : 0x000000ED
    Why am I having this problem with a newly formatted drive??? I can't
    understand it!

    OldNick, May 31, 2004