Reinstallation of WIN98 - Beginner needs help, Please!:)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mikita, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    Hello,

    When I bought a new computer I took the old HD out of my WIN98 e-machine and
    installed it on my HP - that worked just fine and I have access to my old
    files. This was a big deal and scary and I'm happy to leave it there
    because, I don't want to open the HP and take it out.

    Some one gave me a used HD which I put in the old e-machine. This machine
    will be used by my son for games. I used my emachine CD to reboot and ran a
    reinstall to NOT format the HDD. It said it was sucessfull. Now when I
    restart the machine it does not open in windows but at the DOS prompt. I
    only know a couple of cd and dir commands but its enough to show that the
    windows files are there.

    What do I do to get windows to open. I would appreciate any help or
    suggestions!

    Thanks!

    Mikita, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Mikita

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Try typing "win" (no quotes) at the dos prompt.

    In news:,
    Mikita <> using yellow ink, wrote in the snow
    thusly:

    --
    Juan
    RB deux

    Juan Pérez, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Mikita

    ICee Guest

    Mikita wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > When I bought a new computer I took the old HD out of my WIN98
    > e-machine and installed it on my HP - that worked just fine and I
    > have access to my old files. This was a big deal and scary and I'm
    > happy to leave it there because, I don't want to open the HP and take
    > it out.
    >
    > Some one gave me a used HD which I put in the old e-machine. This
    > machine will be used by my son for games. I used my emachine CD to
    > reboot and ran a reinstall to NOT format the HDD. It said it was
    > sucessfull. Now when I restart the machine it does not open in
    > windows but at the DOS prompt. I only know a couple of cd and dir
    > commands but its enough to show that the windows files are there.
    >
    > What do I do to get windows to open. I would appreciate any help or
    > suggestions!
    >
    > Thanks!

    Did you remove the floppy disk? Reset the BIOS to boot from the hard
    drive instead of the CD drive?

    --
    "God's Final Message to His Creation:
    'We apologize for the inconvenience.'"

    ICee, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    I tried but it says Bad Command or File Name.

    Mikita, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    Hi,
    There's no floppy there.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand the BIOs, can you give me some more
    direction. Thanks! :)

    Mikita, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Mikita

    °Mike° Guest

    Start again, and do it right.

    How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:22:42 -0900, in
    <>
    Mikita scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Mikita

    ICee Guest

    Mikita wrote:
    > Hi,
    > There's no floppy there.
    > I'm sorry but I don't understand the BIOs, can you give me some more
    > direction. Thanks! :)

    You said you used your e-machine CD to reboot. Did you boot from the
    CD?
    When the DOS prompt comes up, does it show C:\, or D:\? (if not, what
    does it show)?

    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Mikita wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> When I bought a new computer I took the old HD out of my WIN98
    >>> e-machine and installed it on my HP - that worked just fine and I
    >>> have access to my old files. This was a big deal and scary and I'm
    >>> happy to leave it there because, I don't want to open the HP and
    >>> take it out.
    >>>
    >>> Some one gave me a used HD which I put in the old e-machine. This
    >>> machine will be used by my son for games. I used my emachine CD to
    >>> reboot and ran a reinstall to NOT format the HDD. It said it was
    >>> sucessfull. Now when I restart the machine it does not open in
    >>> windows but at the DOS prompt. I only know a couple of cd and dir
    >>> commands but its enough to show that the windows files are there.

    [snip]

    ICee, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    it says c:\>

    Mikita, Feb 1, 2004
  9. Mikita

    Bob B Guest

    type in 'win'

    Bob B, Feb 1, 2004
  10. Mikita

    ICee Guest

    Mikita wrote:
    > it says c:\>

    In that case, I suggest you follow the instructions in the link °Mike°
    gave.
    Good luck.

    ICee, Feb 1, 2004
  11. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    Juan, Mike, BobB,ICee, tthanks for your help. It's working! I didn't follwo
    the we site was too confusing and really know where to start. So I rebooted
    and selected t he option to Format the Hard Dirve. It worked. What's with
    the echo thing and all the yes, no questions at the end i took a bunch of
    uneduated guesses, and it seemed to like what I said. I'm sure I'll be in
    touch again, I'm going to add a network our computers. Take care. Happy
    Superbowl!

    Mikita, Feb 1, 2004
  12. Mikita wrote:

    > Hello,

    > Some one gave me a used HD which I put in the old e-machine. This machine
    > will be used by my son for games. I used my emachine CD to reboot and ran a
    > reinstall to NOT format the HDD. It said it was sucessfull. Now when I
    > restart the machine it does not open in windows but at the DOS prompt. I
    > only know a couple of cd and dir commands but its enough to show that the
    > windows files are there.
    >
    > What do I do to get windows to open. I would appreciate any help or
    > suggestions!

    Two possibilities:
    1) At the prompt, type "win" (without the quotes) and see if that works
    2) Do the install again.. and this time choose to reformat.

    Installing MS-Windows on top of itself without blowing away the old
    version makes for a bad install.

    "Nuke-n-pave" is really the only safe way to go.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Feb 1, 2004