Reinstalling programs after reinstalling Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rock Gibbons, Mar 25, 2007.

  1. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Just as I figured, this is getting tedious. Ninety percent of the time
    when I click on a program, it refuses to start saying "You don't have
    permission, or the path is incorrect. or something similar.

    Is there a program I can run that will go through my computer and find
    all of my programs and automatically link them back to Windows?

    Is there a simple adjustment in some file that will allow them to run?

    Or is reinstalling each one of them the only way to get them working
    again?

    ?????

    The computer is still working smooth as exlax. The hard disk light
    doesn't come on at all when the computer is idling. It is the best
    performance I have seen since dad bought the computer in 1999. :)

    So I guess half a loaf is better than none. I'm tired of messing with
    it today. MusicMatch jukebox won't work either. So there is nothing to
    listen to. I' guess I will just take matters in hand.

    See ya!
    Rock Gibbons, Mar 25, 2007

  2. Rock Gibbons

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rock Gibbons" <> wrote in message
    > Just as I figured, this is getting tedious. Ninety percent of the time
    > when I click on a program, it refuses to start saying "You don't have
    > permission, or the path is incorrect. or something similar.
    >
    > Is there a program I can run that will go through my computer and find
    > all of my programs and automatically link them back to Windows?
    >
    > Is there a simple adjustment in some file that will allow them to run?

    No.

    > Or is reinstalling each one of them the only way to get them working
    > again?

    Yes.

    Dumbass. Shoulda done things the smart way.
    WhzzKdd, Mar 25, 2007

  3. Rock Gibbons

    Maximum Dog9 Guest

    Rock *HEAD* Gibbons aka Pampers wrote:
    > Just as I figured, this is getting tedious. Ninety percent of the time
    > when I click on a program, it refuses to start saying "You don't have
    > permission, or the path is incorrect. or something similar.

    Look Rock the Hard Head, you fucked it up.

    > Is there a program I can run that will go through my computer and find
    > all of my programs and automatically link them back to Windows?

    No Rock the Hard Head

    > Is there a simple adjustment in some file that will allow them to run?

    No Rock the Hard Head

    > Or is reinstalling each one of them the only way to get them working
    > again?
    >
    > ?????

    Maybe and maybe not Rock the Hard Head.

    > The computer is still working smooth as exlax. The hard disk light
    > doesn't come on at all when the computer is idling. It is the best
    > performance I have seen since dad bought the computer in 1999. :)

    What's your daddy have to do with you not knowing what you're doing,
    Rock the Hard Head.

    > So I guess half a loaf is better than none. I'm tired of messing with
    > it today. MusicMatch jukebox won't work either. So there is nothing to
    > listen to. I' guess I will just take matters in hand.

    What you should have done Rock the Hard Head was wipe out the HDD
    (formatted it), reinstalled the O/S, and reinstalled all applications
    and moved on.

    But since you're Rock the Hard Head, you have lingered on this for the
    last few days.

    No wonder you're mama calls you stupid, Rock the Hard Head with a head
    as hard as a rock.
    Maximum Dog9, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Rock Gibbons

    John Holmes Guest

    Rock Gibbons "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Look here: www.hardcorejunky.net/links2.html

    --
    You pea-brained glob of wormy skunk waste.
    John Holmes, Mar 25, 2007
  5. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Well,

    I can exhale now. I just successfully backed up 230MB of stuff from
    "My Documents"

    So now all of my Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Filemaker 8.5, Access and
    other goodies are safe no matter what happens.

    I used a brand new music CD even though I can't write on it anymore.

    The next time I will use read write CD'S that will allow me to update
    the files periodically.

    Now I only have to reload Acronis True Image Home 10 and Act 2006

    I mistakenly deleted them while working under the other Windows
    installation. My file managers need to be reinstalled also.

    Other than that everything is hunky dory now! :)

    GOD answered my prayers this weekend. He made things right even when
    no earthlings could.

    So mote it be.

