Reinstall single component from Win98 CD?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jackrabbit@no.spam.com, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Guest

    The standard media player which came with Win98 got screwed when I
    downloaded a newer heftier unwanted verion (7.x). I unstalled the 7.x
    media player and wanted to reinstall the original one but can't figure
    out how.

    What I've done:

    Programs Add/Remove
    Click Windows Setup
    Highlighted and checked [x] Multimedia
    Clicked Details
    Made sure all components were checked, including media player
    Clicked HAVE DISK
    Had Win98 CD ROM loaded in CD drive.
    Switched the drive letter to i:\ [where my CD ROM Drive is]

    And nothing happens. A popup comes up that is supposed to include a
    list of the components available on the disk being accessed, but
    nothing comes up. It apparently doesn't find the multimedia components
    on the CD automatically, and I have no idea where MS buried them.

    Anyone? Thanks!

    J.

    , Aug 12, 2003

  2. trout Guest

    J. wrote:

    > The standard media player which came with Win98 got screwed when I
    > downloaded a newer heftier unwanted verion (7.x). I unstalled the 7.x
    > media player and wanted to reinstall the original one but can't figure
    > out how.
    >
    > What I've done:
    >
    > Programs Add/Remove
    > Click Windows Setup
    > Highlighted and checked [x] Multimedia
    > Clicked Details
    > Made sure all components were checked, including media player
    > Clicked HAVE DISK
    > Had Win98 CD ROM loaded in CD drive.
    > Switched the drive letter to i:\ [where my CD ROM Drive is]
    >
    > And nothing happens. A popup comes up that is supposed to include a
    > list of the components available on the disk being accessed, but
    > nothing comes up. It apparently doesn't find the multimedia components
    > on the CD automatically, and I have no idea where MS buried them.
    >
    > Anyone? Thanks!
    >
    > J.

    Depending on the version you're looking for; it may be easier to
    just download a copy:
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp
    --
    "One way to go."