    won't fit in an AGP slot with three keys but the regular three key AGP
    card should fit in the turbo slot with two keys. Should this work or
    will I see smoke? Kind of hard to find the single slot card even on Ebay.
    Meat Plow, Aug 29, 2007

  2. Meat Plow

    meerkat Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have this ATI Rage Pro "Turbo AGP" card that has failed. I notice it has
    > only two key slots on the edge connector. A couple other AGP cards I had
    > in the junk box have three key slots. Obviously the two slot turbo card
    > won't fit in an AGP slot with three keys but the regular three key AGP
    > card should fit in the turbo slot with two keys. Should this work or
    > will I see smoke? Kind of hard to find the single slot card even on Ebay.

    For godsake don`t risk it `till you can be sure MP.
    You could end up blowing the Mboard.
    Is the layout on the card similar/the same ?.
    meerkat, Aug 29, 2007

  3. Meat Plow

    Vanguard Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >I have this ATI Rage Pro "Turbo AGP" card that has failed. I notice
    >it has
    > only two key slots on the edge connector. A couple other AGP cards I
    > had
    > in the junk box have three key slots. Obviously the two slot turbo
    > card
    > won't fit in an AGP slot with three keys but the regular three key
    > AGP
    > card should fit in the turbo slot with two keys. Should this work or
    > will I see smoke? Kind of hard to find the single slot card even on
    > Ebay.

    Look at the pictures in the slot layouts to figure out which you have.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agp
    Vanguard, Aug 29, 2007
  4. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:43:04 -0500, Vanguard wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >>I have this ATI Rage Pro "Turbo AGP" card that has failed. I notice
    >>it has
    >> only two key slots on the edge connector. A couple other AGP cards I
    >> had
    >> in the junk box have three key slots. Obviously the two slot turbo
    >> card
    >> won't fit in an AGP slot with three keys but the regular three key
    >> AGP
    >> card should fit in the turbo slot with two keys. Should this work or
    >> will I see smoke? Kind of hard to find the single slot card even on
    >> Ebay.

    > Look at the pictures in the slot layouts to figure out which you have.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agp

    The card in question is keyed for 3.3 volts only. I have replacement
    prospects that are keyed for both 3.3 and 1.5 volts. I don't have the PC
    here to see what keying the actual slot has so maybe that should be my
    next step. I gather and correct me if I'm wrong that an AGP card keyed for
    both 3.3 and 1.5 volts will work in a slot keyed for 3.3 volts only.

    Thanks for the Wiki page, shud have looked it up first.
    Meat Plow, Aug 29, 2007
  5. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:19:03 +0000, meerkat wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >>I have this ATI Rage Pro "Turbo AGP" card that has failed. I notice it has
    >> only two key slots on the edge connector. A couple other AGP cards I had
    >> in the junk box have three key slots. Obviously the two slot turbo card
    >> won't fit in an AGP slot with three keys but the regular three key AGP
    >> card should fit in the turbo slot with two keys. Should this work or
    >> will I see smoke? Kind of hard to find the single slot card even on Ebay.
    >>

    > For godsake don`t risk it `till you can be sure MP.
    > You could end up blowing the Mboard.
    > Is the layout on the card similar/the same ?.

    See the Wiki page that Vangaurd posted. The bad card has one 3.3 volt key.
    The replacements I have have in addition to the 3.3, a 1.5 volt key. Read
    the compatabilty section and see if you agree that the dual voltage card
    should be compatable in a slot that would take a single 3.3 volt keyed
    card.
    Meat Plow, Aug 29, 2007
  6. Meat Plow

    Vanguard Guest

    "Meat Plow" wrote in message news:...

