reinstalling windows xp x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by jhndvs, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. jhndvs

    jhndvs Guest

    im trying to repair xp x64 after a problem with acpitabl.dat using the
    recovery console. ive read up about it on the web, but all of the
    guides have instructions to select the windows version i want to
    repair. i.e.

    Microsoft Windows(R) Recovery Console

    The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery
    functionality.
    Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

    1: C:\WINDOWS

    Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto
    (To cancel, press ENTER)?

    but my recovery console doesn't have this, just:

    The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery
    functionality.
    Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

    C:\>

    so i don't know what to do. any help would be highly appreciated.

    --
    jhndvs
    jhndvs's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=14789

    Free Computer Help - http://forums.techarena.in | Index - http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php

    jhndvs, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Have you tried doing a repair upgrade instead? Boot from the XP Pro x64
    disk, accept the F8 License agreement, press Enter, setup should do a scan
    for existing installations of Windows on your hard disk and give you the
    option to repair the installation.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 14, 2006

  3. jhndvs

    jhndvs Guest

    no, that didn't work either. it gave me a list of partitions to which to
    install windows, and the larger one, where one would expect windows to
    be installed wasn't formatted correctly.

    jhndvs, Apr 15, 2006
  4. jhndvs

    jhndvs Guest

    jhndvs, Apr 16, 2006
  5. From what you are saying, it sounds as though the partition is gone.

    If 'console' presents you a list of only 'one' options, you can only type
    '1' - if that isn't the system you are trying to restore, again, that
    suggests the partition has died.

    What Andre is saying must work - if there is a partition to repair!!! Again.
    .. .

    ACPITABL may have started all this, but that does not seem to be your worry
    now.

    Remaining option seems to be a complete re-installation. Sorry. ( :0(

    Although, before taking this painfull step, if you was me you'd boot with a
    Linux CD and at least have a look at what it has to say about it.

    http://distrowatch.com/

    has a brand new partition oriented linux distro 'GParted' that comes as
    a 'live CD' (no need to install)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 16, 2006
  6. jhndvs

    jhndvs Guest

    ive got an ubuntu live cd, do u think that'll work? im i right in
    thinking that if i run ubuntu live, i can get documents etc. that were
    with windows? then i can just re install windows no probz.

    thanks

    jhndvs, Apr 16, 2006
  7. jhndvs

    jhndvs Guest

    i have an ubuntu live cd which has gparted with it so i ran the cd. do i
    make a new partition? then install windows on the new partition?

    ps. how to partitions work? if i install windows on a new partition,
    does the old windows installation appear as a drive letter in my
    computer or what?

    jhndvs, Apr 16, 2006
  8. I think you will have trouble getting anything off that partition, if it
    does not appear it is like it never existed. No, what I would suggest is to
    open a terminal window (like a windows command prompt) and have a look in
    the 'nix version of 'fdisk' - this is potentially dangerous, you can move
    around and look but do not exit the thing by way of acknowledging anything -
    you leave by typing 'q' (for quit) there's a small list of commands at the
    bottom.

    Take your time and get to know it and then you can see that Linux operates
    with digital signatures for everything, and NTFS volumes have their own
    signature too. (82 perhaps, I don't recall) You need to identify your
    partition and check that it has the proper signature and if not change it
    and re-boot, if all you have is empty unpartitioned space being listed, then
    you are out of luck you will not be able to determine where it used to start
    and end. There is a chance you can have it all back, but it may be a slim
    chance. Hauling things off a dammaged partition, you cannot do, it's all or
    nothing - and if it doesn't work, at least you'll have a session and a
    learning experience that might proove important at a later date.

    If you find yourself having trouble with fdisk, you should check the Linux
    HOWTO's, or check with a Ubuntu forum, I am not particularly informed about
    the contents of their 'live disk', but I am confident that it has what you
    need.

    Initially, I think it would make sense to fire up GParted and have a look at
    how things are represented on the system, but I do not believe you can do
    any of your real work in there, you need fdisk to do it.

    And, by the way - those digital signatures are universally applied, Windows
    use them too, they are just not made visible to the user.

    Good luck!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 16, 2006
  9. Hello,
    So when recovery console boots, it is looking at the boot.ini file to help
    locate the existing Windows installation.
    Using that, it looks for registry hives to determine whether these are
    valid Windows Installation or not.
    If it doesn't find any "valid" installations, it doesn't present the logon
    menu( it cannot find a valid registry to locate a administrator password)
    so it just drops to c:\ Windows.
    I would suggest running chkdsk to see if there is any disk corruption?
    also do a dir to see what directories are listed in the root of the C drive.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: jhndvs <>
    <Subject: Re: reinstalling windows xp x64
    <Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 15:34:52 +0530
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <
    anyone? thankyou

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 17, 2006
  10. jhndvs

    jhndvs Guest

    i tried the dir command in recovery console and i got a reply:

    Directory of C:\
    An error occured during directory enumeration

    then i tried chkdsk and i got the reply:

    CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume

    im totally stumped (don't even know what enumeration means) any final
    suggestions?

    thanks

    jhndvs, Apr 18, 2006
  11. Hello,
    The drive has problems obviously. We can't even list the files and
    directories in the root of the drive.
    THis explains why the logon was not presented. Recovery Console cannot
    read enough of the files to locate a Windows installation, thus locate and
    read from the registry.
    Did you allow chkdsk to attempt to fix the problems that it found? Did it
    fail?
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: jhndvs <>
    <Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:23:29 +0530
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 18, 2006
  12. At this point, I'd want to run a serious memory check, make sure all
    overclocking is turned off, and make sure that the drive(s) have sufficient
    cooling and that the cables are well seated and not defective. If all those
    are true, then toss the hard drive if it's still giving those kinds of
    errors.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64