    recall how I did it.
    I have a Compaq presario, btw.

    Thanks!
    DóçVöñRô¢K, Dec 28, 2003

  2. DóçVöñRô¢K

    jtw Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:02:11 GMT, "DóçVöñRô¢K"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >How would I reinstall Win98se without a cd? I've done it before, but I can't
    >recall how I did it.
    >I have a Compaq presario, btw.
    >
    >Thanks!

    Where are the install files if you are using a CD?

    In the past I have booted with a floppy to install network drivers.
    Then format the drive and copy the win98 files across the network to
    the newly formated drive. Once the files are copied, run setup.
    Has worked great for me in the past.

    jtw

    --
    UsenetRocket.com
    http://www.UsenetRocket.com
    jtw, Dec 28, 2003

  3. DóçVöñRô¢K

    mcp6453 Guest

    DóçVöñRô¢K wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > How would I reinstall Win98se without a cd? I've done it before, but I can't
    > recall how I did it.
    > I have a Compaq presario, btw.
    >
    > Thanks!

    You must have access to CAB files. They are often at
    c:\windows\options\cabs or c:\win98. You will also need your program
    key, which you can get from the registry
    (HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\productkey) or with a
    utility that reads such information from the registry, such as AIDA32
    (http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32). If you save the code
    below as a VBS file, it will give you the info:

    ===== Begin VBS Script =====
    'Win9xProductKey.vbs - Get Product Key from Registry. Option to print.
    '©Bill James - - rev 18 Oct 1999
    pk =
    WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\productkey")
    pkf = fso.GetSpecialFolder(2) & "\pk.txt"
    Set f = fso.CreateTextFile(pkf,True)
    f.WriteLine(pk)
    f.Close
    AskPrt = MsgBox("Product Key is " & pk & vbcrlf & vbcrlf & "Do you want
    to print it?",36)
    If AskPrt = 6 Then WshShell.Run "notepad /p " & pkf,2,1
    fso.DeleteFile(pkf)
    ===== End VBS Script =====
    mcp6453, Dec 28, 2003
  4. DóçVöñRô¢K

    Guest Guest

    Look in the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder. You should see all the cab
    files and setup.exe that is used to get the reinstall going. Boot to a
    floppy, change to that directory and run setup.exe.

    Guest, Dec 28, 2003
  5. <Sarge> wrote in message news:...
    > Look in the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder. You should see all the cab
    > files and setup.exe that is used to get the reinstall going. Boot to a
    > floppy, change to that directory and run setup.exe.

    So what does it mean if I ran the setup.exe that was in the cabs folder,
    without booting to a floopy? It appeared to reinstall just by doing that.

    DóçVöñRô¢K, Dec 30, 2003