    you can't see anything on the screen anymore.

    Okay, so I royally screwed something up. What can I do to at least see the
    monitor/screen again? Then I'll worry about the sizing issue later.

    CL B, Jan 25, 2008

  2. CL B

    Neil Green Guest

    "CL B" <> wrote in message
    news:kDcmj.2715$...
    >I reinstalled XP with no issues except that my
    >monitor setting was large,
    > not sure but 600x800 maybe. I have a 19" monitor
    > and usually have it set
    > small. Well it wouldn't let me slide the settings
    > smaller and I did some
    > setting change in the adapter and now you can see on
    > the monitor when it
    > first boots up (XP screen) but once MS loads and
    > when it is done booting up,
    > you can't see anything on the screen anymore.
    >
    > Okay, so I royally screwed something up. What can
    > I do to at least see the
    > monitor/screen again? Then I'll worry about the
    > sizing issue later.

    Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting up)
    and install the correct drivers for the video card.

    Neil Green, Jan 25, 2008

  3. CL B

    CL B Guest

    "Neil Green" <> wrote
    > Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting up)
    > and install the correct drivers for the video card.

    where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for the video card? I
    cannot be on the computer, see anything on the monitor, to go to any site to
    download any driver, etc.

    CL B, Jan 25, 2008
  4. CL B

    Paul Guest

    CL B wrote:
    > "Neil Green" <> wrote
    >> Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting up)
    >> and install the correct drivers for the video card.

    > where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for the video card? I
    > cannot be on the computer, see anything on the monitor, to go to any site to
    > download any driver, etc.

    How about "Safe Mode with Networking" ? You should be able to
    surf to a video card driver site that way. Can you see the
    screen here, after pressing F8 ?

    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/safemode.html

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 25, 2008
  5. CL B

    - Bobb - Guest

    "CL B" <> wrote in message

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote
    >> Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting up)
    >> and install the correct drivers for the video card.

    > where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for the video card? I
    > cannot be on the computer, see anything on the monitor, to go to any
    > site to
    > download any driver, etc.
    >

    > "where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for the video card? "

    F8 uses built in - basic video - so should work. Try it
    If not and the video card came with the system - go to THAT website -
    dell.com, hp.com etc.
    You're reading THIS somehow - from "THERE" - fetch your driver and save to
    ... a floppy/cd/usb drive.

    - Bobb -, Jan 25, 2008
  6. CL B

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jan 25, 5:01 am, "CL B" <> wrote:
    > "Neil Green" <> wrote
    >
    > > Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting up)
    > > and install the correct drivers for the video card.

    > where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for the video card? I
    > cannot be on the computer, see anything on the monitor, to go to any site to
    > download any driver, etc.

    So how are you typing this stuff? Give the name etc of graphics/vid
    card, m'board whatever or should we just guess??

    sandy58, Jan 25, 2008
  7. CL B

    Neil Green Guest

    "CL B" <> wrote in message

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote
    >> Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting
    >> up)
    >> and install the correct drivers for the video card.

    > where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for
    > the video card? I
    > cannot be on the computer, see anything on the
    > monitor, to go to any site to
    > download any driver, etc.

    How about using the same internet connection that
    you're using to post to usenet?

    Neil Green, Jan 25, 2008
  8. CL B

    CL B Guest

    Guys come on, I'm using a second computer here (since I can't see the screen
    on the other one). duh. I'm going to reinstall XP (again) and start over.
    At least I'll have a screen again, yet just very large print.

    CL B, Jan 26, 2008
  9. CL B

    - Bobb - Guest

    "CL B" <> wrote in message
    > Guys come on, I'm using a second computer here (since I can't see the
    > screen
    > on the other one). duh. I'm going to reinstall XP (again) and start
    > over.
    > At least I'll have a screen again, yet just very large print.

    WHY ??? What will change ??
    Download the software you need from the PC that you are on !
    If bad PC is onboard video, and a HP pc - go to HP.com
    If it is a NVIDIA card, then go to Nvidia.com
    etc. To see the screen in 600x800 AFTER XP boots.
    Start the PC and tap F8
    If you've never done it ...
    tap, tap , tap as windows starts to boot.
    (If you see XP logo - its too late - reboot.)
    Then choose SAFE Mode with networking from the menu.
    When you get to desktop,
    YOU WILL SEE/READ the SCREEN fine.

    Control panel - display - adapter.
    What type/model ? Go to THAT site and download the XP driver for that
    card.

    If built in video, go to manufacturer website etc as above.
    If PC HAS built in video and you are trying to use a CARD,
    then Enable video in BIOS to leave THAT 'in charge' ( ignore the video
    card)

    - Bobb -, Jan 26, 2008
  10. CL B

    CL B Guest

    - Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote
    > WHY ??? What will change ??

    Because when I restalled the XP I could see the screen, it was an error I
    made afterwards that made the screen not visable (f'd with the display
    settings). Anyways I reinstalled XP a second time, and now I can see the
    screen again.

    However I still have an issue trying to get a the display driver for the
    Dell E198FP monitor. I went to Microsoft and downloaded the exe file that
    was supposed to be the driver, but all it contains is four text files, no
    driver itself. All the EXE file contained was a security catalog
    information file, a setup information file which includes no type of
    instructions, a version text vile and an ICC profile text file. So I'm
    still lost.

    CL B, Jan 26, 2008
  11. CL B

    Neil Green Guest

    "CL B" <> wrote in message
    >- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote
    >> WHY ??? What will change ??