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >> "Meat Plow" wrote ...
    >>
    >>> I have this ATI Rage Pro "Turbo AGP" card that has failed. I
    >>> notice
    >>> it has
    >>> only two key slots on the edge connector. A couple other AGP cards
    >>> had
    >>> in the junk box have three key slots. Obviously the two slot turbo
    >>> card
    >>> won't fit in an AGP slot with three keys but the regular three key
    >>> AGP
    >>> card should fit in the turbo slot with two keys. Should this work
    >>> or
    >>> will I see smoke? Kind of hard to find the single slot card even
    >>> on
    >>> Ebay.

    >> Look at the pictures in the slot layouts to figure out which you
    >> have.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agp

    > The card in question is keyed for 3.3 volts only. I have replacement
    > prospects that are keyed for both 3.3 and 1.5 volts. I don't have
    > the PC
    > here to see what keying the actual slot has so maybe that should be
    > my
    > next step. I gather and correct me if I'm wrong that an AGP card
    > keyed for
    > both 3.3 and 1.5 volts will work in a slot keyed for 3.3 volts only.

    No, an AGP video card that has both the 3.3V and 1.5V slots in its PCB
    will fit in either a 3.3V or 1.5V slot. That's why you could end up
    frying a 1.5V AGP card by putting it into a slot configured for 3.3V
    operation. Basically having both key slots for a non-Pro AGP card
    means it will behave as though the slot was a universal one. As noted
    in the Wiki article:

    "However it is important to check voltage compatibility as some cards
    incorrectly have dual notches and some motherboards incorrectly have
    fully open slots. Furthermore, some poorly designed older 3.3 V cards
    incorrectly have the 1.5 V key. Inserting a card into a slot that does
    not support the correct signaling voltage may cause damage."

    You should be able to determine from the motherboard's manual as to
    what AGP cards and voltages are supported. You should be able to pick
    off the brand and model number from stickers or PCB etchings to then
    go find a manual on that AGP video card.

    The AGP pinout link on that page will tell you what voltages are
    supported by the slots in the PCB for the AGP video card. Since you
    seem to have a double-slotted AGP video card then it should auto-sense
    3.3V or 1.5V operation. The old AGP video card had just the one 3.3V
    key so the AGP slot is probably configured to work at 3.3V which the
    replacement AGP video card should handle. At this point, you'll have
    to go read the manual for your motherboard which was not identified
    here. You still want to make sure there isn't some custom
    configuration where, for example, the user could change the default
    for auto-sense on voltage to instead use a user-configured voltage
    which was set to something different than the video card can handle.
    I don't recall seeing such a setting but then I don't focus on
    motherboards that let me tweak every conceivable setting (I usually
    only get those that let me tweak CPU and memory timings).
    Vanguard, Aug 30, 2007
  7. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:27:31 -0500, Vanguard wrote:

    > No, an AGP video card that has both the 3.3V and 1.5V slots in its PCB
    > will fit in either a 3.3V or 1.5V slot. That's why you could end up
    > frying a 1.5V AGP card by putting it into a slot configured for 3.3V
    > operation. Basically having both key slots for a non-Pro AGP card
    > means it will behave as though the slot was a universal one. As noted
    > in the Wiki article:

    <snip>

    So in essence I can expect a card keyed for both 3.3 and 1.5 volts to work
    in a slot keyed for 3.3 volts only as long as the slot is configured
    correctly? I suppose the config is in CMOS? Sorry to be stupid about this
    but I've not had to mess with this crap. I've just ASSumed that if it fits
    in the slot it should work.
    Meat Plow, Aug 30, 2007
  8. Meat Plow

    Sunny Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:27:31 -0500, Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >> No, an AGP video card that has both the 3.3V and 1.5V slots in its PCB
    >> will fit in either a 3.3V or 1.5V slot. That's why you could end up
    >> frying a 1.5V AGP card by putting it into a slot configured for 3.3V
    >> operation. Basically having both key slots for a non-Pro AGP card
    >> means it will behave as though the slot was a universal one. As noted
    >> in the Wiki article:

    > <snip>
    >
    > So in essence I can expect a card keyed for both 3.3 and 1.5 volts to work
    > in a slot keyed for 3.3 volts only as long as the slot is configured
    > correctly? I suppose the config is in CMOS? Sorry to be stupid about this
    > but I've not had to mess with this crap. I've just ASSumed that if it fits
    > in the slot it should work.

