Reinstalling XP and software

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Stephen Fisher, Jul 2, 2007.

  1. i have windows xp running on my PC for over 3 years now and over that time
    my wife and me have loaded more and more software, deleted software,
    upgraded and i believe the tinme has come to start afresh
    I currently have a SATA disc (160Gb - drive c) and am planning on buying
    another HD (320Gb-drive d).

    What i want to do is reload all the software on drive d (XP, MSOffice) and
    configure settings for software and then turn drive d to drive c

    In an ideal world i would do this over the course of a weekend and when my
    wife comes to use PC she would not notice difference. Unfortunatley i live
    in the real world where i need to look after the kids, have work
    commitements etc so it will probably take me a week to do this (ie night
    time).

    Is it possible to CHOOSE which hard drive to boot from when tuurning on PC.
    The reason for asking is that wife uses PC for her work (and works from
    home) so i would prefer not to think that all work has been done, go to work
    and then get a phone call stating a certain bit of software is not working
    correctly. (i do not want to try and explain over the phone how to take side
    of PC and swap SATA leads around.

    So back to original question how do i go about selecting what drive to boot
    from.

    Regards

    Steve

    Stephen Fisher, Jul 2, 2007

  2. Stephen Fisher

    PeeCee Guest

    "Stephen Fisher" <> wrote in message
    >i have windows xp running on my PC for over 3 years now and over that time
    >my wife and me have loaded more and more software, deleted software,
    >upgraded and i believe the tinme has come to start afresh
    > I currently have a SATA disc (160Gb - drive c) and am planning on buying
    > another HD (320Gb-drive d).
    >
    > What i want to do is reload all the software on drive d (XP, MSOffice) and
    > configure settings for software and then turn drive d to drive c
    >
    > In an ideal world i would do this over the course of a weekend and when my
    > wife comes to use PC she would not notice difference. Unfortunatley i live
    > in the real world where i need to look after the kids, have work
    > commitements etc so it will probably take me a week to do this (ie night
    > time).
    >
    > Is it possible to CHOOSE which hard drive to boot from when tuurning on
    > PC. The reason for asking is that wife uses PC for her work (and works
    > from home) so i would prefer not to think that all work has been done, go
    > to work and then get a phone call stating a certain bit of software is not
    > working correctly. (i do not want to try and explain over the phone how to
    > take side of PC and swap SATA leads around.
    >
    > So back to original question how do i go about selecting what drive to
    > boot from.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Steve

    Steve

    Have a look in your motherboard manual to see if the Bios will allow you to
    set the boot drive.

    That way you can set the old drive to boot after you have finished tinkering
    for the night and the mrs will be none the wiser.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 2, 2007

  3. Stephen Fisher

    GHalleck Guest

    Stephen Fisher wrote:

    > i have windows xp running on my PC for over 3 years now and over that time
    > my wife and me have loaded more and more software, deleted software,
    > upgraded and i believe the tinme has come to start afresh
    > I currently have a SATA disc (160Gb - drive c) and am planning on buying
    > another HD (320Gb-drive d).
    >
    > What i want to do is reload all the software on drive d (XP, MSOffice) and
    > configure settings for software and then turn drive d to drive c
    >
    > In an ideal world i would do this over the course of a weekend and when my
    > wife comes to use PC she would not notice difference. Unfortunatley i live
    > in the real world where i need to look after the kids, have work
    > commitements etc so it will probably take me a week to do this (ie night
    > time).
    >
    > Is it possible to CHOOSE which hard drive to boot from when tuurning on PC.
    > The reason for asking is that wife uses PC for her work (and works from
    > home) so i would prefer not to think that all work has been done, go to work
    > and then get a phone call stating a certain bit of software is not working
    > correctly. (i do not want to try and explain over the phone how to take side
    > of PC and swap SATA leads around.
    >
    > So back to original question how do i go about selecting what drive to boot
    > from.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Steve

    Unless there is something wrong with the wife's computer or if she
    has expressed the need to re-install the OS and applications, leave
    it alone. As you have admitted, you just don't have the time to do
    the entire job and proof it in one session. The world is not ideal
    and your situation is not entirely ideal and Murphy's Law will be
    invoked with some certainty. The disruption to your wife's activity
    is simply not worth it. Just a few words of advice from an old codger.

    GHalleck, Jul 2, 2007
  4. Stephen Fisher wrote:

    > What i want to do is reload all the software on drive d (XP, MSOffice) and
    > configure settings for software and then turn drive d to drive c

    ...but if you really do decide to reinstall the OS and all those
    applications, such as MS Office, put them in their default locations
    (C:), and store your **data** on another drive or partition. Y'know, all
    those .doc files, Excel files, pictures, movies, and so forth.

    Set up your email client to store the mail on the other drive as well.

    Boot from C:

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 2, 2007
  5. Stephen Fisher

    meerkat Guest

    >i have windows xp running on my PC for over 3 years now and over that time
    >my wife and me have loaded more and more software, deleted software,
    >upgraded and i believe the tinme has come to start afresh
    > I currently have a SATA disc (160Gb - drive c) and am planning on buying
    > another HD (320Gb-drive d).
    >
    > What i want to do is reload all the software on drive d (XP, MSOffice) and
    > configure settings for software and then turn drive d to drive c

    IF you install XP on drive D, then it will remain as drive D.
    You Cannot change the drive letter on the OS drive.

    meerkat, Jul 2, 2007