    > Because when I restalled the XP I could see the
    > screen, it was an error I
    > made afterwards that made the screen not visable
    > (f'd with the display
    > settings). Anyways I reinstalled XP a second time,
    > and now I can see the
    > screen again.
    >
    > However I still have an issue trying to get a the
    > display driver for the
    > Dell E198FP monitor. I went to Microsoft and
    > downloaded the exe file that
    > was supposed to be the driver, but all it contains
    > is four text files, no
    > driver itself. All the EXE file contained was a
    > security catalog
    > information file, a setup information file which
    > includes no type of
    > instructions, a version text vile and an ICC profile
    > text file. So I'm
    > still lost.

    You don't need drivers for the monitor, and if the
    screen is now displaying as you wish then just leave
    the generic MS drivers for the video card that
    installed with XP.
    If you want to tweak the display and the options you
    need aren't available then install the correct drivers
    for your particular video card.(not the monitor)

    Neil Green, Jan 26, 2008
  12. CL B

    Paul Guest

    CL B wrote:
    > - Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote
    >> WHY ??? What will change ??

    > Because when I restalled the XP I could see the screen, it was an error I
    > made afterwards that made the screen not visable (f'd with the display
    > settings). Anyways I reinstalled XP a second time, and now I can see the
    > screen again.
    >
    > However I still have an issue trying to get a the display driver for the
    > Dell E198FP monitor. I went to Microsoft and downloaded the exe file that
    > was supposed to be the driver, but all it contains is four text files, no
    > driver itself. All the EXE file contained was a security catalog
    > information file, a setup information file which includes no type of
    > instructions, a version text vile and an ICC profile text file. So I'm
    > still lost.

    E198FP

    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...eid=R148705&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=210364

    ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/monitors/R148705.EXE -->
    C:\dell\drivers\R148705

    02/09/2007 06:07a 10,700 e198fp.cat
    12/12/2006 09:10a 552 E198FP.icm
    01/11/2007 05:45p 1,976 E198FP.inf
    05/31/2007 10:48p 1,143 Version.txt

    I would say the INF is what you want. It has the registry entries.

    HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"31.0-83.0,56.0-76.0,+,+"
    HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"E198FP.icm"

    The first one sets the resolution.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 26, 2008
  13. CL B

    Paul Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > CL B wrote:
    >> - Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote
    >>> WHY ??? What will change ??

    >> Because when I restalled the XP I could see the screen, it was an error I
    >> made afterwards that made the screen not visable (f'd with the display
    >> settings). Anyways I reinstalled XP a second time, and now I can see
    >> the
    >> screen again.
    >>
    >> However I still have an issue trying to get a the display driver for the
    >> Dell E198FP monitor. I went to Microsoft and downloaded the exe file
    >> that
    >> was supposed to be the driver, but all it contains is four text files, no
    >> driver itself. All the EXE file contained was a security catalog
    >> information file, a setup information file which includes no type of
    >> instructions, a version text vile and an ICC profile text file. So I'm
    >> still lost.
    >>

    > E198FP
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/dow...eid=R148705&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=210364
    >

    > ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/monitors/R148705.EXE -->
    > C:\dell\drivers\R148705
    >
    > 02/09/2007 06:07a 10,700 e198fp.cat
    > 12/12/2006 09:10a 552 E198FP.icm
    > 01/11/2007 05:45p 1,976 E198FP.inf
    > 05/31/2007 10:48p 1,143 Version.txt
    >
    > I would say the INF is what you want. It has the registry entries.
    >
    > HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"31.0-83.0,56.0-76.0,+,+"
    > HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"E198FP.icm"
    >
    > The first one sets the resolution.
    >
    > Paul

    Also, you can use this free program, to view the EDID information,
    which should be coming across the monitor cable. It should look
    similar to the example screen shot on the page.

    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 26, 2008
  14. CL B

    Neil Green Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > CL B wrote:
    >> - Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote
    >>> WHY ??? What will change ??

    >> Because when I restalled the XP I could see the
    >> screen, it was an error I
    >> made afterwards that made the screen not visable
    >> (f'd with the display
    >> settings). Anyways I reinstalled XP a second
    >> time, and now I can see the
    >> screen again.
    >>
    >> However I still have an issue trying to get a the
    >> display driver for the
    >> Dell E198FP monitor. I went to Microsoft and
    >> downloaded the exe file that
    >> was supposed to be the driver, but all it contains
    >> is four text files, no
    >> driver itself. All the EXE file contained was a
    >> security catalog
    >> information file, a setup information file which
    >> includes no type of
    >> instructions, a version text vile and an ICC
    >> profile text file. So I'm
    >> still lost.
    >>

    > E198FP
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/dow...eid=R148705&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=210364
    >
    > ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/monitors/R148705.EXE -->
    > C:\dell\drivers\R148705
    >
    > 02/09/2007 06:07a 10,700 e198fp.cat
    > 12/12/2006 09:10a 552 E198FP.icm
    > 01/11/2007 05:45p 1,976 E198FP.inf
    > 05/31/2007 10:48p 1,143 Version.txt
    >
    > I would say the INF is what you want. It has the
    > registry entries.
    >
    > HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"31.0-83.0,56.0-76.0,+,+"
    > HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"E198FP.icm"
    >
    > The first one sets the resolution.
    >
    > Paul

    Resolution, refresh rate and most other display
    properties can normally be adjusted with the display
    adapter software which will use the EDID of the
    monitor.
    You shoudn't need to install drivers for the monitor.

    Neil Green, Jan 26, 2008
  15. You can boot to Safe Mode, then go into the monitor itself and make
    adjustments, then hope when you reboot to Normal Mode, the settings hold.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 27, 2008