    RG

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 26, 2007
  6. Rock Gibbons

    olfart Guest

    > Well,
    >
    > I can exhale now. I just successfully backed up 230MB of stuff from
    > "My Documents"
    >
    > So now all of my Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Filemaker 8.5, Access and
    > other goodies are safe no matter what happens.
    >
    > I used a brand new music CD even though I can't write on it anymore.
    >
    > The next time I will use read write CD'S that will allow me to update
    > the files periodically.
    >
    > Now I only have to reload Acronis True Image Home 10 and Act 2006
    >
    > I mistakenly deleted them while working under the other Windows
    > installation. My file managers need to be reinstalled also.
    >
    > Other than that everything is hunky dory now! :)
    >
    > GOD answered my prayers this weekend. He made things right even when
    > no earthlings could.
    >
    > So mote it be.
    >
    > RG

    If you value your backups....do not....repeat DO NOT use RW CD's. They have
    a nasty habit of losing data over time. CDR's are dirt cheap. Also it's a
    good idea to have 2 different backups. In my case an external HD and CD/DVD.
    Or you can backup to a CD/DVD and then burn a copy.If one media gets damaged
    you still have the other. Store the CD's in a safe place away from the
    computer and update weekly/monthly.
    olfart, Mar 26, 2007
  7. Rock Gibbons

    Maximum Dog9 Guest

    Re: No one cares stop posting.

    <stop>
    Maximum Dog9, Mar 26, 2007
  8. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 23:08:01 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:

    > Well,
    >
    > I can exhale now. I just successfully backed up 230MB of stuff from
    > "My Documents"
    >
    > So now all of my Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Filemaker 8.5, Access and
    > other goodies are safe no matter what happens.
    >
    > I used a brand new music CD even though I can't write on it anymore.
    >
    > The next time I will use read write CD'S that will allow me to update
    > the files periodically.
    >
    > Now I only have to reload Acronis True Image Home 10 and Act 2006
    >
    > I mistakenly deleted them while working under the other Windows
    > installation. My file managers need to be reinstalled also.
    >
    > Other than that everything is hunky dory now! :)
    >
    > GOD answered my prayers this weekend. He made things right even when
    > no earthlings could.
    >
    > So mote it be.
    >
    > RG

    Don't you just love a happy ending? It wasn't any God mate- it was sheer
    dumb luck.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    Aardvark, Mar 26, 2007
  9. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 23:08:01 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:
    >
    >> Well,
    >>
    >> I can exhale now. I just successfully backed up 230MB of stuff from
    >> "My Documents"
    >>
    >> So now all of my Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Filemaker 8.5, Access and
    >> other goodies are safe no matter what happens.
    >>
    >> I used a brand new music CD even though I can't write on it anymore.
    >>
    >> The next time I will use read write CD'S that will allow me to update
    >> the files periodically.
    >>
    >> Now I only have to reload Acronis True Image Home 10 and Act 2006
    >>
    >> I mistakenly deleted them while working under the other Windows
    >> installation. My file managers need to be reinstalled also.
    >>
    >> Other than that everything is hunky dory now! :)
    >>
    >> GOD answered my prayers this weekend. He made things right even when
    >> no earthlings could.
    >>
    >> So mote it be.
    >>
    >> RG
    >>

    > Don't you just love a happy ending? It wasn't any God mate- it was sheer
    > dumb luck.

    I wonder if he`s waiting for me to say something %> ).
    meerkat, Mar 26, 2007
  10. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:58:49 +0000, meerkat wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 23:08:01 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well,
    >>>
    >>> I can exhale now. I just successfully backed up 230MB of stuff from
    >>> "My Documents"
    >>>
    >>> So now all of my Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Filemaker 8.5, Access and
    >>> other goodies are safe no matter what happens.
    >>>
    >>> I used a brand new music CD even though I can't write on it anymore.
    >>>
    >>> The next time I will use read write CD'S that will allow me to update
    >>> the files periodically.
    >>>
    >>> Now I only have to reload Acronis True Image Home 10 and Act 2006
    >>>
    >>> I mistakenly deleted them while working under the other Windows
    >>> installation. My file managers need to be reinstalled also.
    >>>
    >>> Other than that everything is hunky dory now! :)
    >>>
    >>> GOD answered my prayers this weekend. He made things right even when
    >>> no earthlings could.
    >>>
    >>> So mote it be.
    >>>
    >>> RG
    >>>

    >> Don't you just love a happy ending? It wasn't any God mate- it was sheer
    >> dumb luck.
    >>

    > I wonder if he`s waiting for me to say something %> ).

