Regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll ran for IE6 - any potential harm ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Michael, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Running W98 with IE6 and lost ability to show jpg previews in Win Explorer.
    I found following 'fixes':

    IE4: run 'Regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll' then 'Regsvr32.exe /i mshtml.dll'
    IE5: run 'Regsvr32.exe /i shdoc401.dll' then 'Regsvr32.exe /i mshtml.dll'

    In an odd moment I tried both these methods and wonder if they did any harm
    as I run IE6. They ran successfully and do not appear to have caused any
    damage. They did not fix the preview problem and in case anyone has similar
    the correct fix is described here:

    Image Previews Not Displayed in Windows Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192573

    --
    Regards

    Michael (note email modified)
    Michael, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    The commands will have done no harm. You just requested that
    the files following the /i be installed (registered). They probably
    already were.

    Try the following fix for your jpg preview. Copy/paste the following
    into notepad, and save as a .reg file. Merge into your registry and
    reboot.

    ***** <-- omit this line
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
    @="jpegfile"
    "Content Type"="image/jpeg"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    ***** <-- omit this line

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:42:10 +0100, in
    <bj2knv$4af$>
    "Michael" <news_acc[REMOVE]@hotmail.com> scrawled:

    >Running W98 with IE6 and lost ability to show jpg previews in Win Explorer.
    >I found following 'fixes':
    >
    >IE4: run 'Regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll' then 'Regsvr32.exe /i mshtml.dll'
    >IE5: run 'Regsvr32.exe /i shdoc401.dll' then 'Regsvr32.exe /i mshtml.dll'
    >
    >In an odd moment I tried both these methods and wonder if they did any harm
    >as I run IE6. They ran successfully and do not appear to have caused any
    >damage. They did not fix the preview problem and in case anyone has similar
    >the correct fix is described here:
    >
    >Image Previews Not Displayed in Windows Explorer
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192573

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > The commands will have done no harm. You just requested that
    > the files following the /i be installed (registered). They probably
    > already were.
    >
    > Try the following fix for your jpg preview. Copy/paste the following
    > into notepad, and save as a .reg file. Merge into your registry and
    > reboot.
    >

    > ***** <-- omit this line
    > REGEDIT4
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
    > @="jpegfile"
    > "Content Type"="image/jpeg"
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx]
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    > @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"
    >
    > ***** <-- omit this line
    >

    > On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:42:10 +0100, in
    > <bj2knv$4af$>
    > "Michael" <news_acc[REMOVE]@hotmail.com> scrawled:
    >
    >> Running W98 with IE6 and lost ability to show jpg previews in Win
    >> Explorer. I found following 'fixes':
    >>
    >> IE4: run 'Regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll' then 'Regsvr32.exe /i
    >> mshtml.dll' IE5: run 'Regsvr32.exe /i shdoc401.dll' then
    >> 'Regsvr32.exe /i mshtml.dll'
    >>
    >> In an odd moment I tried both these methods and wonder if they did
    >> any harm as I run IE6. They ran successfully and do not appear to
    >> have caused any damage. They did not fix the preview problem and in
    >> case anyone has similar the correct fix is described here:
    >>
    >> Image Previews Not Displayed in Windows Explorer
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192573

    Good to know no harm was done - the MS support page I referenced gave a
    registry fix for the problem. Thanks for your time.

    Michael, Sep 4, 2003