    what do u think?

    milo..
    life is a series of crisis u get over one and get ready for the next..

    milo, Apr 27, 2004

  2. milo

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "milo" <> wrote in
    news::

    > g'day, i wanted to reinstall winows xp , the disk that came with my
    > computer is a
    > recovery floppy disk. , i have a packard bell pc 2.4 p4 512 mem etc
    >
    > any way it loads to a sertain point, and then asks for mastercd 1?
    > wtf is that?

    If you have purchased the computer from a store and it had XP already
    installed on it, then I would think you wouldn't have had to pay for it
    again. Perhaps you never registered XP with MS?

    If you have purchased the machine from the store or even the manufacture
    of the machine that preinstalled XP on it, you should be on the phone
    with them about this.

    > i have master back up cds 3 that i made, but when i put the first one
    > in it says the computer is
    > not configured properly or something eles simmilar. any ideas.?

    You may not be able to copy them and it may have invoked some encryption
    method that has made them unreadable.

    > also i was told its good to reinstall windows xp once a year to clean
    > up the system,

    Who told you that? You should go kick their natural butt for that.
    That's absolute BS and there is no need to reinstall any O/S once a year.

    You may want to secure the XP O/S from attack by *hardening* the O/S.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 27, 2004

  3. milo

    OnSite Guest

    Packard Bell is still building computers?

    OnSite, Apr 28, 2004
  4. milo

    Michael-NC Guest

    "OnSite" <> wrote in message
    > Packard Bell is still building computers?

    In the UK.

    Michael-NC, Apr 28, 2004
  5. milo

    Plato Guest

    OnSite wrote:

    > Packard Bell is still building computers?

    Good question. I dont believe so in the USA. OP maybe from .au tho. I
    see posts from Europe saying similiar.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 28, 2004
  6. milo

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > OnSite wrote:
    > >
    > > Packard Bell is still building computers?

    > Good question. I dont believe so in the USA. OP maybe from .au tho. I
    > see posts from Europe saying similiar.

    PB exited the US market years ago, due to increasingly marginalized market
    share (no one in the US wanted to buy those pieces of crap when Compaq, HP,
    Dell, Gateway and others started offering PCs in the sub $1000 category that
    PB used to have all to itself. NEC (parent company of PB) still sells
    computers under the PB brand name in many other countries of the world.

    Thor, Apr 28, 2004
  7. milo

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > > Packard Bell is still building computers?

    > > Good question. I dont believe so in the USA. OP maybe from .au tho. I
    > > see posts from Europe saying similiar.

    > PB exited the US market years ago, due to increasingly marginalized market
    > share (no one in the US wanted to buy those pieces of crap when Compaq, HP,
    > Dell, Gateway and others started offering PCs in the sub $1000 category that
    > PB used to have all to itself. NEC (parent company of PB) still sells
    > computers under the PB brand name in many other countries of the world.

    I wonder if the quality has improved.

    Plato, Apr 29, 2004
  8. milo

    HonestJohn Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    > > > Good question. I dont believe so in the USA. OP maybe from .au tho. I
    > > > see posts from Europe saying similiar.

    > > PB exited the US market years ago, due to increasingly marginalized

    market
    > > share (no one in the US wanted to buy those pieces of crap when Compaq,

    HP,
    > > Dell, Gateway and others started offering PCs in the sub $1000 category

    that
    > > PB used to have all to itself. NEC (parent company of PB) still sells
    > > computers under the PB brand name in many other countries of the world.

    > I wonder if the quality has improved.

    In a recent large UK survey of users, Apple and Dell were well in
    front...Packard Bell failed to impress their owners!

    HonestJohn, Apr 29, 2004
  9. milo

    Plato Guest

    HonestJohn wrote:

    > In a recent large UK survey of users, Apple and Dell were well in
    > front...Packard Bell failed to impress their owners!

    Same ol' shit in another package eh?

    Plato, Apr 29, 2004
  10. milo

    HonestJohn Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > HonestJohn wrote:
    > >
    > > In a recent large UK survey of users, Apple and Dell were well in
    > > front...Packard Bell failed to impress their owners!

    > Same ol' shit in another package eh?

    Too true. I think is was a euphemism for bottom of the pile or words to
    that effect as you rightly state.

    HonestJohn, Apr 30, 2004
  11. milo

    Plato Guest

    HonestJohn wrote:

    > > > In a recent large UK survey of users, Apple and Dell were well in
    > > > front...Packard Bell failed to impress their owners!

    > > Same ol' shit in another package eh?

    > Too true. I think is was a euphemism for bottom of the pile or words to
    > that effect as you rightly state.

    Still, the one thing I always liked about the old PBs is you could put
    just about any mix of 72 pin ram in, mismatched pairs also, and they
    would work with it. I sold _so_ much old/recycled ram this way. I miss
    that. I dont believe there was another brand that was so "memory"
    friendly. Friggen any combo would work. Also, they had fast motherboards
    if you installed win95/98 fresh without all the PB junk. Heck, I used to
    add pairs of 8s
    no charge just to make it run better when I redelivered it to the
    customer.

    Plato, Apr 30, 2004