    I think you just did. Well, sorta. :)

    Aardvark, Mar 26, 2007
  11. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Thanks! :)

    The story hasn't ended yet sadly. :-((

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 26, 2007
  12. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Yes,

    I'm waiting for you to roll up your sleeves and get ready to get to
    work.

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 26, 2007
  13. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    I sat down to the computer about 90 minutes ago. It looked great.

    I called Webroot and asked them to send me links to two Spysweeper
    versions without the Antivirus. I had been thinking that maybe the
    newest version was bogging down my nine year old computer.

    Then I finished trying to uninstall Zone Alarm 7 suite. I am getting
    the unable to install the "True Vector" has not shut down message,
    even though it appeared to uninstall correctly through the control
    panel.

    Then I rebooted and after clicking on the old operating system, it
    went into "chkdsk" I tried pressing the keys to make it skip, but it
    ignored me.

    It found some crosslinked files and then went on to boot up.

    When I went to move the m ouse it was frozen.

    So I rebooted twice more and each time the mouse froze at the login
    screen.

    The third time it made it to the desktop, and I opened Goldmine. Then
    before I could type in any information the computer froze.

    So I booted up into the new installation and everything worked fine,
    but over 100 programs are missing. Including all the entries I made in
    my stamp collection and many other databases.

    So I'm back to where I was two days ago except that I do have the 1334
    files totaling 230mb backed up to a brand new music write one time
    CDROM.

    I'm going to try and run Registry Mechanic, or Spybot to see if they
    were correct this condition.

    If not, then it is back to the new, fast, clean, no programs XP
    installation.

    Himmel! If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.

    Stay tuned. This can be a very educational process for some of youns.

    RG

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 26, 2007
  14. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Well,

    Now I managed to boot into "Safe" mode on the old installation.
    Hopefully, I can start Registry Mechanic, Adaware, and Spybot to see
    if they will fix this problem.

    I was soooooooooooo happy to be back on the old installation working
    as it was supposed to do.

    Unfortunately, it lasted less than 24 hours.

    If these utilities don't fix it, if I don't get any wise counsel from
    anyone, I will just have to go backwards to the newest installation.

    I'm really not looking forward to that at all.

    For example, I have thousands of stamps catalogued. If I lose the
    program "Stamp Assistant Deluxe, or it fails to work properly despite
    my best efforts, then I lose over a years work of identifying these
    stamps.

    That's just one program. I have several hundred, some huge, and some
    small.

    Safe mode is still sitting on the driver screen after fifteen minutes?

    Some good advice that youse folks need to remember is this when giving
    advice to strangers:

    "You can lead a horse to water..., but you can't make it do a double
    back somersault and half gainer."

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 26, 2007
  15. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Well,

    Registry Mechanic just found 266 errors.

    Hopefully, one of those was the culprit.

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 26, 2007
  16. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Well,

    after running Adaware in safe mode for about 30 minutes, the computer
    went into sleep mode and wouldn't wake up.

    Then when I rebooted, it went into chkdsk without allowing me to press
    a key and bypass it. So it looks like eliminating 266 errors hasn't
    helped at all.

    It is forcing me to run chkdsk again. I don't want to do that. So I'm
    going to go into safe mode again and run spybot.

    It locked up on me after scrolling to "safe mode"

    That's the first time it has done that.

    OK, now I have the screen full of drivers. So it will go into safe
    mode in a half hour or so.

