    I can only install it on my current configuration and when I switch out
    hardware (like hard drives) I can't reinstall Windows x64? Has anyone done
    a reinstall with the x64 cd after reconfiguring their system?

    =?Utf-8?B?ZXRyOWo=?=, Jul 27, 2005

  2. It is not a BIOS locked OEM so you can change hardware components, including
    the mobo. As to what happens when you change enough hardware to trigger
    another activation I cannot say for sure, but since a retail edition of x64
    is not available I would think that the most that will happen is that you
    will explain your situation on the phone to a rep and will probably be OK.
    I don't see MS getting stinky under the circumstances. Having said that, MS
    will have the final say if it come to that (it may not) so proceed at your
    own discretion.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Or more likely, changing out the motherboard (which I seem to do more and
    more often) might be a really massive change to the system.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZXRyOWo=?=, Jul 27, 2005
  4. It does not mean you can't change your system. But as always when you change
    your system, you may well trigger an activation event. And it's at least
    possible that the activation event may require a call to the activation
    center if it doesn't go through on the Internet.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  5. That's good to here that it isn't BIOS locked. Thanks for the input.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZXRyOWo=?=, Jul 27, 2005
  6. etr9j wrote:
    > I have XP Pro 32 bit retail and finally got my x64 CD. The CD says it's OEM.
    > I change out my system board, hard drives, memory, video card, or processor
    > every few months. Since the x64 CD says "OEM Software" does this mean that
    > I can only install it on my current configuration and when I switch out
    > hardware (like hard drives) I can't reinstall Windows x64? Has anyone done
    > a reinstall with the x64 cd after reconfiguring their system?

    According to the OEM EULA, an OEM license may not be transferred from
    one distinct PC to another PC. Nothing is said about prohibiting one
    from repairing or upgrading the PC on which an OEM license is installed.

    Now, some people believe that the motherboard is the key component
    that defines the "original computer," but the OEM EULA does not make any
    such distinction. Others have said that one could successfully argue
    that it's the PC's case that is the deciding component, as that is where
    one is instructed to affix the OEM CoA label w/Product Key. Again, the
    EULA does not specifically define any single component as the computer.
    Licensed Microsoft Systems Builders, who are allowed to distribute OEM
    licenses with computers they sell, are contractually obligated to
    "define" the computer as the motherboard, but this limitation/definition
    can't be applied to the end user until the EULA is re-written. This is
    the catch that has caught the OP: the computer manufacturer has to treat
    the repaired/upgraded computer as a different computer. Had the OP
    obtained the replacement motherboard from the original manufacturer,
    this issue wouldn't have arisen.

    Microsoft has, to date, been very careful _not_ publicly to define
    when an incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be the original
    computer. The closest I've ever seen a Microsoft employee come to this
    definition (in a public forum) is to tell the person making the inquiry
    to consult the PC's manufacturer. As the OEM license's support is
    solely the responsibility of said manufacturer, they should determine
    what sort of hardware changes to allow before the warranty and support
    agreements are voided. To paraphrase: An incrementally upgraded
    computer ceases to be the original computer, as pertains to the OEM
    EULA, only when the *OEM* says it's a different computer. If you've
    built the system yourself, and used a generic OEM CD, then _you_ are the
    "OEM," and _you_ get to decide when you'll no longer support your product.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 27, 2005
  7. The mobo contains most of the items used to calculate reactivation, so that
    may do it. The NIC counts three times more than the cpu or BIOS. Of the
    drives, only the system hard drive is counted. The graphics card is
    counted. Other cards, drives, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. make no
    difference. The ram is counted in banks of 64mb (regardless of the actual
    configuration of the memory sticks.) If you use the same ram configuration,
    NIC, and system drive you may not have to reactivate. It takes seven of ten
    change points to trigger.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005
  8. The three times are within a specific period of time.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?ZXRyOWo=?=

    Ted Guest

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  10. Hey, that's what the girls under my window are saying. Not being trained in
    legal and contractual matters, though, will that imply that you can have 37
    times if you are quick enough - or if you wait long enough???

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperlling, Jul 27, 2005
  11. The frequency of reactivation does not matter after 120 days since the last
    activation.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005