    I went through the same exercise trying to use a 3DFX Voodoo 5 AGP for
    flight sims.
    None of the more modern boards had 3.3V slots, but I could choose from these
    :)
    AGP 3.3V compatible : Pref V 2.0
    ALi Aladdin V AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    ALi MAGiK 1 (M1647) Universal AGP Motherboard
    ALi M1649 Universal AGP Motherboard
    AMD 750 (751) AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    AMD 760 (761) Universal AGP Motherboard
    Intel 440BX AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    Intel 440EX AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    Intel 440GX AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    Intel 440LX AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    Intel 440ZX AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    Intel 440ZX-66 AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    Intel 815 Universal AGP Motherboard
    Intel 820 Universal AGP Motherboard
    Intel 840 Universal AGP Motherboard
    SiS630 Universal AGP Motherboard
    SiS645 Universal AGP Motherboard
    SiS650 Universal AGP Motherboard
    SiS651 Universal AGP Motherboard
    SiS730 Universal AGP Motherboard
    SiS733 Universal AGP Motherboard
    SiS735 Universal AGP Motherboard
    SiS745 Universal AGP Motherboard
    VIA KM133 (VT8365) Universal AGP Motherboard
    VIA KM266 (VT8375) Universal AGP Motherboard
    VIA KT133 (VT8363) Universal AGP Motherboard
    VIA KT266 (VT8366) Universal AGP Motherboard
    VIA KT333 (VT8367) Universal AGP Motherboard (but some
    VIA KX133 (VT8371) Universal AGP Motherboard
    VIA MVP3 (VT82C598AT) AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    VIA P4M266 (VT8751) Universal AGP Motherboard (but most implementations are
    AGP 1.5V Motherboard)
    VIA P4X266 (VT8753) Universal AGP Motherboard
    VIA P4X266A (VT8752) Universal AGP Motherboard
    VIA PM133 (VT8605) Universal AGP Motherboard
    VIA Pro (VT82C691) AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    VIA Pro 133 (VT82C693A) AGP 3.3V Motherboard
    VIA Pro 133A (VT82C694X) Universal AGP Motherboard
    VIA Pro 266 (VT8633) Universal AGP Motherboard
    Sunny, Aug 31, 2007
  9. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:22:04 +0000, Sunny wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:27:31 -0500, Vanguard wrote:
    >>
    >>> No, an AGP video card that has both the 3.3V and 1.5V slots in its PCB
    >>> will fit in either a 3.3V or 1.5V slot. That's why you could end up
    >>> frying a 1.5V AGP card by putting it into a slot configured for 3.3V
    >>> operation. Basically having both key slots for a non-Pro AGP card
    >>> means it will behave as though the slot was a universal one. As noted
    >>> in the Wiki article:

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> So in essence I can expect a card keyed for both 3.3 and 1.5 volts to work
    >> in a slot keyed for 3.3 volts only as long as the slot is configured
    >> correctly? I suppose the config is in CMOS? Sorry to be stupid about this
    >> but I've not had to mess with this crap. I've just ASSumed that if it fits
    >> in the slot it should work.

    > I went through the same exercise trying to use a 3DFX Voodoo 5 AGP for
    > flight sims.
    > None of the more modern boards had 3.3V slots, but I could choose from these
    > :)

    Thanks for the info. I haven't even looked at the PC yet. My sis gave me
    the card and asked if i could test it. Guess my next move is to pay sis a
    visit and see if the card just needed reseated. She said the PC made some
    beeps so maybe a reseat will fix it up. The system is old, maybe a P3.

    Meat Plow, Aug 31, 2007