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 26, 2007
  17. Rock Gibbons

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Rock Gibbons wrote:
    > Well,
    >
    > after running Adaware in safe mode for about 30 minutes, the computer
    > went into sleep mode and wouldn't wake up.
    >
    > Then when I rebooted, it went into chkdsk without allowing me to press
    > a key and bypass it. So it looks like eliminating 266 errors hasn't
    > helped at all.
    >
    > It is forcing me to run chkdsk again. I don't want to do that. So I'm
    > going to go into safe mode again and run spybot.
    >
    > It locked up on me after scrolling to "safe mode"
    >
    > That's the first time it has done that.
    >
    > OK, now I have the screen full of drivers. So it will go into safe
    > mode in a half hour or so.
    > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:42:47 -0500, Rock Gibbons
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well,
    >>
    >> Registry Mechanic just found 266 errors.
    >>
    >> Hopefully, one of those was the culprit.
    >>

    >> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:07:14 -0500, Rock Gibbons
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I sat down to the computer about 90 minutes ago. It looked great.
    >>>
    >>> I called Webroot and asked them to send me links to two Spysweeper
    >>> versions without the Antivirus. I had been thinking that maybe the
    >>> newest version was bogging down my nine year old computer.
    >>>
    >>> Then I finished trying to uninstall Zone Alarm 7 suite. I am getting
    >>> the unable to install the "True Vector" has not shut down message,
    >>> even though it appeared to uninstall correctly through the control
    >>> panel.
    >>>
    >>> Then I rebooted and after clicking on the old operating system, it
    >>> went into "chkdsk" I tried pressing the keys to make it skip, but it
    >>> ignored me.
    >>>
    >>> It found some crosslinked files and then went on to boot up.
    >>>
    >>> When I went to move the m ouse it was frozen.
    >>>
    >>> So I rebooted twice more and each time the mouse froze at the login
    >>> screen.
    >>>
    >>> The third time it made it to the desktop, and I opened Goldmine. Then
    >>> before I could type in any information the computer froze.
    >>>
    >>> So I booted up into the new installation and everything worked fine,
    >>> but over 100 programs are missing. Including all the entries I made in
    >>> my stamp collection and many other databases.
    >>>
    >>> So I'm back to where I was two days ago except that I do have the 1334
    >>> files totaling 230mb backed up to a brand new music write one time
    >>> CDROM.
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to try and run Registry Mechanic, or Spybot to see if they
    >>> were correct this condition.
    >>>
    >>> If not, then it is back to the new, fast, clean, no programs XP
    >>> installation.
    >>>
    >>> Himmel! If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
    >>>
    >>> Stay tuned. This can be a very educational process for some of youns.
    >>>
    >>> RG

    Fucking hilarious...........
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 26, 2007
  18. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Never in my life have I seen so many stupid nattering nabobs of
    negativism!

    You are either part of the solution...or you are part of the problem

    If you don't know the answer to this situation, then shut the ****
    up!! I'm sick of you alls trifling, pitiful, sense of humor at
    someone else's misery.

    That's why this country is quickly going down the toilet. It is being
    run by a bunch of frigging, Satanic clowns pretty much like those of
    you who are trying to make funny here.

    You are always ducking issues, walking around the cesspools when in
    fact you are in it up to your damn chin!

    Need I say more? You infantile cretins are a bore? :)

    Spater

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 27, 2007
  19. Rock Gibbons wrote:
    > Never in my life have I seen so many stupid nattering nabobs of
    > negativism!

    Credit where it's due for that phrase: Vice President Spiro Agnew,
    Nixon's veep.

    > You are either part of the solution...or you are part of the problem

    That one probably goes back to Ghengis Khan or so. :)

    <waits for "It's a small world after all!">

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 27, 2007
  20. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 04:30:31 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Rock Gibbons wrote:
    >> Never in my life have I seen so many stupid nattering nabobs of
    >> negativism!

    > Credit where it's due for that phrase: Vice President Spiro Agnew,
    > Nixon's veep.
    >
    >> You are either part of the solution...or you are part of the problem

    > That one probably goes back to Ghengis Khan or so. :)
    >
    > <waits for "It's a small world after all!">

    "It's a small world after all, but I wouldn't want to paint it"

    Aardvark, Mar 27, 2007